Author Topic: IL2 vs ACES HIGH....  (Read 15886 times)

Offline Phil

• Copper Member
IL2 vs ACES HIGH....
« on: January 18, 2010, 12:15:37 PM »
Gents....
Met an acquaintance today and told him that I wasn't flying R/C WWII birds because of ACES HIGH  :rock
He replied: " Ya should try Il2 ! "
My responce was: "lots of players in AH have been/ were playing IL2. They mentioned many good points about the graphics BUT the overall play was better in ACES HIGH. "
Now I couldn't provide him with more details because I'm only reliying on hearsay.... I havent played IL2 and have no intentions.

Now I gave him the web site etc and he will look into it. He will be coming to my residence and watch me in action :aok
I told him to READ the forum before jumping in and using the free trial period.

I have used the "search" tab and couldn't find any thread that I want him to read about the PROS and CONS....

Any players out here that can briefly list the GOODs and BADs between the two ? (professional comments please !)
I don't want to TRASH any flight sim !!!!

Phil / OPP7755

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
Re: IL2 vs ACES HIGH....
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:18:12 PM »
IL2 Flight model blows, graphics are good. You can fly a 190 and a A6M and they feel the same.
Aces High FM is awesome, graphics are great with the new update.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 12:27:39 PM »
Oh boy, here we go again...

IL2 Flight model blows, graphics are good. You can fly a 190 and a A6M and they feel the same.

I'll respectfully disagree here.  When I fly AH after playing another flight sim, there is a way in which the aircraft feel the same, but that is because AH has a distinct feel.  Il-2 also has a distinct feel, but after you've played it a bit, you laugh when people say the aircraft feel the same.  AH has the riding on rails feeling, while Il-2 feels slippery (best analogy I can think of).  Both have excellent flight models in my opinion, and I've played more than a dozen flight sims since the late '80s.

Secondly, with the latest Il-2 mods, e.g. HSFX, AH is still way behind in graphics, especially with clouds, fires, and optical effects.

I also think it's silly to compare the two sims too strictly because what they offer is so different.  Il-2 does not have MMP, AH does. Many Il-2 servers offer historical matchups with semi-accurate maps (some with snow or desert), goals for each side to accomplish, etc.; AH offers big fictonal maps where almost anything goes.

Edit: I forgot to mention that gunnery is more difficult in Il-2, and that makes a big difference for gameplay.  While it's no big woop to see someone land seven or eight kills in AH, I get excited over three or four (human opponents) in Il-2.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2010, 12:29:56 PM by Anaxogoras »
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 12:29:38 PM »
just different FMs wise and i am not prepared to debate which is "better" ...

however ...

The biggest difference IMO is that AH is truly MMOL and lends itself to the kind of crazy huge numbers that allows us to represent what imo is the thing that makes WW2 unique in the history of Air Combat which is the sheer number of planes contesting the same airspace ...

there are good and bad aspects to this high number thing, but it is fun ...

THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 12:33:16 PM »
I havent played IL2 and have no intentions.

Why not?  It's worth a try at such a bargain.  Don't worry, AH will still love you. :P
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 12:36:11 PM »
Phil,
since he plays IL2, let him go ahead and use his free trial period to make up his own mind......

he should adapt pretty quickly, if he has played IL2 for any length of time.........

tell him to check out the snapshots, or the SatKOTH coming up this weekend, or if he sticks around....point him toward ahevents.org and let him read up on the scenarios.... what other sim can ya have reenactments of WWII aerial battles with 500 to 700 participants?

I always find it funny about the "on rails" comments.......

I have heard that to be said about every flight sim since 1996...... all of them.......... it's just the fanboi syndrome  :airplane: :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TexMurphy

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 12:52:37 PM »
Few differences...

* IL2 Graphics are more cartooney in style some like it some dont (Im one of the later).
* IL2 clouds are much better
* IL2 has more detailed avoionics with cowl flaps and other stuff that is not implemented in AH2
* IL2 has a more detailed damage model.
* AH2s new cockpits are much nicer but old are worse
* AH2 has best view system in all sims. IL2 View system is head on stick (at least without TIR) which makes it lot worse.
* AH2 supports 500+ players per server IL2 is 64 max (or is it even just 32)
* AH2 has a better flight model.
* AH2 has built in coms.

* IL2 is not supported by the original developers.
* AH2 has full development support.

Tex

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 12:55:07 PM »
Oh boy, here we go again...

I'll respectfully disagree here.  When I fly AH after playing another flight sim, there is a way in which the aircraft feel the same, but that is because AH has a distinct feel.  Il-2 also has a distinct feel, but after you've played it a bit, you laugh when people say the aircraft feel the same.  AH has the riding on rails feeling, while Il-2 feels slippery (best analogy I can think of).  Both have excellent flight models in my opinion, and I've played more than a dozen flight sims since the late '80s.

Secondly, with the latest Il-2 mods, e.g. HSFX, AH is still way behind in graphics, especially with clouds, fires, and optical effects.

I also think it's silly to compare the two sims too strictly because what they offer is so different.  Il-2 does not have MMP, AH does. Many Il-2 servers offer historical matchups with semi-accurate maps (some with snow or desert), goals for each side to accomplish, etc.; AH offers big fictonal maps where almost anything goes.

Edit: I forgot to mention that gunnery is more difficult in Il-2, and that makes a big difference for gameplay.  While it's no big woop to see someone land seven or eight kills in AH, I get excited over three or four (human opponents) in Il-2.
Am only speaking from what I've read from others in the past. Don't have the game and don't really want it.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 01:11:20 PM »
coming from WB and thinking i would hate the view system in AH which sounded overly complicated and clumsy ...

i must say i like it much better than i thought i would ...

i don't think it is the totally perfect solution but it does offset the choice to use of opaque bars pretty well ...

kudos to HTC for a workable solution to the dilemma of the cyclops vs stereo vision and cockpit bars reality debate ...
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline Anaxogoras

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 01:17:40 PM »
* IL2 Graphics are more cartooney in style some like it some dont (Im one of the later).

You have reasonable opinions, but I'm a little confused about this one.
gavagai
334th FS

RPS for Aces High!

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 01:28:29 PM »
It really comes down to personal preference. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline DarkCrow

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 02:29:28 PM »
 Use different sims to fill different voids. Don't just limit yourself to one. I have a list of sims I fly, dependent on what I feel like doing.

Offline toonces3

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 02:39:41 PM »
I enjoy Il-2 to fill that void that AvA ought to fill in Aces High, but doesn't.

I totally agree with the flies on rails vs. slippery comments about FM's.  I'm not sure which is more "right".

I strongly prefer Il-2's apparent damage model.

I'm not so sure I'd catagorize Il-2's graphics as better than AH's anymore; not since the latest updates.  Maybe the clouds are better in Il-2, but the terrain isn't.  I haven't seen this HFX thing that Anax. refers to.

Il-2 is practically free now.  No reason not to give it a go just to check it out.

I've never flown it online though.  I'd like to try that sometime.
"And I got my  :rocklying problem fix but my voice is going to inplode your head" -Kennyhayes

"My thread is forum gold, it should be melted down, turned into minature f/a-18 fighter jets and handed out to everyone who participated." -Thrila

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 02:41:57 PM »
I'll never purchase IL2.   I enjoy the "small company" feel to HTC.   They take care of any "messes" that occasionally happen and ENCOURAGE feedback on Bugs, etc.   

It'll be 8 years in April and I don't plan on leaving anytime soon. 
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 02:48:03 PM »
I have one reason you will not see me in the IL-2 servers.  "The nicest guy in IL-2" just doesn't sound right. :D
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!