Author Topic: Uh... odd question, but...  (Read 1047 times)

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
Re: Uh... odd question, but...
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 07:25:26 AM »
You make a real good point about the Braun. I usually splurge on things I use that frequently anyway... My only hesitation is durability. I've never bought a pure electric yet simply because I have found myself having to shave in many... weird situations (Driving, on a Bivouac, etc...) and I don't wanna destroy such an expensive object. Does that $150 model hold up decently to adverse environments?

My first braun survived USAF survival training three times...  Once as a student, twice as an instructor.  The batteries were not very good on the third trip and they aren't user replaceable, but the newer batteries are much better now.  The cheaper brauns are also fairly durable and you can buy a spare just in case.

The braun I use now is fairly durable.  It is plastic but has not cracked after a few years of "normal" use.  It has a clip-on cover that protects the foil when you're not using it, and it also comes with a storage pouch that does a decent job.  I always put the cover clip on when I'm done, and when I travel with it I put it in the carry pouch and then put the carry pouch into my toiletry kit with my toothbrush and other usual stuff.  I haven't had one break on a trip, although I have ruined a couple of foils when I dropped the shaver into the sink while shaving.  The foil is the only really fragile part and sometimes it's a pain to hunt down and find replacement foils for your exact model, so it's a good idea to have a replacement foil handy.

That said, if I'm travelling "light", I'll steal one of my wife's disposable razers for my backup instead of hauling around an extra foil or spare razor.  But if I'm going on a long trip away from civilization, I'll bring the whole spare razor just in case.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 07:34:37 AM »
And BTW your school's economics teacher must suck if you hadn't heard about the razor blade marketing model.  It should be taught in the very first high school class where basic economic principles are introduced.  It is very odd that you've gotten as far as you have in school without being taught that...  Damn commie teachers must be afraid that if kids learn about gillette and razor blades, they'll turn in to evil capitalists  :mad:

Only reason I ever figure this stuff out is because it's how my mind works (fear me! :devil). My school didn't have any sort of economics outside of discussions on The Great Depression.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 07:38:31 AM »
I got two things on my 18th birthday.  A Mach 3 razor and a pretty card from the SSS that they wanted filled out and returned.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2009, 07:44:14 AM »
I got off the Fusion-MachII-multiblade merry-go-round a year or so and went to the old-fashioned double-edged safety razor and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.  I always had the feeling like I was being taken advantage of.    They'd bring out a new version and all of a sudden I'm paying $17 dollars for 4 friggin' blades.  Now I get a better shave at a much better price.  It does take a little bit longer - not much - but it's also more of a ritual to be enjoyed.

I got a nice Merkur shaver for $50 and a quality brush for $30.  You can do much better though.  Razor blades cost about $6 for a pack of 10.  You can get more expensive razor blades for $12 that last about twice as long.  Shaving soap costs about $3 and lasts a looong time.  Months and months.  You can also buy fancy pre-shave oils and shaving powders and creams.  Nice to have but shaving soap works just fine.

Another benefit is that now I get to use the aftershave lotion I've been accumulating at Christmas and what not. Finally breaking into the strategic reserve of aftershave I've been building up all my life.  

I find the whole safety razor experience quite enjoyable, totally unlike being taken for a ride every few years when Gillette unveils their newest money making bs.  Maybe it's the cool retro aspect, the idea of shaving like they did in the 50s and 60s.  Though there's also a sense of satisfaction that comes with using the right tool for the job.  

I'm looking into this now.   I'm even looking into a straight razor.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2009, 07:45:00 AM »
I got off the Fusion-MachII-multiblade merry-go-round a year or so and went to the old-fashioned double-edged safety razor and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.  I always had the feeling like I was being taken advantage of.    They'd bring out a new version and all of a sudden I'm paying $17 dollars for 4 friggin' blades.  Now I get a better shave at a much better price.  It does take a little bit longer - not much - but it's also more of a ritual to be enjoyed.

i don't enjoy shaving....not even remotely. i friggin hate it.  the problem is that i don't like hair on my face either.

if i could nair my beard, i'd do it in a heartbeat..........

that's why i go for the razor that gets my face clean the fastest...which so far has been the mach 3. i don't use any shaving creams, but rather i shave in the shower, and use soap lather(ivory soap). it works better than any shaving cream i've tried.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2009, 08:55:06 AM »
Just.....grow a beard  :old:
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »
I generally shave every other day at a minimum, or the office would send me home.  Also, although it grows quite fast, my hair is not yet thick enough for a good beard.  (Best of both worlds!  :() I could rock a goatee..but really who wants that. 

I can't believe some of you guys can rock those disposables...my skin is waaay too sensitive for that.  I've actually found that both Gillette and Schick 3 bladers are interchangeable.  I accidentally bought Gillette blades for my Schick and they fit just fine.  I'll have to try the electric 3 bladers you guys are ranting about -- I'm very rarely happy with my shave. 

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »

the last time i shaved was the day i got out of the marines. I do keep it trimmed. :old:

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2009, 10:12:43 AM »
Shop at sams club,costco,Bjs Wholesale club or something like that . blades for th powered fusion are like 20 for sixteen blades . A better deal !
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2009, 10:15:03 AM »
[q :bolt:uote author=john9001 link=topic=276490.msg3470666#msg3470666 date=1256223982]
the last time i shaved was the day i got out of the marines. I do keep it trimmed. :old:
[/quote]

i can't stand hair on my face.

i wish the hair on my head would grow as fast as my friggin beard!  :rofl :noid
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2009, 02:00:08 PM »

I have a beard now, but I still have to shave.  I have a goatee with no moustache in the spring and summer and a full beard in the fall and winter.  I still have to shave my lower neck and cheek area though.  Even a beard doesn't exempt you from paying the razorblade tax. 

Laser hair removal for the places you don't want to shave maybe?

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2009, 02:23:02 PM »
Just ran into this after reading this thread: lol

LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2009, 02:55:12 PM »
Just ran into this after reading this thread: lol

That's funny.  My girlfriend was pushing me to go full beard though.  Some women are cooler than others.

madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2009, 05:34:48 PM »
uggg, i personally hate those electric razors, seems like you have to go over like 4-5 times to get it all and then half time get razor burn from it, i just use a normal razor and shaving cream, go over 1-2 times and all gone

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2009, 05:36:17 PM »
I also use the Fusion non-powered. Got it in a hotel package down in daytona beach, loved it ever since. Really annoyed at the prices for heads but it works.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com