Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 19774 times)

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
Where's WWI going from here?
« on: March 11, 2010, 01:42:09 PM »
Let me begin my saying HTC did an excellent job on the new arena and planes.  I'm impressed and have been enjoying it so far.  Nothing like stalling out at 100 feet, falling for two minutes and regaining control at 30 feet.  :lol

However, I don't believe the arena will be able to remain popular with it's current set-up (i.e. furballs).  I'm sure HTC has some plan (I hope) for future development or expansion of WWI but I don't recall anything being said about it.  So, my question is, what do YOU think should be done to keep the WWI arenas from becoming a no man's land?  Or why do you believe the arena would be able to stand as is?

Should it be developed similar to current WWII arenas, base takes, bombers, etc?  Is WWI GV fighting really a viable concept to pursue? 

A lot of questions, just a discussion on the future of it.  Obviously it's still very early and there are a lot of bugs and minor issue to work out first, I'm just looking at the big picture.
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 02:01:19 PM »
As far as base taking, IMO it should depend on whether HTC decides to create an Early/Mid/Late setup as we have in WW2. Some sort of fluidity in the Early and Late arenas, with Mid being more static to reflect the nature of the war in Western Europe. I think there's definitely need for some addition to gameplay, otherwise they may as well just add a second Furball Lake to the DA and close the stand-alone WW1 arenas.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2010, 02:03:26 PM »
Should it be developed similar to current WWII arenas, base takes, bombers, etc?  Is WWI GV fighting really a viable concept to pursue?  

No. Because it doesn't really work with WWI equipment (nor was the WWI ground warfera that dynamic on the western front at all). And also such an undertaking would surely drain a lot of development resources.

Also see what happened to EW when having the same basetaking gameply dynamics as the more popular LW arena.

As I said before, I wish for a few added ground targets to keep the arena alive on the long run and add combat variety... but even that i do not see coming in the near future.
I think HTC will be back to WW2 full power for now.
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline palef

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2010, 02:08:17 PM »
I've never been able to understand why people can't just enjoy a simple furball.

I think the OP should just lighten up.

The most important tactical task of WW1 aircraft was arguably artillery spotting. That'll make for dynamic game play.
Retired

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2010, 02:17:12 PM »
I've never been able to understand why people can't just enjoy a simple furball.

The most important tactical task of WW1 aircraft was arguably artillery spotting. That'll make for dynamic game play.

"Artillery spotting" and "dynamic game play", your kidding, right? We don't have artillery anywhere in the game now, so how we gonna "spot" it in the WWI arena?

Nutz
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 02:18:35 PM »
From here..... We'll add more aircraft. 

I think that's where we are going. 

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2010, 02:19:25 PM »

Well if everyone though like you the world would be much simpler wouldn't it?  I've been enjoying the furballs, but what happens in two months when there are 3 people in the arena at a time?  I can't predict the future but my opinion is that people will move away from the WWI planes once, as ThndrEGG says 'the novelty wears off'.

I'm getting the feeling you disagree with that, why do you believe WWI will remain a viable arena in a few months?  I'm honestly interested in hearing different opinions on this, much more than you telling me to 'lighten up' because I enjoy the game differently than you.
 :salute
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 02:34:40 PM »
I guess I'd like to see Barrage balloons for all 3 sides in the center. Help bring the furball into the center away from the fields.

Give you something to waste a few rounds on, etc.

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:37:28 PM »
  Nutz I dont think he was being serious :)

~AoM~

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »
I propose a simple "capture the flag" system in the ww1 arena.

Located away from the airfield is a destructable object with a flag. The object can be destroyed after so many strafing hits. Once it is destroyed the flag changes to the country that killed the object. There would be many of these spread around the map.

Capturing over 50% (?? 70% or mabey even 100%) of all the flags will win the war and all the flags will reset. I think the flags could reset without the whole arena resetting and disconnecting everyone.

This would promote a more spread out fight, or it could turn into a heated defense/offense for a country to keep their flags. It would require a little strategic thinking to win all the flags.

I guess sort of the same thing as killing the town and dropping troops but without the troops.

Offline 68ZooM

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2010, 02:47:05 PM »

Located away from the airfield is a destructable object with a flag. The object can be destroyed after so many strafing hits. Once it is destroyed the flag changes to the country that killed the object. There would be many of these spread around the map.

Capturing over 50% (?? 70% or mabey even 100%) of all the flags will win the war and all the flags will reset. I think the flags could reset without the whole arena resetting and disconnecting everyone.

This would promote a more spread out fight, or it could turn into a heated defense/offense for a country to keep their flags. It would require a little strategic thinking to win all the flags.

I guess sort of the same thing as killing the town and dropping troops but without the troops.

+100   :aok
UrSelf...Pigs On The Wing...Retired

Was me, I bumped a power cord. HiTEch

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2010, 02:48:46 PM »

This is wishlist worthy Agent! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2010, 02:50:11 PM »

Brilliant!  +1  :aok
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2010, 02:51:15 PM »
how many perks would one get for all that strafing once the flag war has been won?

and what would they spend it on  :D
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »

Couldn't agree more!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com