Author Topic: Colts or Jets?  (Read 2965 times)

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
Re: Colts or Jets?
« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2010, 12:11:40 PM »
Well I got the matchup I wanted in Saints-Colts.  The Colts game was closer than I expected (it was closer than the final score indicates).  The Saints-Vikings game was almost exactly like I expected, in that it was a very close game (it went to OT), but I was surprised at how sloppy they both played.  The Vikes actually outplayed the Saints by quite a bit, but turned it over too much.  So the Saints got bailed out by the turnovers, but they MUST play much better to have a chance against the Colts.

Nevertheless, I'm rooting for Drew Brees and the Saints to win.  I think it won't happen, but that's what I hope for.  I'm also looking forward to Drew getting the props he's deserved for quite some time now, as one of the elite QBs in the NFL.
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2010, 02:12:47 PM »
More pressure was on Mark Sanchez, he caved in.   People, including his Coach, expected too much of him this year.   In a couple of years, he'll be better off.   

Rex needs to do less talking and focus on coaching.   The Colts embarrassed his inability to corral the 10 yard passes.   

How did Sanchez cave in? His numbers were very good, posting a better playoff ranking than Drew Brees up until now. Better than Romo, better than Brady too. That's pretty elite company for a rookie to be in. He ranks #4 among the 12 QBs in the playoffs this year! Next year, he'll be better and so will the Jets.

Sanchez didn't cave. If anything, he was very conservative. He showed great poise under pressure. Both TD passes were on throws made just as he was hit.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: January 25, 2010, 04:14:09 PM »
I thought Sanchez did an outstanding job for a veteran quarterback, let alone a rookie. He showed poise, vision of the field, and good decision making (definitely better than Favre's was yesterday) I never saw him cave. With time and the right mentoring Mark Sanchez will be one of the leagues premier QB's, and if the Jets keep doing what they are doing I think that they will be a major force in the AFC in the years to come. 

The Jets were beat because they did not have the depth (in either offence, or defense) that the Colts have. The Jets played a good game, the Colts just played a better one.
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: January 25, 2010, 04:36:33 PM »
How did Sanchez cave in? His numbers were very good, posting a better playoff ranking than Drew Brees up until now. Better than Romo, better than Brady too. That's pretty elite company for a rookie to be in. He ranks #4 among the 12 QBs in the playoffs this year! Next year, he'll be better and so will the Jets.
Well I don't think you can really make a good comparison between Sanchez and those other QB's, the QB's you mentioned there are on teams that pass a whole lot more then the Jets do, the Jets are more of a rush team then a pass team.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: January 25, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »
Well I don't think you can really make a good comparison between Sanchez and those other QB's, the QB's you mentioned there are on teams that pass a whole lot more then the Jets do, the Jets are more of a rush team then a pass team.

Sure you can make that comparison. Look at the stats rather than the BS of game announcers. The Jets have a more balanced attack, using the running game to set up the pass. Old school, if you will. Just remember that if not for some bad breaks mid season, the Jets could have finished the season at 14/2 rather than 11/5 (which isn't bad). In the playoffs, they beat the Bengals at home. They beat the Chargers at home, and they gave the Colts a real scare at home. Not bad for the fifth seed team that was destined to play every playoff game on the opposing team's field.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2009&seasonType=POST&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1

Manning: 83 attempts, 56 completions / TDs 5 / Longest pass 46 / Interceptions 1
Favre: 70 attempts, 43 completions  TDs 5 / Longest pass 47 / Interceptions 2
Sanchez: 68 attempts, 41 completions TDs 4 / Longest pass 80 / Interceptions 2
Brees: 63 attempts, 40 completions TDs 6 / Longest pass 44 / Interceptions 0
Romo: 70 attempts, 45 completions TDs 2 / Longest pass 36 / Interceptions 1
Brady: 42 attempts, 23 completions TDs 2 / Longest pass 24 / Interceptions 3
Rivers: 40 attempts, 27 completions TDs 1 / Longest pass 37 / Interceptions 2

Again, the NFL rates Sanchez as the #4 ranking QB in the playoffs.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #80 on: January 25, 2010, 07:00:03 PM »

Manning: 83 attempts, 56 completions / TDs 5 / Longest pass 46 / Interceptions 1  2 games
Favre: 70 attempts, 43 completions  TDs 5 / Longest pass 47 / Interceptions 2  2 Games
Sanchez: 68 attempts, 41 completions TDs 4 / Longest pass 80 / Interceptions 2 3 Games
Brees: 63 attempts, 40 completions TDs 6 / Longest pass 44 / Interceptions 0 2 games
Romo: 70 attempts, 45 completions TDs 2 / Longest pass 36 / Interceptions 1 2 games
Brady: 42 attempts, 23 completions TDs 2 / Longest pass 24 / Interceptions 3 1 game
Rivers: 40 attempts, 27 completions TDs 1 / Longest pass 37 / Interceptions 2 1 Game

Again, the NFL rates Sanchez as the #4 ranking QB in the playoffs.

