Author Topic: Too much instablity in WW2 planes w/ part of wing missing after patches.  (Read 2162 times)

Offline lulu

• Silver Member
With difficulty and by trimming it is possible to rtb. Notch of flaps down can be helpful. It stabilizes the plane very well.

:salute
mobilis in mobile

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
gyrene, when you guys have been around longer you might not have commented as you did. bow, imadot, you two seem to have been around long enough to know better.

Countless WW2 planes came back in horrible mangled fashion, but they got home.

In AH, you can most times use the EXISTING aileron to roll toward the intact wing. It requires a lot of effort and concentration, and you cannot use autopilot or combat trim, but you can make it back. Landing? That's another question.

I'd be much more inclined to think something's up with the stability. I recall quite clearly many times in the past where I've lost both outboard wingtips so the roll effect mostly nullifies itself, and rudder use helps you fly home. These were long ago, though. Lately, I've had it happen a few times in recent AH history, but the plane was so unstable and bouncing around across all axes -- even with flaps out -- that it was uncontrollable.

Being able to maintain some resemblence of control with 1 wingtip missing is normal and intentional in this game.

What he's saying in his post is that he can't do that anymore. Something has significantly changed. Many people who have been around longer and paying more attention than you all are noticing many changes with the latest patches, and he is reporting one of them in an attempt to report a bug, or to find out from HTC if this is something other than a bug.

Offline MutleyBR

• Copper Member
gyrene, when you guys have been around longer you might not have commented as you did. bow, imadot, you two seem to have been around long enough to know better.

Countless WW2 planes came back in horrible mangled fashion, but they got home.

In AH, you can most times use the EXISTING aileron to roll toward the intact wing. It requires a lot of effort and concentration, and you cannot use autopilot or combat trim, but you can make it back. Landing? That's another question.

I'd be much more inclined to think something's up with the stability. I recall quite clearly many times in the past where I've lost both outboard wingtips so the roll effect mostly nullifies itself, and rudder use helps you fly home. These were long ago, though. Lately, I've had it happen a few times in recent AH history, but the plane was so unstable and bouncing around across all axes -- even with flaps out -- that it was uncontrollable.

Being able to maintain some resemblence of control with 1 wingtip missing is normal and intentional in this game.

What he's saying in his post is that he can't do that anymore. Something has significantly changed. Many people who have been around longer and paying more attention than you all are noticing many changes with the latest patches, and he is reporting one of them in an attempt to report a bug, or to find out from HTC if this is something other than a bug.

Thanks Krusty.

You explained it very well, specially in the 2 last paragraphs.   :aok :salute

Mutley
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:35:07 AM by MutleyBR »
"If you're in a fair fight, you didn't plan properly."
Nick Lapos, chief R&D pilot, Sikorsky Aircraft

"To go up, pull the stick. To go down, pull the stick back harder..."

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
Elevator damage FM has changed also.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
lots of planes rtb with 1/2 a wing, but not with 1/2 wing missing on both sides.  and the planes would not fly at full speed, like they do (or did).  rtb with 1/2 a wing was the exception, if you consider that as soon as the wing came off, the pilot bailed and I bet most of the ones that returned were hit by ack, not by another plane.  you have all seen movies with different planes that lost 1/2 a wing and the pilot lots control right away..

semp

btw 1/2 a wing is not a wing tip but that's another story.
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Yes guncrasher... you must be right... because you're basing your facts on some movies.....

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
not sure if there is much of a difference, I've still been able to land F4U's with half a wing on CV's. Now i have noticed my half a wing is coming off with 1 hit more often.

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
Krusty, I've been around long enough to know the D-models handle differently than the M model when part of a wing is missing...the M and N models are easier to stabilize than any of the D-models...and there is a difference in handling between the left wing and the right wing due to the engine torque...max speed for stability is different as well...if you have flap damage on one wing and missing part of the other wing...forget it.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Actually.. if you have flap damage on the intact wing, and parts missing  on the OTHER wing, that is the best situation you can find yourself in. You drop your flaps a couple notches. The damaged flap stays put, and the working flap adds lift to the damaged wing.

In effect, it cancels out the missing parts.

The M and D wings are exactly the same, FYI. The N has more surface area (squared tips) but only slightly so.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Yes guncrasher... you must be right... because you're basing your facts on some movies.....

yup and those movies were shot from the gun cameras of ww2 airplanes. but who u gonna believe the gun cameras or..(insert another sarcastic comment here )

semp

btw does anybody know if missing 1/2 the wing would disable the hydraulic system in the plane?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:33:59 PM by guncrasher »
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline BowHTR

• Gold Member
i dont believe there would be any kind of hydraulics in the wings. but it would prolly leak fuel.
AH Supporter Since Tour 35

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Infidelz

• Nickel Member
I think missing one aileron would eliminate 1/2 your trim and not all of it. Your also going to have to use rudder and lots of up elevator to keep it flying, along with throttle inputs.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
Just for the record, I was dogfighting in my B25 earlier, and for the first time ever I managed to lose one vertical slab and the associated elevator and rudder.  Initially it entered a spin, but when I recovered after about half a revolution, I found that the plane was not only stable, but also pleasantly manoeuvrable.

I'm not complaining about the apparent gain in manoeuvrability, however this definitely seems strange to me.  First, I lost an elevator, and of course the plane became substantially less manoeuvrable, however it seems illogical that:
a) it would initially enter a spin, but then be fully controllable, and
b) by losing yet more control surfaces, I would actually gain manoeuvrability...this seems sort of the wrong way round.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
GUNCRASHER,

I've flown both F4s and F15s home with dead wings (in the real world) do to "hydraulics" loss...its not fun, but certainly doable.

-Rodent57
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE