Author Topic: Maneuvering flaps on the P38  (Read 2822 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Maneuvering flaps on the P38
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2010, 10:58:12 AM »
funny, how, guppy, akak, hitech, myself, and others all showed you that you were absolutely wrong in the other thread that you trolled in......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2010, 11:11:36 AM »
Please People!!!  Take this Drama debate somewhere else

The Reply's numbered:
Reply #40
Reply #41

Reply #43
Reply #44
 & Reply #45

do not belong in the "Help & Training Forum"

if you want to debate, argue, or ask a question regarding Real Life Aircraft &/or Vehicles . or talk about Aces high Planes & Vehicles performance data, flight model characteristics vs an IRL  aircraft POH...... then please take it to it's appropriate Forum......

we do not need the DRAMA in this forum.....

Thank You   :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 12:19:09 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2010, 11:16:44 AM »
i would love for you guys to "prove me wrong" on this issue and model the flaps how they actually worked instead of
how the POH says they worked for all the aircraft, or have all the aircraft adhere strictly to the POH ...

until then my last post makes a point that is hard for an honest person to refute and be comfortable with themselves.

mind you it was none of you that proved anything on that other issue, and i posted the retraction after someone else provided the examples on another board.

since you are all about accuracy, on the boards.

funny, how, guppy, akak, hitech, myself, and others all showed you that you were absolutely wrong in the other thread that you trolled in......
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline thorsim

• Parolee
  • Restricted
      • The Luftwhiner Lounge
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2010, 11:17:54 AM »
yea sorry TC done here ...
THOR C.O. II ~JG-27~ Afrika-AH
Axis Co-Op
Quote from: any number of idiots here
blah blah Blah
Quote from: oldman
Good call.  Ignore the people who actually flew the real planes against each other.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2010, 11:19:16 AM »
Please People!!!  Take this Drama debate somewhere else

The Reply's numbered:
Reply #40
Reply #41
Reply #42
Reply #43
Reply #44
 & Reply #45

do not belong in the "Help & Training Forum"

if you want to debate, argue, or ask a question regarding Real Life Aircraft &/or Vehicles . or talk about Aces high Planes & Vehicles performance data, flight model characteristics vs an IRL  aircraft POH...... then please take it to it's appropriate Forum......

we do not need the DRAMA in this forum.....

Thank You   :cheers:

my apologies sir......to you and others in here......i let myself get sucked in, when i should've known better.  :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 12:10:00 PM »
yea thats what i thought ...

i'd say i was disappointed but when you expected the silence that would not quite accurate ...

now would it?  

+S+

t

This is HiTech's reply in another thread about how the flaps work.  As you can see, you're wrong yet again whiich must get pretty tiring for you.

Gentlemen, you are assuming facts that do not happen in AH.

We simply put the degrees and coefficients in for each flap stop.

So what degree is displayed may or may not match what the real plane displays for degrees for the same coefficients. For instance the first stop of the p38 may be displaying 10 degrees, but really be the 8 deg coefficients.

The only thing degrees really do is control the rate at which the flaps move. We put in a degree per sec rate, and then each flap stops degrees.

HiTech

Quit grasping at reasons for getting your arse handed back to you in the unfriendly skies.  It's not the flaps, flight model or anything else, it's just your less than average skill that is getting you shot down on a regular basis.

ack-ack
« Last Edit: February 26, 2010, 02:08:02 PM by Ack-Ack »
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2010, 03:41:56 AM »
I have only one question, this is not a flight simulator, where is the problem with the modeling?  If i am in a turn, I blow a notch of flaps and am slow enough for them to drop, my turn tightens up.  This is pointless.  It is the best there is.  Hitec and the guys have done a great job.  Short of a 12000 dollar sponsorship on a WWII bird where are you going to have this much fun, plus I don't know many of the guys in here except ME that would qualify for the insurance, and where at any less that 4.35 a gallon for av gas are you going to get to fly all you want for what 15.00 a month?
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.