You cant.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #81 on: January 25, 2010, 07:15:48 PM »
You cant.

The NFL just did. Maybe you missed it? Efficiency.. It counts.

My regards,

Widewing
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 07:18:04 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

Offline jd

• Nickel Member
« Reply #82 on: January 26, 2010, 10:48:48 AM »
Mannings a choke artist. That being said, how can you go against the Colts. Jets have pulled off one too many magic tricks this season. :bolt:

Colts: 34-Jets:17

<S>MajChaos

Not bad, not bad at all if I do say so myself. And I do. :lol

WHO DAT?  SAINTS BY A MILLION :rofl :bolt:
Current: Slipstrm

Offline druski85

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: January 26, 2010, 09:31:52 PM »
Ditka by a late field goal. 

As for this game, I'm gonna say Colts take it, 28-17. 

Well then, if we are talking about our jedi mind powers to estimate game scores... mwah!  If I were only a betting man...  :D

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #84 on: January 26, 2010, 11:56:00 PM »
Well then, if we are talking about our jedi mind powers to estimate game scores... mwah!  If I were only a betting man...  :D

Indeed, very close.  :aok

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline BoilerDown

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: January 27, 2010, 10:08:21 AM »
The NFL just did. Maybe you missed it? Efficiency.. It counts.

My regards,

Widewing
I think you're cherry picking a stat that works in your QB's favor.  But when I see 6 TDs and 0 INTs, that has to be valued more than what Sanchez did, efficiency or no.

So here's the quarterbacks, sorted by QB Rating.  A much better indication of how well each QB in the playoffs have played.

Rk   Player      Team      Rate

1   Kurt Warner      ARI   129.1
2   Aaron Rodgers   GB    121.4
3   Drew Brees      NO   116.1
4   Peyton Manning   IND    104.6
5   Brett Favre      MIN   97.6
6   Mark Sanchez   NYJ   92.7
7   Tony Romo      DAL   85.5
8   Philip Rivers      SD   76.9
9   Donovan McNabb   PHI   68.5
10   Carson Palmer   CIN   58.3
11   Tom Brady      NE   49.1
12   Joe Flacco      BAL   39.4
Boildown

This is the Captain.  We have a lil' problem with our entry sequence so we may experience some slight turbulence and then... explode.

Boildown is Twitching: http://www.twitch.tv/boildown

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #86 on: January 27, 2010, 10:37:59 AM »
I think you're cherry picking a stat that works in your QB's favor.  But when I see 6 TDs and 0 INTs, that has to be valued more than what Sanchez did, efficiency or no.

So here's the quarterbacks, sorted by QB Rating.  A much better indication of how well each QB in the playoffs have played.

Now thats a better comparison of the QB's, of which Sanchez is just average.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #87 on: January 27, 2010, 12:32:13 PM »

LOLOL You're the one cherry picking.. Rating is but one data point in calculating ranking... Follow their logic to the conclusion.

Yet, stop and think... A rookie QB has a better rating than 6 other QBs in the playoffs. Damned impressive as well.

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #88 on: January 27, 2010, 01:39:46 PM »
Bottom line is that Sanchez played a great game, and had a great playoff run as well.  Between he and Rex Ryan, Jets fans have something to look forward to in the near future.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: January 27, 2010, 01:41:42 PM »
I saw on the NFL network a video of Peyton Manning getting into it with Jeff Saturday. Hilarious! Peyton had just failed to get into the end zone after throwing 3 passes and was PO'd. Saturday, who is 295 lbs soaking wet, comes in and states we should have ran the ball. Peyton goes ballistic, Oh, so you're calling the phreaking plays now!! and goes on a rage. Saturday, calmly said later, well Manning must have thought he had a good go work out in the Gym this week!  :lol :lol

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter