Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7186 times)

Offline Heater

• Silver Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #105 on: April 19, 2010, 04:00:54 AM »
Angus....

Will you put a cork in that thing.... it's starting to block the sun here :)

this is a photo from 10:30 this morning from my back yard.

HiTech is a DWEEB-PUTZ!
I have multiple personalities and none of them like you !!!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: April 19, 2010, 06:37:27 AM »
Doing my best ,- Expecting the bloody thing to make a dust layer in the house tonight. That means windshift, so the cloud may head to the Atlantic or the USA, - depending on whether the winds will be from NE or SE.
Arrrrfff....bloody volcano. And the peak is about 30 km away from me....
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2010, 06:49:47 AM »
Where is your cave located Angus? Is it easy to find on google?

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2010, 07:05:09 AM »
Thnax for the vids and pics.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Russian

• Gold Member
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2010, 07:21:32 AM »
Angus, you guys have caused me  so much trouble. I have just spent the most surreal 'end of world' days ever. I can post it here because it's sufficiently separated from my normal life. Sufficient to say I fly here, hint, hint. Because I'm one of the few commercial pilots flying these days, ATC asked me to report on the ash cloud. This I duly did. I posted on a couple of local websites as you to advice for local pilots. Next thing as I drive to the field this morning. I get a call from my boss asking me to delete a certain post. I agree on the basis that he is my boss and anyway it's not a big deal. When I log on, it's already gone, along with another similar.

Eventually I figure out that the instigator is a much respected local pilot who got to the equivalent of Skuzzy and got my post deleted. Mainly because he doesn't want the local authorities to panic and ban all flying in this country. This I can understand even though I'm peed off that I've been censored.

So today when ATC ask me to report the ash cloud. I'm in a dilemma. Luckily it's absent today.

It's a crazy world right now. I have never known anything like it. Normally I get vectors but the absolute absence of airline traffic is actually disturbing.

Can you expend on that a bit? What material they decided to remove?

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2010, 08:53:22 AM »
Where is your cave located Angus? Is it easy to find on google?

Here:

63'45'00.06N and 20'14'41.14W

My spare cave where I might move to if things go bad is:

59'55'01.76N and 10'43'38.79E

Please notify the inhabitants to have my room ready.
All the best.
Angus

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2010, 09:33:02 AM »
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2010, 10:56:23 AM »
I'm missing my grandfather's funeral because of this. He died last week - funeral is tomorrow. Ironically, they expect airspace to re-open over Scotland tomorrow but all too late. Not a happy camper.

Of well -  :salute Donald Service (RAF 1941-46 North Africa and Middle East Campaigns). I'll be raising a glass of whisky to him tomorrow.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2010, 10:58:39 AM »
That is sad. Anyway, what part of the RAF? My great uncle served with 111 sqn in N-Africa from Nov 1942 untill approx March 1943.

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2010, 11:11:54 AM »
Here:

63'45'00.06N and 20'14'41.14W

My spare cave where I might move to if things go bad is:

59'55'01.76N and 10'43'38.79E

Please notify the inhabitants to have my room ready.
All the best.
Angus

uhhh are you in a boat?

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2010, 11:15:19 AM »
That is sad. Anyway, what part of the RAF? My great uncle served with 111 sqn in N-Africa from Nov 1942 untill approx March 1943.

He didn't talk much about it, but by putting together the places he talked about and the fact that the squadron was involved in anti-submarine patrols, I believe it might have been No.14 Squadron. He certainly spent time in Algeria and Palestine.

Anyway, sorry - I'm getting us off topic.

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
« Reply #116 on: April 19, 2010, 07:23:58 PM »
Angus, glad yr ok
still. What part of the island are you located?

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: April 20, 2010, 01:51:24 AM »
I am in the south, merely 30 km from the peak of the volcano.

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #118 on: April 20, 2010, 03:03:02 AM »
I am in the south, merely 30 km from the peak of the volcano.
the link you posted earlier Angus
http://www.gardsauki.is/eng/standort_and_anreise_eng.html
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: April 20, 2010, 05:48:28 AM »
Exactly.
hehe, being in the guasthouse business, I have had some marooned Frenchmen (flight cancellations) who are now working for me, a helicopter crew, and in the next days Geologists, some that come from Cambridge. Strange days indeed.
The eruption is now changing, - there is less ash and lava is starting to flow. The wind favours me still, for it is pushing the smoke away. I can still "enjoy" the view, but with a heavy heart, for some of my colleagues suffer bad.