Author Topic: Need help with configuring a home based network  (Read 720 times)

Offline MjTalon

• Gold Member
      • 82nd FG Home
Need help with configuring a home based network
« on: November 10, 2009, 06:58:39 AM »
I'm attempting to configure two computers ( My own & another desktop in my house ) to connect and share connections via my Comcast High Speed Cable modem and a 5-port etherfast Linksys switch.

Now here is the problem. It will BRIEFLY allow the second computer to access the internet until you refresh the page then it will say that it has encountered a connection problem and from then on out will not allow the second computer to access the net. I've enabled ISC on both networks and still nothing. I'm convinced it's something on the XP that is blocking the connection. Everything is wired correctly but I'm stomped on this one.

Anyone have any advice on configuring the second computer to connect?

S.A.P.P.
Cavalier - 82nd F.G
Group Commanding Officer

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Re: Need help with configuring a home based network
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 11:11:39 AM »
Does your ISP allow more than 1 computer to be connected at the same time? I don't know how comcast works (people say they suck) but some ISP's only allow for one computer to get an I.P. address at at time...to bypass that you can use a router with a built in switch instead of just a switch. The router presents a single unit connection to your modem then creates it's own network protocols assigns I.P.'s to each computer connected to it through the switch. Your ISP only sees one device connected through the modem.

That's just a simplified overview, there are other things that need to be setup on the router to make it work properly...in short, avoid problems and buy a good router with at least a 4 port switch built into it.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
When I had a cable modem leading to a Lynksys(sp) router, I had to turn on the computers first, then the router, and wait for it to map the computers(2-3 min) then turn on the modem.  Worked every time.
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Ghastly

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:02:09 PM »
I assume you mean ICS - as in Internet Connection sharing - and it sounds like you have it incorrectly wired like this:

[cable] -> [cable modem] ->
[Switch] ->[Computer 1 with ICS enabled] & [Computer 2 with ICS enabled] & [Computer 3 (etc)...

If you are going to use ICS (which I really don't recommend), you need to set it up like this:
[cable] -> [cable modem] -> [Nic 1(in Computer with ICS) Nic 2] -> [Switch] -> [Computer 2 (no ICS)] &  [Computer 3 (no ICS)] ...

Note that the ICS computer has 2 network adapters - and the other computer does NOT have ICS installed. A much better solution is to use a hardware Internet Gateway router(i.e. Linksys, Dlink, etc)

Then you'd connect it like this, and for a few dollars, have a much more robust and better protected home network.

[cable] -> [cable modem] -> [
Internet Gateway] ->[Computer 1 (no ICS)] & [Computer 2 (no ICS)] &  [Computer 3 (no ICS)] ...

<S>
"Curse your sudden (but inevitable!) betrayal!"
Grue

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 12:39:00 PM »
You really need a router.  The router is assigned an IP address by the service provider and it, in turn, assigns internal network IP addresses to each computer (or other device) attached to it.

The router contains a NAT firewall making the computers connected to it inaccessable to outside attack.

I've got a Lynksys wireless router with two computers and a network printer attached by wire and my laptop connected wirelessly. 

If I do have to power cycle the modem or router, I turn off all the computers, power cycle the modem and router together (since they are on the same surge protector), then re-boot the computers but that's a rare occurance.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 12:01:16 PM »
As BaldEagl said, you really need a NAT router. For a great, fun understanding of the issues and principles, just watch the two movies from HERE:

http://www.askmisterwizard.com/Netw/NAT/Nat.htm

You especially want to watch the one entitled "NAT Routers Part 2: Multiple PCs (Internet Connection Sharing)".

Regards,

-Peabody-

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 02:05:41 AM »
routers really suck for somethings. i could flood out a router with all the downloading and applications  i run.

1 computer with 2 nics using ICS has served me well and has never been flooded out.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:49:26 AM »
Linksys used to have quick connect software on their web page. Bit of a job but if you bring the other computers to the hardwire and run the quicl connect it should cut thru any problems and connect you to your network.

Sounds to me like a firewall issue. Turn off your firewalls. That or some kind of setting in the security tab of IE, "assuming your surfing with IE".
« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:31:08 AM by Rich46yo »
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:06:27 AM »
routers really suck for somethings. i could flood out a router with all the downloading and applications  i run.

1 computer with 2 nics using ICS has served me well and has never been flooded out.
And I can flood out your computer with a single hack...not to mention some of the other nasty things that can be done to a Winblows system using ICS very easily without a NAT firewall...but then you probably have one in place.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 01:23:22 PM »
Here is the setup I have, (DSL though)

DSL modem to linsys 5 port router then split between 3 computers. The router is hard wired to each computer, I have had no slow downs when all 3 computers are online. Might be something to think about trying.
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 03:55:42 PM »
i could flood out a router with all the downloading and applications  i run.

I figure that since I can download/seed eight-ten torrents, run BOINC and Life with Playstation with a few downloads on Firefox, you must be running some hellish downloads.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2009, 06:28:04 PM »
I figure that since I can download/seed eight-ten torrents, run BOINC and Life with Playstation with a few downloads on Firefox, you must be running some hellish downloads.

i should note its not the downstream i flood out its the upstream, when i run my cam scanner i am run 50-100 cam bots and when i do that on a router it chokes it out but when i do it with ICS and 2 nics with a hub it run just fine. i think alot of it has to do with the QOS . just knows it works better then a router for me. opinions and mileage my vary

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2009, 10:27:06 PM »
Another option (maybe not the best for the OP, but for some of the rest of you download/upload freaks that are tech savvy-er) is to run a Smoothwall (link: http://www.smoothwall.org ).  Its a linux-based firewall/router that is GPL (free to download and use) and will run extremely well on old PC hardware that you would otherwise have no use for.  If you have a P3 sitting around collecting dust, this could be its next lease on life.  Its extremely configurable, secure, and if you're a torrent downloader it will immensely improve performance over consumer routers (and many commercial ones).

I've set up a Smoothwall with low power usage in mind, using the lowest wattage CPU I could find a motherboard for and installed on a flash drive (using a special setup to limit read/writes).
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2009, 10:33:27 PM »
The forums lagged and it appears I double posted.  This can be deleted.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2009, 10:47:21 PM by BoilerDown »
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline TheZohan

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2009, 10:48:34 PM »
i used freesco a few times and i flooded that out as well