Author Topic: Jug D-11 Uber Alles  (Read 2895 times)

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
Re: Jug D-11 Uber Alles
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 09:35:45 PM »
Im curious why some of you would choose the N over the M?

Range isnt an issue in the MA.  All Jugs are already strapped with hardpoints so taking a DT and dropping it provides no extra penalty... and the N's wing tanks, empty, must add more weight.

The rate of role must be slower as the wings are longer... but does that create more surface area, in spite of the clipped tips, improving loading?
I've been flying N for a couple years or so...It's fast enough and rolls well enough to be competitive with most late-war birds when not flying with wingies, unlike D-40. (Obviously, tons more efficient killers to fly) Jumped into M when it came out, was easy to slaughter people at first....but the more I flew it like N, the harder it was to survive...frikking thing falls outta the sky like a D9  (even at well-above stall speeds) in many lower-speed situations, whereas N hangs in there with the extra wing surface, like a glider or 152. I just never had FUN flying the M (besides, tons of Lgay pukes fly it...SAME frikkin way they fly the Lgay...and words fail me in describing how much I hate LGheys :furious). I'm slightly above average as a stick...would PROBably be better with a more competitive ride like M or 1A... but I have fun flying N. Prolly would have quit game some time ago had it been dropped
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline 76646

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »
I'm with bj. Been flying the N for about a year and a half. Tried the M when it came out. Really the only thing it has going for it is speed. There's just something about the N i love. Something about the way it handles. The M reminds me of a D-25 the way it handles in some situations. Plus it's fun to shoot down the M dweebs while in a N!  :neener:
VMF- 214 "Blacksheep"

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2010, 11:54:24 PM »
Agree.  You get the N very light, say around 1/4 tank of fuel and about 800 rpg left, and it really begins to behave nicely.  The wingloading really comes down once you get in that 12,000 lb range and it just feels more maneuverable and feisty.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2010, 01:31:18 AM »
D-11 is my favorite right after the Hog's

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2010, 09:00:31 AM »
Answered my own question.

The N does, in fact, have a 22SF advantage in wing area over the D/M wing.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 05:27:06 PM »
Answered my own question.

The N does, in fact, have a 22SF advantage in wing area over the D/M wing.
Yah...guns further from center as well...everything is different. Heap much steadier plane tho. (helps to manage wep carefully)..would love to see what someone like Grizz could do with it over a camp

Offline texastc316

• Silver Member
      • Mighty 316th
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »
I've seen it. It wasn't pretty.
TexsTC-CO/Court Jester-Mighty 316th FS "CREEPING DEATH"  in MA/FSO

The eager pilots are not experienced. And the experienced not eager.

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline DEEC0NX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 08:17:59 PM »
Guess I must a been doing something wrong...... :headscratch: I always liked jugs, but felt like a slug most of the time. I just hopped back on and discovered the M....man was I happy! Me and the M model were just meant for each other I guess, idk how to explain it. Im a descent pilot and was usually pretty descent flying jugs, but this bird is something different. You guys fly your N's and I'll keep meh M  :airplane:

Offline 76646

• Zinc Member
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 09:29:05 PM »
From www.cradleofaviation.org

The XP-47N took to the air for the first time on July 22, 1944. Test comparisons were made with a P-47D-30-RE throughout the early portion of the evaluation period. Much to everyone’s surprise, the XP-47N, with its greater wingspan and higher weight actually proved to have better roll performance than the D model. At 250 mph TAS, the N attained a maximum roll rate just over 100 degrees/second. The P-47D-30-RE could manage but 85 degrees/second at the same speed. At higher speeds, the N widened the gap further. In mock combat with a P-47D-25-RE, the new fighter proved to be notably superior in every category of performance. In short, the XP-47 waxed the venerable D model regardless of who was piloting the older fighter. The new wing was part of this newfound dogfighting ability, however, the more powerful C series engine played a role too. The additional horsepower allowed the N to retain its energy better than the older Thunderbolt. Perhaps the greatest performance increase was in maximum speed. Though not as fast as the stunning P-47M, the heavier N was fully 40 mph faster than the P-47D-25-RE and could generate speeds 30 mph greater than its principal rival, the Mustang. Scorching along at 467 mph @ 32,000 ft., the N could not be caught by any fighter in regular service with any air force on earth with the single exception of its M model sibling. This combination of wing and engine had pushed the N model up to the top rank of the superlative prop driven fighters then in existence.
VMF- 214 "Blacksheep"

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2010, 10:48:20 PM »
From www.cradleofaviation.org

In my opinion, the P-47N model was the most advanced and capable American fighter to see combat.  While the M is a hotrod, I still prefer the N in game.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2010, 02:30:11 AM »
Seeing as I am fool enough to take a Jug up from a capped field and play on the deck, I like something light. I agree the drawback in the Razorback is internal fuel, but it is just such a good LOOKING plane. The N is nice, and I LOVE the skins for it, but I cannot stand those square wings. The filet on the spine is a nice feature, better than the D-25, but you just cannot beat the classic razorback. The only thing I don't like about her is her climb rate (My other love being the Bf-109) and her flat speed. Nothing pisses me off more than to work a Pony or an Lghey into a nice shot, be JUST out of range, and have him level out and extend with no hope of catching him.

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2010, 06:19:23 PM »
I bet if you hit your WEP at the top, you will get a bit of engine torque. The nice thing about all the jugs is that they are so heavy that the engine's torque effect is minimal compared to the likes of the 109. Its heavy size also means the gun platform is more stable too. However, you you put your jug into a 50-75mph stall with your nose pointed straight up, the torque will pull your plane to the left. I have flown the jug for a long time, and one of the things you want to avoid is sustained vertical maneuvers. Utilize more high and low yo-yos instead. The jug can hold E forever, but can bleed it in a fraction of a second if youre not careful. Smooth stick control and E management is critical for success in the jug.  :salute
+1 I agree and the N is superior! I get killed a lot easier in the M. All it has is higher top speed because of dumping all the ord hangers and a slight engine tweak. The N turns tighter, and has larger wing area as well.  :salute
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2010, 08:34:08 AM »
One thing I do *not* like is the attention.   :rolleyes:

Nine guys on your six and the tenth one will still dive down from the stratosphere to get a shot at you.

Odd behavior.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2010, 05:21:22 PM »

Nine guys on your six and the tenth one will still dive down from the stratosphere to get a shot at you.

Odd behavior.
Yah, ANY jug in a furball is the equivalent of flying low lancs past a gaggle of tempests, they all drop whatever they are doing to shoot the big fat noisy Amuuricn plane

Offline W7LPNRICK

• Gold Member
      • Ham Radio Antenna Experiments
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 10:56:05 PM »

Odd behavior.

Ya! What is that? The jug runs away better than most, as long as you have some room to dive and wep left, but people will come from other fights just to chase a jug-N? Colors? More attention getting color scheme?   :rolleyes:
WildWzl
Ft Bragg Jump School-USAF Kunsan AB, Korea- Clark AB P.I.- Korat, Thailand-Tinker AFB Ok.- Mtn Home AFB Idaho
F-86's, F-4D, F-4G, F-5E Tiger II, C-130, UH-1N (Twin Engine Hueys) O-2's. E3A awacs, F-111, FB-111, EF-111,