Author Topic: Aircraft Assignments  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
Aircraft Assignments
« on: November 12, 2009, 11:37:10 PM »
I have been flying FSO for a fair amount of time and I am curious as to why aircraft assignments aren't rotated from frame to frame.

I like to fly bombers and fighters and attack aircraft, but don't stick a squad in a bomber, or fighter, or attack, for the whole scenario, switch it up.

Not to sound like a little league coach or anything, but let everyone have a turn in a different aircraft.

Just a thought, had to get that out there. :joystick:
I would rather try and fail, than not try at all. (paraphrased)
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline trotter

• Silver Member
Re: Aircraft Assignments
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 04:00:59 AM »
I have been flying FSO for a fair amount of time and I am curious as to why aircraft assignments aren't rotated from frame to frame.

They are.

FSO squads indicate their ride preference for each of the three frames. Each frame CO does their best to accomodate each squad's preference for each frame.

Occasionally there is a sacrifice that must be made, such as assigning a squad to Torpedo bombers when they requested fighters, however such decisions are made in the context of the overall event (the squad that makes a sacrifice for Torpedo bombers one frame will not be asked to sacrifice again the rest of the event).

To completely answer your question, simply some squads do not want to rotate every frame. Some want to stick with a 190, or P40, or P38, or whatever. They are, more often than not, accomodated for.

Just out of curiosity, why do you inquire about this?

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 04:08:38 PM »
We have been flying FSO for quite a while and only once have our rides changed from frame to frame, that being said we have a lot of rides listed for preference, and I don't understand why I (my squad) get stuck with the same ride for every frame.
F.D. Roosevelt

Offline boomerlu

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 04:43:14 PM »
I'm guessing that since you are "flexible" your squad gets "used" so that squads with strict ride preferences get their choice. Sounds bad, but think about it. The COs need to satisfy the strict ride prefs. Being flexible means you're stuck with whatever needs to be filled.

If you want to switch it up, negotiate with your squad and SPECIFICALLY set yourself to bomber, fighter, etc, but switch it on your squad's terms.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 04:45:02 PM by boomerlu »
boomerlu
JG11

Air Power rests at the apex of the first triad of victory, for it combines mobility, flexibility, and initiative.

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
Nevermind the tendency for some people to stick good (stick wise) squads in good rides in order to win the event and satisfy their preference requests . God help them if I ever CO an FSO, that crap wouldnt fly, dont care if your Gunther Rall of AcesHigh. If you have gotten your preferred ride time and time again your parade is over, let someone else have the good rides.

Strip
« Last Edit: November 13, 2009, 07:35:23 PM by Strip »

Offline kansas2

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2009, 11:46:54 PM »
Just got done flying the B5n tonight in FSO. I actually had fun. It's been awhile since I had to manually calibrate
and since no forward firing guns I didn't have to worry about much and just enjoyed the flight.   :)

332nd Flying Mongrels

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 12:25:35 AM »
Not much you can do if you want to play. I prefer the allied planes but since joining the squad  in the last 4  FSO's we've been axis in 3. Just play and have fun.

Flushed
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 02:56:43 PM »
The individual Frame CIC's have to make the hard decisions.  It's up to them to fulfill the Frame requirements of assigning aircraft for attack and defense in regards to the mininum and maximum allotments set forth by the CM's.

The CIC's will look at the ride requests that squad CO's update in the Special Events FSO Ride preferences.  This requires all squad CO's to update this information accordingly to the current FSO and current side of FSO.  If a squad has all Allied fighters listed but has been placed on the Axis side, how can a CIC truly know what the squad prefers from inaccurate information?

The second thing that Frame 2 and 3 CIC's do is look at the previous squad rides to try to rotate and balance out the assigned aircraft.  This is the hard and tricky part of the process where on occasion some squads get left out in the cold.

Always is the chance where the Frame CIC may have RL issues that prevent a thorough amount of time in creating the orders.  This why the best approach is to have a Squad FSO team that works together in getting the orders out.  Each planner can work on different aspects of the battle plan.  One issue is fuel for fighters and bombers.  Another issue is time to target for strike groups with fuel, altitude, and flight plan. 

In a perfect world, the squads will get the ride requests 2 frames out of 3 from current updated squad preferences coupled with CIC RL time to create orders and use all available information at hand.

The best answer to your question.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2009, 03:26:00 AM »
If you go to the FSO area of the forums you will see my post on how agonizing it is for CiC's to make sure that A) all squads get rotated into different rides each frame and B) Why CiC's have such a hard time with assignments when they know a certain squad's strengths because of the research they/I did for the frame orders.

I made every effort on Axis Frame 3 orders to switch up assignments from research from previous squads from previous Frames at every opportunity.

Those squads that had the same ride from my orders was because from both FSO and MA arena research it was glaringly obvious that from their squad's strengths an past track record of success...they got those orders because they showed that they could get through and get the objective DONE.  If you were a football coach, wouldn't you want the guy in the line-up doing the job you were confident they would excel at doing?

If they got the same assignment it was a tribute and honor to those squads because they had shown that through their past success and FSO and MA respect that they would again.  I had faith and a high level of respect for them.  After being a CiC, I can now see that every Frame planner has the same objective and hopes.

Being CiC was exceedingly eye opening as well as humbling. 

For the fisrt time, you appreciate the fact that all CiC's want each and every squad that shows up to contribute to be successful and have fun...giving them every tool and all the facts they need to get the job done.  From the biggest squad to the smallest--planing every detail so that all in the FSO have a fighting shot at achieving their objectives.

If anyone was offended, please take another look.  It was an honor...out of respect.

BTW:  WTFG!  My hat is off to ALL Axis Frame 3 participants!

ROX

Offline Gr8pape

• Copper Member
      • Swamp Revel Computers
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 10:44:34 AM »
I feel like I am giving out the wrong idea here. In no way did I ever diminish the CiC's job or plan for it to sound that way, I was just curious as to why squads get "stuck" (bad choice of words, my fault) in the same ride every week. I understand that track records show a squad strengths and their weakness and I have to say that my squadies are some really good bombers. I understand that being CiC is a hard gig, that's why I don't want it. I have a hard enough time just managing my squad, not having to deal with all of them for the frame.

That being said I do appreciate all the hard work that goes into setting up the frames for the week, and my hats off to ya and salute too. Please don't take my original thread as being whiny or griping, it was supposed to be a question nothing more.
F.D. Roosevelt