Author Topic: Maneuvering flaps on the P38  (Read 2825 times)

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
Re: Maneuvering flaps on the P38
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2010, 12:20:25 PM »
I see alot of people worrying about "historical" accuracy in here In this respect i think HTC does a pretty fair job getting it as close as u can without making it OVER realistic, lets face it if you threw in the winds,cloud decks and no stall limiters with accurate stall models, and the many other things that could kill a in a heartbeat, you would see alot less people on here!!   Oh yeah its little but, the thing that bugs me the most is the gear speed, the gear does not rip off when you lower it at high speed the gear DOORS could rip off, :airplane: i wish they could correct this! Like i said....little

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2010, 12:26:18 PM »
which stall model is not accurate? groundfeeder?

you might need to post this in the Aircraft & Vehicle Forums and bring it to hitech & Pyro's attention ASAP

I am sure they will want to fix this asap, if you have found something that is not accurately modelled

be ready to back up your post with Factual Accurate historical documents and references........ for all the people who will post /reply to your initial questioning of inaccurate stall models, and as for stall limiters, that is a choice of the player to fly with it  :joystick:( and hinder themselves on a performance perspective ) or fly with it turned off and gain full performance from their cartoon planes  :airplane:  :aok  :cheers:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »
I think 100MPH can be used through out this game as a ballpark figure  except for the ME 262,  and people can just jump from aircraft to aircraft using 100MPH for takeoff.

Good Afternoon Traveler,
I was wondering, are you using the "Auto Take-Off" feature when recording that all the planes take off at 100 mph?

or are you manually taking off with the "Auto Take-Off" feature turned off......

if you are using the Auto Take-Off feature..then that answers itself very easily..Auto Take-Off is "COAD'ed" that way to reach that 100 mph speed before lifting off......  :cheers:

hope this helps
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #33 on: February 22, 2010, 12:41:21 PM »
I see alot of people worrying about "historical" accuracy in here In this respect i think HTC does a pretty fair job getting it as close as u can without making it OVER realistic, lets face it if you threw in the winds,cloud decks and no stall limiters with accurate stall models, and the many other things that could kill a in a heartbeat, you would see alot less people on here!!   Oh yeah its little but, the thing that bugs me the most is the gear speed, the gear does not rip off when you lower it at high speed the gear DOORS could rip off, :airplane: i wish they could correct this! Like i said....little

i actually think they have the stall modeled fairly accurately.

now if we were to go to full accuracy......

check out this video of what it takes to just get the engines running on one.  :aok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQUjc9QfYYE&feature=related

here's another pretty interesting video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wwbGfH3hFg&feature=related
« Last Edit: February 22, 2010, 12:44:07 PM by CAP1 »
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2010, 12:53:43 PM »
The first flap setting is the manuevering flaps (8 degrees).  The only thing wrong with the P-38 flaps is whatever is perceived to be so in the OP's mind. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2010, 12:56:58 PM »
Good Afternoon Traveler,
I was wondering, are you using the "Auto Take-Off" feature when recording that all the planes take off at 100 mph?

or are you manually taking off with the "Auto Take-Off" feature turned off......

if you are using the Auto Take-Off feature..then that answers itself very easily..Auto Take-Off is "COAD'ed" that way to reach that 100 mph speed before lifting off......  :cheers:

hope this helps

I didn't say at 100MPH.  I said ballpark figure of 100MPH  Some you can fly off a little sooner, but any pilot can jump into any aircraft and take-off without using auto take-off and use 100MPH as a flyaway speed.  Maybe that's why AH uses 100MPH for the auto take off speed.  Because it's the best generic speed so pilots don't need to remember different airspeeds for game play.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2010, 01:36:00 PM »
The first flap setting is the manuevering flaps (8 degrees).  The only thing wrong with the P-38 flaps is whatever is perceived to be so in the OP's mind. 

(Image removed from quote.)

ack-ack

Ack-Ack, did you see Murdr's respons

"Either 2 or 3 notches.  How can I say that?  Which one is it?  On an EM diagram above 225 you're better off with 2 notches.  Both settings are hitting the pilot's G limit, hence both give the same peak turn performance.  2 notches (20 degrees) offers less drag for the same performance at that speed range, hence the wise choice.  Below that speed range, 3 notches (30 degrees) offers a slightly more favorable instantanious turn rate and stall parameters.  At sustained rate of turn either notch yields almost the same dps, with 3 notches having a slower sustained speed. 

The 5 degrees either way from 50% deployment is not a huge performance issue.  If you are using them as perscribed "MANEUVERING FLAPS SHOULD BE EXTENDED ONLY LONG ENOUGH TO COMPLE PARTICULAR MANEUVER AND THE BE RETRACED IMMEDIATELY"~Ray Meskimen then you're likely in a speed range where it is a non-factor on turn performance.
"
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2010, 04:59:01 PM »
Well...if you're an RL pilot, I can understand your single-mindedness on the precision of this sort of stuff, but you're REALLY over-thinking it, IMO.

It's a game, go shoot stuff and insult people's parentage :joystick:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2010, 05:53:34 PM »

(Image removed from quote.)

ack-ack

Just noticed that the diagram you offer only has 4 notchs between full up and full down.  While the AH P38 has 5 notchs between full up and full down.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2010, 03:47:28 AM »
Hi Traveler,

I'd like to help if I can, but I'd just like to make sure I understand the question.

Are you looking for a correlation between the USAAF manual and the game?

If so, you probably posted in the wrong forum.

Are you asking about the best way to employ the flaps on the P-38 in Aces High?

If so I can help.

Let me know.

Badboy

Badboy please explain it to me . I think I am making 2 mistakes . 1 I think I over flap . 2 I think I may be dropping em when I should lift them , and lifting when they should go down . Any films you have would help . Please explain in the vert and horiz .
« Last Edit: February 25, 2010, 03:52:34 AM by hlbly »

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2010, 01:46:15 PM »
i am still curious, does the AH p38s flap systems adhere strictly to the real world p38s POH or not?

THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2010, 10:10:19 AM »
yea thats what i thought ...

i'd say i was disappointed but when you expected the silence that would not quite accurate ...

now would it? 

+S+

t
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2010, 10:22:22 AM »
Maybe nobody responded because you could answer your question by reading the thread.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2010, 10:26:07 AM »
Maybe nobody responded because you could answer your question by reading the thread.

he's just fishing.......dunno if you saw the 30some page long thread where this was all explained to him.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2010, 10:34:00 AM »
no i think not we all know why no one answered the question, your reply to my last is proof enough that replies take little enough effort ...

the hypocrisy is just easier to ignore than to admit, that is why no one replied ...

not fishing, i'm making a point.

the "pointing out" you refer to is that the flaps are wrong because HTC says they strictly adhere to the POH as their criteria for modeling the flaps, when in actuality HTC strictly adheres to the POH when it suits their desired plane set balance and feels free to ignore it when it suits their desired balance engineering, this is just another example ...

enjoy your cake and koolaid, eat all you want because as we all know you will always have it as well.

he's just fishing.......dunno if you saw the 30some page long thread where this was all explained to him.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 10:48:29 AM by thorsim »
Axis Co-Op
blah blah Blah