Author Topic: Question for the police out there...  (Read 4321 times)

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
Re: Question for the police out there...
« Reply #135 on: December 28, 2009, 06:00:07 PM »
Rich can you explain how doppler radar,lidar and laser units work?
In your explanation please include advantages and disadvantages of each one.

I'm not Rich, but from my research, here's a paraphrase of what I have found:

Doppler is easy to question. The cone it projects is much larger, and thus would be easier to say it could have hit one of several vehicles if they are close. The radar sends out it's signal like a normal radar unit and times the beam returning. It sends out a second beam and times this one. The difference between the two times gives the speed the vehicle is moving.

From what I understand, Lidar uses the same principle but with light. The beam is much smaller though, and thus can be car specific. The only disadvantage I can find is that you have to aim spot on, and in my case, that could not have been easy to do...

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: December 28, 2009, 07:07:00 PM »
Doppler is easy to question. The cone it projects is much larger, and thus would be easier to say it could have hit one of several vehicles if they are close. The radar sends out it's signal like a normal radar unit and times the beam returning. It sends out a second beam and times this one. The difference between the two times gives the speed the vehicle is moving.

Try again....at least on how it detects speed.

Strip

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: December 28, 2009, 07:21:44 PM »
Try again....at least on how it detects speed.

Strip

Really? I didn't research too hard into doppler as I know that's not what got me. Mind clarifying that for those interested though?

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #138 on: December 28, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »
You sir are probably one of the poorest excuses for a LEO and it shows. Anytime someone disagrees with you, you pull a troll card. You are the perfect example of power corrupting.  Your supervisor should have you psyc tested. Your delusions of grandeur are astounding.

I'll bet you would lie in open court just so you could make a ticket stick. That's how much you hate to be proven wrong.

He's the kind of person that becomes a cop not because of any genuine feeling of giving something back to the community, nothing like that.  People like him gravitate towards law enforcement because of the power you gain from carrying around a badge and a gun, helping people is just a secondary thought, if they're capable of abstract thought.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Strip

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: December 28, 2009, 07:30:37 PM »
Dopple radar uses the phenomenon known as the Doppler Effect, hence the name. In laymans terms, doppler radar detects a shift in frequency of returning radar waves. This would be akin to hearing a siren on a rescue vehicle. If one knows the emitted frequency they can measure the doppler shift. Armed with both frequencies they can calculate the speed of the ambulance. A doppler radar does the same thing, except the siren is emitted and bounced off of a vehicle. A vehicle approaching will bounce a slightly higher freq, going away, a slightly lower freq.

Strip

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #140 on: December 28, 2009, 08:29:48 PM »
ok. with the lidar, they shoot ya as you're approaching or as you're retreating away from em, right?

and serenity said that there were 2 cars passing him, right?

look at this diagram.

notice that the beam's angle causes it to hit 2 of those 3 vehicles. and at speed, you know it may well hit the third.

i ask again, and i know one of ya won;t have the cajones to answer...'cause ya know you're wrong......

do you really expect someone to sit back and take the hit for something someone else did?

this dude would never have been stopped, had the other vehicles not been there.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #141 on: December 28, 2009, 09:49:19 PM »
ok. with the lidar, they shoot ya as you're approaching or as you're retreating away from em, right?

and serenity said that there were 2 cars passing him, right?

look at this diagram.

(Image removed from quote.)

notice that the beam's angle causes it to hit 2 of those 3 vehicles. and at speed, you know it may well hit the third.

i ask again, and i know one of ya won;t have the cajones to answer...'cause ya know you're wrong......

do you really expect someone to sit back and take the hit for something someone else did?

this dude would never have been stopped, had the other vehicles not been there.

