Author Topic: Watching History Channel's Dog Fight  (Read 1762 times)

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
Re: Watching History Channel's Dog Fight
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2009, 08:22:15 PM »
Ack Ack you seem to know a lot about planes <S>
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Stiglr

• Persona non grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2009, 10:49:10 PM »
And Remember. You're almost always getting only one side of the story.

I'd love to see them do a few shows featuring German and Jap. pilots.

+1.

Offline crutch

• Zinc Member
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2009, 12:10:05 PM »
you have to take everything you see on history channel with a grain of salt.  their fact checking and film to naration matchups is NOT 100%.

I have seen episodes about a specific AC have every film clip in it about every AC BUT the one the guy is talking about.

even when they match the right plane they dont always match the type.

an episode about P47s had a clip where the guy was talking about the P47Ns entering the PTO and they had a clip of a razorback Jug up.

someone in chargere there just doesnt care as long as the time is filled.
Crutch

Check Six - The Book

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #33 on: December 22, 2009, 05:00:27 AM »
That was Old 666, which much to the surprise of the Japanese that day, was the most heavily armed B-17 in the Pacific with no less than 19 .50 cal machine guns, including a pair that was able to be fired by the pilot.  They placed machine guns all over the place, including in spots where they didn't need any coverage.  They also stored replacement machine guns in the plane so if one gun jammed they could dump it and replace it with one of the spares.

On a side note, for those that think that heavy bombers never flew NOE, Old 666 made a bomb run on a Japanese carrier and was only 50ft above the carriers deck when it flew over.  In another raid, this time a day time raid over Rabuel, Old 666 was so low that it came home with branches from the tree tops it skimmed over stuck in various areas on the bomber's belly and the ball turret had one of the glass panes cracked from a tree strike on that mission.  On a night time attack on Wewak, Old 666 dove on and strafed the searchlights the Japanese used to locate the attacking bombers.

Sadly, not even the book that I have about the 5th AF has any pictures of Old 666 and can't seem to locate any at all searching the Intertardnet. 

One another interesting side note, no one wanted to fly with Lt. Col Zeamer, that's why before Old 666, he didn't have an assigned plane or crew and was considered a "pilot at large" but was never actually a pilot.  In fact, he was the most senior non pilot in the bomber group.  He never passed the checks to move from the co-pilot seat to the pilot seat, he failed on each attempt when he was assigned to the 22nd BG flying B-26s.  Pilots hated to have him in the co-pilot seat and was soon transferred out of the 22nd because of this.  When he was transferred to the 43rd BG, he as given odd jobs, when a crew was short he'd fill in but never as pilot.  It wasn't until a friend of his, Captain McCullar, took Zeamer under his wing and allowed him to join his crew sometimes as navigator and co-pilot.  For some reason, flying with McCullar really clicked with Zeamer and studying what McCullar did in the cockpit during some pretty harrowing missions.  After a handful of missions with McCullar's crew, Zeamer was finally ready to get a plane and crew of his own.  It was also McCullar that inspired Zeamer to outfit his bomber with all of those guns and the pilot operated guns also came from McCullan who had his own B-17 outfitted the same way.  After Zeamer got his own plane and crew and after the mission where he was attacked by all of those Zekes, he became widely known as one of the first and very few that would fly their heavy bombers like fighters.

ack-ack

The History channel had a picture of the 666 which they showed on the ground with the crew in front. Maybe check Histroychannel.com?  :airplane:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2009, 09:39:56 AM »
you have to take everything you see on history channel with a grain of salt.  their fact checking and film to naration matchups is NOT 100%.

I have seen episodes about a specific AC have every film clip in it about every AC BUT the one the guy is talking about.

even when they match the right plane they dont always match the type.

an episode about P47s had a clip where the guy was talking about the P47Ns entering the PTO and they had a clip of a razorback Jug up.

someone in chargere there just doesnt care as long as the time is filled.

I've noticed this especially when they are talking about Zeroes.  It seems like any plane with a meatball on the wing is good enough for filling in time.  I can see someone who doesn't know any better confusing the KI-43 and the A6M, but calling Vals and Kates Zeroes?

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2009, 09:54:06 AM »
I liked it when they compared the performance of the 109E-4 to the P-51D. :banana:
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline dedalos

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2009, 11:04:24 AM »
Ack Ack you seem to know a lot about planes <S>

Bombers only
Quote from: 2bighorn on December 15, 2010 at 03:46:18 PM
Dedalos pretty much ruined DA.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2009, 12:31:03 PM »
Bombers only

THE P-38 IS NOT A BOMBER! /stomp feet

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Stiglr

• Persona non grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2009, 12:43:55 PM »
Just seems like one when it's filling your gunsight....  :D

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2009, 06:44:55 PM »
"THE P-38 IS NOT A BOMBER! /stomp feet"

Some P-38s were flown as bombers. The lead P-38 was fitted with a 'glass' nose, carried a bombardier and a Norden sight, and was known as a 'Droop Snoot'. The P-38s flying formation on him released their bombs when they saw his go, the same 'drop on the lead bomber's signal' procedure as used by the big boys.

The last place I'd look for historical veracity would be the History and Discovery channels; the commentary is all too often uninformed, inaccurate, 'gung-ho' drivel and the film editors haven't a clue.

:cool:

« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 06:49:06 PM by Simba »
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Motherland

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2009, 06:58:15 PM »
Simba; he was kidding :)

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #41 on: December 22, 2009, 07:44:58 PM »
"THE P-38 IS NOT A BOMBER! /stomp feet"

Some P-38s were flown as bombers. The lead P-38 was fitted with a 'glass' nose, carried a bombardier and a Norden sight, and was known as a 'Droop Snoot'. The P-38s flying formation on him released their bombs when they saw his go, the same 'drop on the lead bomber's signal' procedure as used by the big boys.

The last place I'd look for historical veracity would be the History and Discovery channels; the commentary is all too often uninformed, inaccurate, 'gung-ho' drivel and the film editors haven't a clue.

:cool:

I have to agree with you on what I've recently seen on the history channel. If you believed them the best fighters ever built were the F4F, P-47, and later (Viet Nam)the F-8. No doubt they helped the war effort by the shear numbers that were manufactured & the pilots blood spilt flying them. In the mid 70's the F/A-8 was well respected as a light Ftr/Bomber/Attack platform, but no where near the best fighter around. Of course I was a 17 year old airman in S.E.A. with my own view on things.

WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Becinhu

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: December 22, 2009, 08:34:11 PM »
I thought the P-38 was a modified A-20 with twinbooms instead of a single tail piece.
 :noid
412th Braunco Mustangs OG
412th FNVG FSO
80th FS "Headhunters" MA

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2009, 08:55:47 PM »
I thought the P-38 was a modified A-20 with twinbooms instead of a single tail piece.
 :noid

:mad: :mad:

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song