Author Topic: Where's WWI going from here?  (Read 20019 times)

Online gpwurzel

• Gold Member
Re: Where's WWI going from here?
« Reply #75 on: March 12, 2010, 08:56:45 AM »
Was having a blast last night yet again. Not too concerned where ww1 goes from here, enjoying it for what it is at the moment. Sure, at the moment, its horde v horde between bases - did a fighter sweep last night from one of the bases with my squaddies and a couple of friendlies - pushed the guys attacking back towards their base, squaddies agreed to pull away from the base to allow people to up (cant say about the other friendlies that were there).

Imo, the blasted bit in the center could be enlarged, its awesome flying over the broken/burnt tree's btw, and trenches etc could be extended. The ack at the bases is awesome, no vulching here chaps. Only thing I dont like about it is....when someone gets too close (nme) and you go to engage, you get mullered by it too lol.........(not a big deal, more funny than anything).

Wurzel
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline Peyton

• Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2010, 09:03:04 AM »

If you do not like or care for the WW1 arenas, that is fine, the WW2 arenas are all still there for you.  There is no point in being a detractor.  Reminds me of the whiny brat at the ice cream truck. You know the one.  The one bawling about how he hates chocolate while everyone else orders it, looking at him like he is an idiot because he does not have to order the chocolate.

Skuzz,
This is not an ice cream question...I'm asking seriously.  Will there be new maps, planes and vehicles for WW2?  Does HT still plan on supporting and developing for WW2 as much as WW1?

Thanks

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2010, 09:08:20 AM »
Because of the lack of bombers and the low altitude fighting I think the WWI arena would provide the perfect place fot HT to bring back the old storm fronts from AHI.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: March 12, 2010, 09:30:23 AM »
I feel a need to make myself clear.  I've been having a blast in the WWI arenas.  Have spent almost exclusively my AH time the last couple of days in there.  Both in the furballs and a couple 1v1s.  Typing out that you're going for a 1v1 in the middle worked very well.  There weren't many of us but those of us who were there were staying out of the 1v1s till a spot opened up. I landed and watched a long fight between Tec and Assi, quite impressive, before asking Tec if he need to rtb or could go.  By the way, I feel the need to redeem myself from those flights,  I have no doubt he is a much better pilot but... trees, damn trees!

Anyway, my point is the WWI arenas are a lot of fun, HTC did an excellent job.  I don't want to see any major changes yet because people are enjoying it just the way it is.  I wanted to have a discussion about the what future looked like for WWI because I don't think it will or will be able to stay the way it is right now.

LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #79 on: March 12, 2010, 09:39:33 AM »
I feel a need to make myself clear.  I've been having a blast in the WWI arenas.  Have spent almost exclusively my AH time the last couple of days in there.  Both in the furballs and a couple 1v1s.  Typing out that you're going for a 1v1 in the middle worked very well.  There weren't many of us but those of us who were there were staying out of the 1v1s till a spot opened up. I landed and watched a long fight between Tec and Assi, quite impressive, before asking Tec if he need to rtb or could go.  By the way, I feel the need to redeem myself from those flights,  I have no doubt he is a much better pilot but... trees, damn trees!

Anyway, my point is the WWI arenas are a lot of fun, HTC did an excellent job.  I don't want to see any major changes yet because people are enjoying it just the way it is.  I wanted to have a discussion about the what future looked like for WWI because I don't think it will or will be able to stay the way it is right now.

Oh, when I could get a 1v1 fight I enjoyed it, and accounted for myself quite well. The problem is that the general furball isn't even a group on group engagement. If you have ten friendlies and ten enemy aircraft all within a 2000 yard radius, do you have a 10v10 fight? Not at all. You end up with two 9v1 fights. EVERY TIME.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #80 on: March 12, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »
I love it all.  I would like to see Zepplins as gun platforms,  But most of all I would like to see a "city" map with buildings, bridges, rivers, narrow streets, and a mountain map with maybe a couple canyons thrown in for fun.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #81 on: March 12, 2010, 10:05:16 AM »
Skuzz,
This is not an ice cream question...I'm asking seriously.  Will there be new maps, planes and vehicles for WW2?  Does HT still plan on supporting and developing for WW2 as much as WW1?

Thanks

I do not work on the development side of things, so I cannot comment.  However, I cannot imagine a scenario where we stopped working on WW2.

My 'ice cream' poke was targeting a few people who insist on making derogatory remarks and not offering anything constructive to the discussion.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: March 12, 2010, 10:13:58 AM »
I cannot imagine a scenario where we stopped working on WW2.
I dont get it with some of these people?......because four new planes have been added the game is suddenly going to stop evolving and developing.....tis about the dumbest line of thinking I have yet encountered regarding this game.

Pass my regards onto the devs:  Wonderful beautiful splendid work has been done here.  I can't hardly wait for the F86 vrs Mig15 set up  :D
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: March 12, 2010, 10:17:37 AM »
You end up with two 9v1 fights. EVERY TIME.
Sounds like you are having a difficult go of it.  Srry to hear.  For me its been nothing short of redeeming.  LW has been dead to me for years, only MidWar has kept me paying.  This new arena is like frosting on the cake....Delicious!

Relax (don't do it)  :x
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #84 on: March 12, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »
...and not offering anything constructive to the discussion.

I actually have not seen this suggested yet:

Reduction of effective icon range.

Methinks that while 5,000 yards is necessary for the LWMA; 1,000 or 2,000 yards would be more appropriate for WWI.  The difference in closure rates is staggering, obviously.  600/700+ kts vs. 200+ kts, combined.

Ignoring the historical question of whether or not a pilot would be able to identify a very small aircraft (in comparison to WWII AC size) with less identifiable pain schemes (in comparison to Axis = painted v. Allied (US) = not painted and subject to sun glints, by and large) at 5,000 yards, the thought in my head is that this would accomplish a couple things which might improve the experience:

1.)  For those in favor of period tactics, as the arena evolves beyond "lets see what this is all about" it will allow for a somewhat better chance of a successful bounce out of the sun (which seems to be brighter in the WWI arena?)

2.)  It might actually even out and spread out the fights.  If you consider that the mentality of the average player is cautious when at a numerical disadvantage and aggressive when at a numerical advantage, the inability to see the odds (sea of red/sea of green) at such a long distance might change the dynamic of when a player decides to firewall it towards a furball.  If that player, with that average mentality, cant see that the furball is a sea of green from so far out; he might be less likely to decide to add to the green population from further out.  By time he is close enough, the ability to reverse his decision is lessened, should the odds not be to his liking.  Theoretically, this may result in multiple furballs between countries instead of a single furball.

3.)  Might add to immersion ("oh crap!") and give the psychological impression of a more fast-paced environment in spite of the slower speeds.

Am I off my rocker or was one cup of coffee enough to effectively articulate what's in my head?  The way I figure, a 5,000 yard icon range in the WWI arena is akin to a 15,000+ icon range in the LWMA.

Thoughts?

(EDIT:  For kicks, I think it would be just plain cool to see the occasional tracer round pass from one trench to the other.)  :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:44:13 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: March 12, 2010, 10:51:48 AM »
I could see this going either way as far as addressing the mob mentality. If you can't see any bandit outside 2000yds, it may lead to more caution and guys holding altitude rather than have a dozen friendlies dive on one con since there's going to be less warning when reinforcements arrive.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #86 on: March 12, 2010, 10:56:39 AM »
"DON'T EVEN TALK ABOUT PLAYING THE GAME IN ANY OTHER WAY THEN WHAT I THINK IS FUN!"  :furious

-Jayhawk aka 'fun sucker'

Actually, if you thought about it for a minute, you're the one who doesn't want the game played any other way than what you think is fun.

You have all that win-the-war crap along with your other oh-so-fantastic ideas already available to you in the WW2 arenas. You HAVE the game you want; it's played there in WW2.

Your problem is that now there is a NEW arena with a different game. Actually, it's the game as it was played at the very beginning of AH, before the dross you love was added. The old straight up air combat, which is what attracted the first cadre of players, enabled HiTech Creations to flourish as a company, has become new again.

And you want to change it. Because it's not the way YOU think it should be played.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #87 on: March 12, 2010, 11:03:47 AM »
I could see this going either way as far as addressing the mob mentality. If you can't see any bandit outside 2000yds, it may lead to more caution and guys holding altitude rather than have a dozen friendlies dive on one con since there's going to be less warning when reinforcements arrive.

I considered that... though I'm not sure what the probability of each potential result coming to fruition actually is.

Wonder if HTC already tried it during testing and axed it.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:08:22 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #88 on: March 12, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
Your problem is that now there is a NEW arena with a different game. Actually, it's the game as it was played at the very beginning...

Doesn't it feel bloody friggen fantastic to be able to say that?

All of the furballer/landgrabber arguments of the past God-know-how-many-years decided with a single arena and a HTC-lead return to roots.

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside.  Hold me.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 11:08:39 AM by Saurdaukar »

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #89 on: March 12, 2010, 11:16:11 AM »
I am just amazed.
People have the thing one day and they think its doomed if it doenst get the "campaign game mission generator built in"
I honestly cannot believe that people can be such bellybutton hats.
I play the thing and marvel at the compromises that HT and pyro have put in, keep the flight quirky but approachable add the wind sounds in, nice tight little map that keeps the battle going for such slow aircraft.
I am impressed with the balance they have sought. Others think its a failure because its a furball. As if such tight turning slow planes will not always form a furball. They did in WW1 idiots!

To say this arena and these planes are just like the other arenas(as if that would be bad) is just incorrect.
In these planes and this arena you get the very cool dynamic of the wall of air that forms the boundry of the fight between red and blue. On each side will be 10-15 planes, with no one crossing that line until someone thinks they can take advantage of their 120 mph shaky dive and get a good shot at another kite. Then the two sides collide like two card decks being shuffled by a vegas dealer and 10 minutes of hillarity ensue while the gangs decide who owns this 7 11 parking lot.  

These fights are very intimate. How could you not like it?