Author Topic: Satelite Connection?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
Satelite Connection?
« on: January 26, 2010, 08:19:47 AM »
Is this game playable w/ a constant 800-1000 ping? The only internet I can get here is satelite so the ping is a bit ugly. I can play game such as everquest 2 and wow fine w/ that ping. My upload is about 20kbs and 200kbs download. It just the ping is constantly at 800.
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
Re: Satelite Connection?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 09:50:41 AM »
You can give it a try. My guess is you'll encounter quite a few discos, plenty of lag, and definite warping.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 10:31:01 AM »
It is not going to be pretty.  Do those other games have objects doing closure rates in excess of 600MPH?  That's about an 880ft difference at 1000ms.

You can try it, but you should expect odd things to happen from time to time as well.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2010, 05:35:29 AM »
When I flew on a Sat. connection I hated it.

I spent the $10.00 to my local phone company for a no frills dial up account to fly on.
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2010, 05:38:47 AM »
My friend had dial-up and could not even play . Now he has Satelite and his game run's like a dream . He told me he has had one disco in 2 month's .
He has the bigger Satelitle package though , like 300 a month .

EDIT: Oh , let me add I have been there . Before I got DSL I tryed dial-up , Satelite , AT&T aircard , and the Satelite worked the best of those 3 .
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010, 05:44:00 AM by Flench »
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2010, 05:39:49 PM »
My friend had dial-up and could not even play . Now he has Satelite and his game run's like a dream . He told me he has had one disco in 2 month's .

EDIT: Oh , let me add I have been there . Before I got DSL I tryed dial-up , Satelite , AT&T aircard , and the Satelite worked the best of those 3 .

Your friend likely then has the newer (and pricier) satellite iternet deals I've been hearing about lately, they allow data to be downloaded as well as uploaded via the dish.  "Old fashioned" satellite internet I never personaly understood, you upload as fast as you would on 56K, but the download rate is the high-speed part, yet you pay as much as you would for complete high-speed service.  I guess it's a good deal if you download more than you upload, but for gaming or communication/office work, it seems like it would really stink since what you send out is half as important as what you need to take in.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2010, 06:26:21 PM »
Yeah , He got the new set up .  I helped him set up his email and stuff . It's pretty fast . A lot faster than dial up but I think he's paying like 160 a month for it .

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 06:05:00 AM »
The latencies will still be horrible.  There is no way to circumvent physics to improve the latencies of a satellite based connection.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 09:53:06 AM »
When I flew on a Sat. connection I hated it.

I spent the $10.00 to my local phone company for a no frills dial up account to fly on.

My broadband has settled down now but crappy dial up was the best connection I ever played this on regards lag and discos  :cheers:

Offline 38ruk

• Gold Member
      • @pump_upp - best crypto pumps on telegram !
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 02:43:32 PM »
ISDN might be an alternative  .  It's a digital  and comes in on a telephone line and usually has great latency . It's not fast (128K) but a lot of people swear by it for gaming in the sticks .  I almost got it but at the last minute they said it wasn't available . Since then Time Warner ran cable lines down my road so i went to cable .   I was on dial up forever ...so I know what it's like .  When i finally got broadband ......it was like Christmas for me  lol

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 07:36:55 AM »
What is ISDN ? Never heard of it ...

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 11:26:17 AM »

Another thing about dialup (I've been using it to play AH for a decade) One modem will give you 45k, but pings jump all over the place from 200-400. Last time I bought 3-4 of them (they aren't but 10-15 bucks) Noticed a HUGE amount of performance difference between them. The one that worked, I bought 4 more of :aok I get STEADY 200 ms ping, if I lay off surfing while on climbout, etc. (Lotta lightning around here, hence the extras)
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline denniswilha

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 09:19:10 PM »
Hi guys, I own a satellite company and have installed several of the systems and watched many cry!!!  There is an awfull lag between the up and down signals of satellite {latency} have yet to see any satellite internet work for online gaming.

Offline greens

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2010, 02:05:03 AM »
<-------------------- :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cry :cryX 1 billion!!!!
_-=ELIM EAGLES=-_
in loving memory of OZ <Eagles21>
 miss you bro!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2010, 02:18:29 AM »
this might sound a little harsh but if you have to use a satellite connection do us all a favour and don't use it to play Aces High.
The Few ***
F.P.H