Author Topic: Pacific  (Read 5454 times)

Offline shppr01

• AvA Staff Member
  • Gold Member
Pacific
« on: March 11, 2010, 11:59:50 AM »
No This is not the usual are you gonna watch this thread!
Tonight they are honoring the veterans in thwe the pacific in Arlington VA with keynote speakers Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg. I and my company am the lucky ones to have printed the programs foer the event. I happened to grab an extra copy for a keepsake!
P.S. dont usuially blow my own horn ,but just had to share  :banana:
Ingame : Shipper

Never put your gun down to hug a grizzly.

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
Re: Pacific
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:43:03 PM »
Woot, it's only been about 2 1/2 years since I first heard about it, and it's finally here, so don't forget tonight on HBO at 9:00P.M EST.
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 03:08:39 PM »
Im already waiting  :x :x

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 03:39:03 PM »
 :x :x :x
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline EskimoJoe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2010, 05:05:06 PM »
3 hours...        :neener:
Put a +1 on your geekness atribute  :aok

Offline DEEC0NX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2010, 05:07:17 PM »
Hopefully there wont be a bug that crashes HBO...... :bolt:  :neener: Just kidding guys! I cant wait for this either!

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2010, 06:31:53 PM »
The last episode of Band of Brothers ended with the episode "Points".  It dealt with the capture of the Eagle's nest and the how quickly the boys could get back home.

Any guesses what the last episode of this mini-series will be about?

My guess will be the story of the Marines waiting to invade Japan and their concerns against the backdrop story of the two atomic bombs.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2010, 07:04:39 PM »
DVR locked and loaded. :)
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2010, 09:00:27 PM »
    I kinda liked it. As much as the Pacwar is my favorite in ww2 history, for some reason the movies of it come out flat.  Hope it gets better.

~AoM~

Offline DEEC0NX

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2010, 09:01:22 PM »
I thought it was great! Cant wait for the next ones!

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2010, 09:12:26 PM »
I thought that it was great too, a good way imo to get into the next one.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2010, 09:35:01 PM »
I think 10 episodes is going to go by way too fast. This was just a taste of whats coming and it was sweet.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2010, 09:42:51 PM »
Wow, they really got going right off the bat. No basic training, just right into Guadalcanal.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline boxboy28

• Gold Member
      • http://none
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2010, 10:04:26 PM »
It was great as to be expected!    What i didnt like is the fact it didnt even start till 9:10 est   and ended at 9:50   when the credits rolled!    for a first episode yo would figure there would be a little more actual content!     left me feeling like i was jipped!
^"^Nazgul^"^    fly with the undead!
Jaxxo got nice tata's  and Lyric is Andre the giant with blond hair!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2010, 11:26:29 PM »
    I kinda liked it. As much as the Pacwar is my favorite in ww2 history, for some reason the movies of it come out flat.  Hope it gets better.

I had the same initial impression while watching.  My opinion improved as the first installment progressed.

Despite the producer's explicit statements that Pacific is *not* BoB in the PTO, I think many viewers are looking for that comparison, regardless.

The Thin Red Line fell victim to the same fate when movie-goers went in expecting to see SPR in the PTO.  TRL, by just about any critical measure, makes SPR look like a turd; yet one is clearly more popular than the other. 

Thus far, my biggest Pacific gripe is the lack of character development but, again... that's based on BoB comparisons I'm telling myself not to make...