The ticket was chickenchit.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #142 on: December 28, 2009, 09:54:40 PM »
The ticket was chickenchit.   

i know. i'm trying to do something that seems increasingly silly on this bbs though.....i'm trying to reason with someone who apparently is never ever wrong.

and because his answer would be admitting that, i kinda don't expect to see it.....but i'm tryin to make him at least think about it.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline texasmom

• Platinum Member
« Reply #143 on: December 28, 2009, 10:57:25 PM »
Better idea than asking a bunch of strangers on the internet would be to just ask your parents for their advice.  They'll appreciate it, give good advice, and will appreciate it again when you take it.
<S> Easy8
<S> Mac

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #144 on: December 29, 2009, 04:07:03 AM »
some of us are humble.

and yes, we are. who keeps your cruiser on the road? it sure as heck isn't you.

i am part of the infrastructure that keeps everyone moving. period.

also, i never claimed to be either. i was and am simply telling him to use common sense, and be polite and concise.

i can see where you'd not like that though, because if he does that, he's gonna win, since he's going through this for someone elses fault.
 we aren't just sheep, although you guys seem to think we should be.

I believe police officers pay taxes, are they not part of the same infrastructure as everyone else?

Just curious.

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #145 on: December 29, 2009, 04:11:48 AM »
You sir are probably one of the poorest excuses for a LEO and it shows. Anytime someone disagrees with you, you pull a troll card. You are the perfect example of power corrupting.  Your supervisor should have you psyc tested. Your delusions of grandeur are astounding.

I'll bet you would lie in open court just so you could make a ticket stick. That's how much you hate to be proven wrong.

Talk about making assumptions.  I just wonder if you know Rich personally or have you had some professional contact with him other than the famous web.  If not, you sir are making a lot of assumptions.

:salute

Fred
One of the serious problems in planning the fight against American doctrine, is that the Americans do not read their manuals, nor do they feel any obligation to follow their doctrine... - From a Soviet Junior Lt's Notebook

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: December 29, 2009, 05:33:58 AM »
Better idea than asking a bunch of strangers on the internet would be to just ask your parents for their advice.  They'll appreciate it, give good advice, and will appreciate it again when you take it.

Best ("advice"  :D) I have seen posted in this thread.    :aok

Fred

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #147 on: December 29, 2009, 07:31:22 AM »
I believe police officers pay taxes, are they not part of the same infrastructure as everyone else?

Just curious.

Fred

i'm curious......you talk in the posts after this one about making assumptions.......yet in this quoted post you've made one yourself.
 i never said they weren't.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #148 on: December 29, 2009, 07:35:04 AM »
Talk about making assumptions.  I just wonder if you know Rich personally or have you had some professional contact with him other than the famous web.  If not, you sir are making a lot of assumptions.

Fred

it seems to be a safe assumption, as when anyone anywhere in any of these threads disagrees with him, he goes loopy. especially when it concerns police.
 in the described situation, the kid is about to loose his DL, and pay a huge fine......for something someone else did. and the advice offered by an officer? just take the fall.  :rolleyes:

unless he is completely different in rl, than he is in here, then he is part of the reason people dislike the police.
 i'm not trying to be mean.......but what you see me type here, is exactly what i'd say to your face. i don't go around playin internet tough guy like some.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bmwgs

• Silver Member
« Reply #149 on: December 29, 2009, 09:54:24 AM »
i'm curious......you talk in the posts after this one about making assumptions.......yet in this quoted post you've made one yourself.
 i never said they weren't.  :aok

Curious?  Simple question to answer.   :)

Your Post:

"some of us are humble.

and yes, we are. who keeps your cruiser on the road? it sure as heck isn't you.

i am part of the infrastructure that keeps everyone moving. period.
also, i never claimed to be either. i was and am simply telling him to use common sense, and be polite and concise.

i can see where you'd not like that though, because if he does that, he's gonna win, since he's going through this for someone elses fault.
 we aren't just sheep, although you guys seem to think we should be."

In the sentence in red you specificallty state "it sure as heck isn't you".  That would imply that he himself is not part of the infrastructure that provides public service.  I'm not sure, but I think all goverment employees pay taxes which would make them part of the infrastructure.  So in that case, he does pay part of what it takes to keep his crusier on the road.

Just being a bit curious about statements being made.

Fred

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 10:01:25 AM by bmwgs »