Author Topic: Question about X52 joystick modes switch  (Read 3330 times)

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Question about X52 joystick modes switch
« on: December 17, 2009, 05:43:47 PM »
Anyone who has a X52 joystick knows there's a mode switch on it for 3 different modes. A thought came to me today as to if there is a way to program those buttons to switch modes in-game. AHII has 3 modes (Air, vehicle, and god mode), so it would seem logical to set this switch to change modes in-game. Of course I have the option on in-game so the right mode is always on for every sortie, but still would be neat to do this.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: Question about X52 joystick modes switch
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 07:37:51 PM »
If you feel like messing with the X-52 software, you can do exactly that.
Program Mode 1 for fighter, Mode 2 for tanks and Mode 3 for what ever.
 :aok
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2009, 08:49:13 PM »
Anyone who has a X52 joystick knows there's a mode switch on it for 3 different modes. A thought came to me today as to if there is a way to program those buttons to switch modes in-game. AHII has 3 modes (Air, vehicle, and god mode), so it would seem logical to set this switch to change modes in-game. Of course I have the option on in-game so the right mode is always on for every sortie, but still would be neat to do this.
All you have to do is map it. You don't need the Saitek software. Each of the clicks on the wheel is a mode. I think mode selects are under global (in Aces High).

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 08:39:54 AM »
I tried to map the AH modes to the mode selector wheel on my X-52 Pro. It did work, but not very good: I found that the mode "button" was being activated in regular intervals, which was getting a problem when holding down my gun trigger, shooting would stop for a moment. As I'm depending on short, but controlled & precise bursts, that was intolerable for me.
I'm now toggling modes with the pinkie switch. (Doing it quite often, for me the different modes are setting up my 2-stage trigger in different ways)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline PFactorDave

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »
As it happens, the hat switch on my MS Sidewinder is wearing out, so I picked up an X52 when I saw a cheap price a few weeks back.  Planning to get it out of the box eventually...  I was wondering how people who have been using an X52 for awhile have their stick mapped?  I'm going to have to relearn a new stick anyway, so curious about other folks' ideas.

1st Lieutenant
FSO Liaison Officer
Rolling Thunder

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2009, 10:01:49 AM »
I'm running Vista 64 with a X52, and I do not remember installing Saitek's software, only the drivers.
Using that little "rotate switch" on the joystick I have set up to do exactly what you are speaking of. Mode 1, 2 and 3. It's working great for me actually.

One thing to pay attention to however is that AH likes to set modes automatically based upon what type of "craft" you are piloting/driving, so sometimes you have to rotate the mode switch to the next mode and roll it back just to reset it. (i.e. if you like Mode 3 to bomb in, and get in a bomber, AH will reset to Mode 1, so you have to roll the mode switch back to Mode 2 then up to Mode 3 for your bomber settings to activate).
If that makes sense.
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:10:56 AM »
One thing to pay attention to however is that AH likes to set modes automatically based upon what type of "craft" you are piloting/driving, so sometimes you have to rotate the mode switch to the next mode and roll it back just to reset it

Better just unselect "Auto select mode at start of flight" checkbox under Options->Map Controller. Problem solved.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Knite

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 10:43:24 AM »
Better just unselect "Auto select mode at start of flight" checkbox under Options->Map Controller. Problem solved.

Errr.... uhmm... yes.... well....
HEY LOOK IT'S ELVIS!!!
 :bolt:
Knite

39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"

I'm basically here to lower the 39th's score :P

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
I use the X52 mode select wheel to select guns for the first pressure on the trigger; primary, secondary, or all guns.

I just set up the AH modes 1, 3 and 4 identically apart from the trigger1 assignment, assigned a key to each mode then used the SST software to map the wheel to each key. works well :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:37:59 PM »
Dave,

When you get the 52 outta the box,try this,do a basic setup and dont program all the buttons.

Then once it's memorized start adding new commands 1 or 2 at a time.

Depending if you use the software or not will determine whats the "best" setup for you.

Myself,I keep it simple,joystick has guns,views and comms. throttle has all flight controls with the addition of the view modifier{look up} which is on my throttle to force me to keep both hands on throttle and stick.

If you look me up in the TA,I'll bounce some ideas off you!

:salute

Offline mtnman

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 12:52:57 PM »
As it happens, the hat switch on my MS Sidewinder is wearing out, so I picked up an X52 when I saw a cheap price a few weeks back.  Planning to get it out of the box eventually...  I was wondering how people who have been using an X52 for awhile have their stick mapped?  I'm going to have to relearn a new stick anyway, so curious about other folks' ideas.

I'll post a picture of my mapping, but in a different thread to avoid the hijack.
MtnMan

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not". Thomas Jefferson

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 02:15:23 PM »
You can map the mode switches in AH.

But to do this you do not need to use the saitek software.

The other problem with using mode switches is that their out put is constant. In efffect they output the equivilent of "press and hold down".

Hence (unless you want AH to respond to a button continually pressed) its best to use them for functions where the button remains pressed when in use for instance bomb sight calibration or perhaps an auto flap control. In either case "mode 2" position should be left unprogramed.

I use the MFD buttons (start/stop, reset)  and wheels in game as well as the scroll buttons and mode buttons and clutch buttons all programmed within AH without any saitek software running in the back ground. To do this you need to call the game control panel for the X52pro and leave it in the back ground. Then AH sees all the X52pro out puts as DX# functions. AH then uses these numbers (minus1) in its controller interface on the clip board.

To use it this way just leave the game controller panel running in the background then start AH and program every single button (except the mouse toggle ) in the AH map controller panel.
Ludere Vincere

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 02:19:22 PM »
The other problem with using mode switches is that their out put is constant. In efffect they output the equivilent of "press and hold down".

doesnt have to be, in SST you can set it to do just one keypress when the mode wheel is moved to a new position :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 02:52:08 PM »
I use the X52 mode select wheel to select guns for the first pressure on the trigger; primary, secondary, or all guns.

I just set up the AH modes 1, 3 and 4 identically apart from the trigger1 assignment, assigned a key to each mode then used the SST software to map the wheel to each key. works well :aok
What's the second click?

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 03:06:05 PM »
Very interesting posts. I'm just gonna leave mine as is, but still very interesting reading.  :aok