Offline Badboy

• Silver Member
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2010, 02:15:19 PM »
Badboy please explain it to me . I think I am making 2 mistakes . 1 I think I over flap . 2 I think I may be dropping em when I should lift them , and lifting when they should go down . Any films you have would help . Please explain in the vert and horiz .

Hi hilbly

My suggestion for turning in the horizontal, is to minimise your turn radius in a one circle fight (nose to nose turns) and to maximise your turn rate in a two circle fight (nose to tail). The question is, how does that influence the use of flaps? Generally, to minimise your turn radius you should use full flaps. That part is easy.

However, to maximise your turn rate, we need to be clear on the distinction between instantaneous and sustained turns, because the highest turn rate the P-38 can achieve is 31.5 dps with a turn radius of about 630ft at 236mph with 3 notches of flaps. Compare that with the Spitfire XVI that can also achieve exactly the same radius and rate at that speed, and you see that the P-38L can match the spitfire under certain conditions. Now, in order to hold a high turn rate, the P-38L driver would need to turn nose low, and because the P-38 has 3 notches of flaps out, any spitfire pilot that follows nose low is going to find himself gaining embarrassing amounts of speed and losing turn rate with an increasing turn radius. Many inexperienced Spitfire pilots will learn this about the P-38 the hard way. This helps to explain something about experienced P-38 drivers that you may have noticed… They have no fear of Spitfires, or other aircraft known for their turning ability. They like to turn nose low, and they prefer to fight at altitude so that they have room to turn nose low. For the figures I quoted above check out this EM diagram:

Sustained turns are different, and the P-38 is unremarkable in that regard. Ideally, you want the fight to be over before you need to depend on sustained turning ability, but if you do, my preference is to use 4 notches for the best compromise between sustained turning ability and turn radius.

For the vertical fight in any aircraft, my suggestion is to lead the top and lag the bottom. That means drop flaps to help pull over the top and then retract them again on the downside to regain energy. In the P-38 this may mean going to 3 or 4 notches over the top, then retracting to 2 or 3 on the down side, depending on what aircraft you are fighting. The exception being that if you go pure vertical, retract flaps fully for optimum zoom.

Lastly, for a similar aircraft engagement, (this applies to all aircraft and not just the P-38) getting the most out of your aircraft isn't just about how much flap you use, a lot depends on energy. Any small energy advantage can be converted to extra turn rate and fights that start Co-E are just as likely to be determined by timing the use of your flaps appropriately as they are by how much flap was being employed.

I am often asked how much flap I was using in a fight after out turning an opponent,  but I have never been asked about the timing. When ever you think about energy in an engagement, you should never be concerned with the absolute amount, you should always be thinking relatively, that is in terms of if you have more or less than your opponent. Same deal with flaps, but with flaps you should be thinking in terms of should you employ them sooner or later. With most aircraft my advice is to only use flaps if you are sure you need them, or if you can tell that your opponent is using them, and then always try to use them slightly later. My own preference in the P-38 is to be slow to use the 1st and 2nd notch, but once I get to 2 I will go straight to 3, then I will go to 4 any time my speed is slow enough to allow it. Those timings are what I feel give me the best compromise between radius/rate and energy, while allowing me to manage the workload between flaps and trim, because I always manual trim in the p-38.

Although the P-38 is a dream to fly when you can fly it well, it is one of the most labor intensive aircraft in the game, and being able to do all of the above as second nature is the key to excelling in it. The catch is that you can only do that if you spend some serious time in the P-38, and unfortunately the P-38 is also one of the most jealous aircraft in the game, if you spend any time in other aircraft she will punish you for it when you return :)

Hope that helps.

Badboy 
The Damned (est. 1988)
  • AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Air Warrior Trainer - Retired

Offline Tordon22

• Silver Member
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2010, 04:58:58 PM »
Book marked. Great write up Badboy, I'd love to work on my efficiency and timing with you sometime. Do you fly during certain hours?

Offline 2ADoc

• Nickel Member
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2010, 06:03:02 PM »
Badboy, great write up, thanks alot for it.   :aok
Takeoffs are optional, landings aren't
Vini Vedi Velcro
See Rule 4, 13, 14.