Author Topic: Foker DR I Skin  (Read 13471 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: Foker DR I Skin
« Reply #135 on: March 21, 2010, 06:54:58 PM »
Fellas, I think we really need to cut the hostility, and just simply explain to him how he is doing things all wrong.

Kingcobradude, here's the problem.... There's a way you go about making a skin. You have to create your own work, unless you've been in contact with somebody, and they say "hey, you can use this layer, or that file," and so on, so forth, etc.

What you're doing is just laying red paint bucket fills with reduced opacity on an existing skin.

Now, we all use the default skins to a certain extent. Most of us leave parts like internals, engine detailing, and whatnot, and detail the exterior. That, in general, is an accepted policy.

You need to create your own layers, and create your own effects and detailing and weathering on TOP of those layers.

I would suggest skimming through this:
http://www.nakatomitower.com/skins/tutorial.html

It has pictures, even!

Get an idea of how most of us go through creating skins. It is not the only tutorial you can find, nor is it the ultimate answer, but it WILL give you an idea of what you're doing wrong, and what you might need to do to be taken seriously.

I mean no offense, but currently not one of us takes you seriously because of the way you are presenting yourself and the quality of the work (and the fact it's using large parts of the default skin with a tint/shade applied over it). If you are interested in doing it "right" -- then by all means please keep working on it.

But if we say "uh, that's just not good," you might want to take a look at it, then ask "why?" instead of defending it. This will lead to discussions where you can learn "Oh, I need to create my OWN layer, add my OWN details on top!" or whatever.

I sincerely hope this helps. I'm trying to put out the flaming here. If you keep going as-is, it's just goin to keep fanning the flames.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #136 on: March 21, 2010, 07:13:00 PM »
My advice is to listen to Krusty, he knows what he's talking about and makes some excellent points above.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: March 21, 2010, 07:55:52 PM »
Fellas, I think we really need to cut the hostility, and just simply explain to him how he is doing things all wrong.

+1

This is ridiculous.  This is obviously a kid. 

Older and supposedly more experienced people have done worse things with others work and not had 1/10th the complaints this is getting.

Clubbing baby seals went out of vogue years ago.
Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: March 21, 2010, 08:52:04 PM »
Sorry for the hostility its just that von Richthofen is my FAVORITE human being that's ever walked and I hate to see that happen to his legendary DR.1. I apologize and I add that I am not a skinner and do not desire to be. however I would love to see his DR.1 in here but, even if the most prestigious skinner skinned it wrong, i would have something to say simply because it's my hero's plane you are butchering  :devil

Viel gluck

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #139 on: March 21, 2010, 09:45:06 PM »
thank you krusty. I encourage you to tell me things, such as my crosses being wrong, but Dont be hostile about it.
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #140 on: March 21, 2010, 09:52:33 PM »
Don't paint over other's skins in a low opacity... :noid
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #141 on: March 21, 2010, 11:16:53 PM »
+1

This is ridiculous.  This is obviously a kid.  

Older and supposedly more experienced people have done worse things with others work and not had 1/10th the complaints this is getting.

Clubbing baby seals went out of vogue years ago.

You haven't begun to see hostile, yet   :devil

He has been told what is wrong.  He replied with  "I know what I am doing"

He has made accusations about "jacking" skins.  He is the one trying to take shortcuts.

Advice on where to find resources has been posted.  The reply was "Fine, you do it, then"

Wanna jump in the fire?  Bring asbestos underwear.....

I understand Fencer's kindness.

When did your moral compass started working?     :headscratch:
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #142 on: March 21, 2010, 11:48:37 PM »
someone mentioned an ignore list somewhere. does anybody know where I can get in on that?
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2010, 11:53:57 PM »
oh noes! Kingcobradude's feelings is hurt! Everybody play nice!
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #144 on: March 21, 2010, 11:56:23 PM »
oh noes! Kingcobradude's feelings is hurt! Everybody play nice!
:rofl

no Im fine, itzs just I waNT TO KNOW

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2010, 12:01:25 AM »
someone mentioned an ignore list somewhere. does anybody know where I can get in on that?

I'm sure you're on just about everyones so no need for you to worry about it.  :aok
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2010, 12:14:29 AM »
I'm sure you're on just about everyones so no need for you to worry about it.  :aok
Please just answer my question

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2010, 06:55:02 AM »
If you want to be a skineer, that's great, but please know the research and hard tiring work that comes with it. You can't throw one together. And I wasn't even referring to "how" you made the skin. I was complaining about the skin itself. It's simply wrong. All I was stating. But, I wanted you to understand it was wrong so I was hostile, if you don't like it, find me some better work and I will congratulate you and proudly wear your skin. If it's wrong and is put into the game, I will call Skuzzy and argue my case.  :devil

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline VonMessa

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2010, 07:10:07 AM »
Please just answer my question

Another fine example on someone not willing to RTFM.........
Braümeister und Schmutziger Hund von JG11

We are all here because we are not all there.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2010, 11:28:36 AM »
Kingcobra, please read the following:

plagiarism

Literary theft. Plagiarism occurs when a writer duplicates another writer's language or ideas and then calls the work his or her own. Copyright laws protect writers' words as their legal property. To avoid the charge of plagiarism, writers take care to credit those from whom they borrow and quote.

It's a known fact that if someone plagiarizes, they can be sued for it, maybe even be thrown in jail. In school, you can be suspended or expelled. However, in the world of AH, I highly doubt you would ever get to this point. At best, HTC will send you a rejection email on the submission of your skin. At worst, they could ban you from the community (which I very highly doubt, so you shouldnt be too concerned).

Now to my point. I am not here to troll the boards and put people down; or here to "bash baby seals" as some may put it. I am simply trying to help you. Granted, what I say may seem harsh and blatant, you shouldnt take everything personally. If you choose to block some people on the boards, you are probably shooting yourself in the foot, as most of us here are trying to help you. Some people may say their words by sweetening it up with pleasant things and sugar coat them, but I am not like that. I say it how it is. So this is what I have to say about your skin:

1. It is historically inaccurate. Do your research!
2. This skin is plagiarized. Produce your OWN peice of work.
3. The skin looks like crap. Read up on Krusty's skinning tutorial and your skin will look so much nicer.

These three things basically sum everything up. I am not a skinner, nor would I want to try skinning, but I can at least give you some insight on what the skin needs improved on. Just because some people arent skinners doesnt mean they have a bad eye and shouldnt be listened to. Afterall, if many people are going to fly your skin, it should look good, right?
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies