Author Topic: pilot anatomy. eyeballs connected to skull to neck to torso etc  (Read 600 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
pilot anatomy. eyeballs connected to skull to neck to torso etc
« on: October 20, 2001, 02:09:00 AM »
clear your mind of preconcieved notions and bias.

and think on the subject of how a pilot looks around the cockpit. consider the following components of human anatomy:

Eyeballs
skull
spine

what if Hitech took the time to give Aces High a real virtual pilot?

how would this affect the view system?
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2001, 02:40:00 AM »
He could see about 75% more information, and be sore as hell after a sortie.

Offline Apar1

• Copper Member
      • http://gruenherz.carnimaniac.pronym.org/
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2001, 07:04:00 AM »
That and a VR helmet,   :)

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2001, 09:18:00 AM »
Is that with or without the instant seat adjustment?.With our without shoulderstraps?

I especially like the way you can poke your head through the canopy on some planes.

Daff

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2001, 09:39:00 AM »
"..especially like the way you can poke your head through the canopy on some planes."

True Daff, for a few of 'em. But it's far better than not being able to move about at all in any of the aircraft.  ;)

IMO, also, VR helmets is the ultimate answer - along with working rear view mirrors being modelled in planes that had them would provide the quantumn leap in "views" we all want - regardless of sim/game being "flown" online.

Westy

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2001, 09:43:00 AM »
Originally posted by Citabria:
clear your mind of preconcieved notions and bias.

and think on the subject of how a pilot looks around the cockpit. consider the following components of human anatomy:

Eyeballs
skull
spine

what if Hitech took the time to give Aces High a real virtual pilot?

how would this affect the view system?

hit ur fps in a negative way probably..

then they could have a virtual Officers Club with virtual beer and virtual hangovers and virtual....

some of us would never come out  :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2001, 10:59:00 AM »
so daff... which planes can you poke your head out through the canopy?

tac  I know I could not only seed a lot more if it were real but a lot better and quicker too.   It would be a lot easier to track a plane for me.  
lazs

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2001, 11:12:00 AM »
I thought lazs was 84 years old with inch thick glasses
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline Apar1

• Copper Member
      • http://gruenherz.carnimaniac.pronym.org/
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2001, 08:51:00 PM »
LOL   :D

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2001, 09:42:00 PM »
Lazs. I would love to see you loosen your shoulder straps, twisting your whole body to look over your shoulder, adjusting the seat 2 feet up and to the side, in a split second, while pulling 6 G's.

Daff

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2001, 12:38:00 AM »
I'd love to sit at my computer desk and be under a 3D projection dome sized and shaped exactly like the canopy of the fighter I'm flying. I'd like a real instrument panel with working gauges.

Then I could just glance down at my instruments and quickly glance over at my 3 O'clock without even thinking about it.

I'd have normal peripheral vision ranges too, so a slight movement of an object on the periphery would draw my eyes just as it does in real life.

But I'm stuck with a dinky little 2D monitor.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2001, 12:46:00 AM »
Would the 109 pilot have a pointy head?

Offline Westy MOL

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2001, 08:17:00 AM »
Every pilot I've talked to who flew WWII aircraft (predominately USAAF/USN) stated factually they were not nailed to thier seat backs and they had total mobility of thier upper torso, shoulders neck and head. Even in combat maneuvers.

Granted AH has a few planes where there is a  pronounced out of cockpit experience to be had. I'm hoping they get tuned up. Most likely when we recieve rear view mirrors so views are not artificially neutered like some other "new" online game out there. But it's not as if one is standing out upon the wing looking back in the AH planes.

I personally would like to see rear view mirrors added as well as the removal of a direct seven-over-to-five (via the six position) move.

But like I said above, AH views are still the best thing out there, imo of course. They are far more inovative than anything else to date. And these 'other' sims also do not prohibit use of the hat swithc for a quick snap-view change when performing 6G maneuvers.  :)

I persoanlly would never go back to a head on an antiquated, head pivots on a pole AW/WB/WW2O view system again - less I have no choice at all. It's one of the main reason I have no interest in WB III.

Westy

Offline Daff

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2001, 08:43:00 AM »
"They are far more inovative than anything else to date. "

I agree..but I also think they took it waaay to far. The seat/head adjustments you can make are way to big, IMO. My dead 6 view in  the P-47 looks like the pilot is sitting leaning against the intrument panel  :D
FWIW's worth, WBIII does have a G-limited option. (None of them are mandatory (yet)), which I find quite nifty. Also, the views do reflect head/shoulder movements, but are a tad too small, IMO.

Daff

Offline lazs1

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2001, 09:20:00 AM »
daff i would leave my harness loose just like most of the pilots did.   i would tighten it for landings or hitting trees.  In AH I adjust the seat for the best view just like WWII pilots did.   Sometimes... I have to adjust the seat in some views different than others because even AH's view system does not allow me to look around bracing.   I say take out the bracing and I'll stick with one seat adjustment for all views.   Are you flying AH now?

toad has it.   AH is the best so far and it isn't enough.   Not near as natural as real head movements.  No peripheral and no 3d.
lazs