Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7189 times)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #120 on: April 20, 2010, 06:32:33 AM »
Can you expend on that a bit? What material they decided to remove?
Fairly innocuous, just reporting that I flew through the layer multiple times without any negative impact on the aircraft, quite a thin layer too, all but invisible until you were level with it. But you knew it was there when you smelled it and felt it on your lips. Reminded me of my trip to Iceland. :aok

Like I said I think it was pulled because it was feared the authority might overreact and start to restrict VFR traffic too. But the ash was gone next day anyway or at least it was a bit higher.

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #121 on: April 20, 2010, 06:57:56 AM »
Latest news (time is 1257 BST) of flight restrictions is that the ash has reached Newfoundland and Labrador and it's no-fly from or to those locations.

The Purple Cloud is spreading . . .

:cool:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Gaidin

• Silver Member
« Reply #122 on: April 20, 2010, 07:42:21 AM »
Is the Volcano still erupting?  Did the bigger one that is close to that one have any activity rise?
Death is but a doorway to life, only those who fear life fear its opening.

Ingame: 68Gaidin

Proud Member of the CM Team
FSO - Admin

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #123 on: April 20, 2010, 10:17:28 AM »
The eruption is changing into a more lava-based eruption (which is much better) as well as there seems to be very little activity in the dormant neighbor.
Some theories actually indicate that this is working as a tap-off, which would be very good news indeed.
Hopefully this stops soon. Always looking at it, - can't stop! And alas, it is but the big thing I see right outside.
At night we can see the fire and the lightnings in the ash as well. Yeacchhh!!!!
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #124 on: April 20, 2010, 09:57:06 PM »
I just wanna know. How many carbon credits is that volcano going to have to buy from gore to make this right????

:neener: :devil
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #125 on: April 20, 2010, 11:23:37 PM »
Just image if this volcano erupted in, lets say 1943-1944.  How much would that effected the air battle over Europe. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline RipChord929

• Silver Member
« Reply #126 on: April 20, 2010, 11:32:45 PM »
I think Mt Vesuvius did erupt in the 44 45 period.. I remember seeing pics of planes in Italy with guys sweeping a couple feet of ash off the wings of B25s..

RC
"Well Cmdr Eddington, looks like we have ourselves a war..."
"Yeah, a gut bustin, mother lovin, NAVY war!!!"

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #127 on: April 21, 2010, 01:00:48 AM »
I think Mt Vesuvius did erupt in the 44 45 period.. I remember seeing pics of planes in Italy with guys sweeping a couple feet of ash off the wings of B25s..

RC

Yes, it did erupt in 1944 and have not since then.  But that eruption was minor compare to the eruption in Iceland right now.  Also the jetstream will not push the ash north but more east south east direction.  Another factor is that Mt Vesuvivs is not under 500 m of ice. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #128 on: April 21, 2010, 01:10:03 AM »
I just wanna know. How many carbon credits is that volcano going to have to buy from gore to make this right????

Seems some people have difficulty with the concept of "more".
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #129 on: April 21, 2010, 03:21:17 AM »
Latest BBC news at 0920 BST: UK and most of the rest of European airspace has re-opened to traffic.

The 'Eruption Disruption' is easing slowly . . .

:cool:

Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #130 on: April 21, 2010, 08:35:25 AM »
Volcanos have a very quick and effective cooling effect on the atmosphere, and the carbon emission is actually only a fraction of what we tiny humans add to the air. The emissions are also ash (dust particles etc) and sulphur, which causes cooling for a while. And a lot comes out, - I have heard the number 750 tonnes per second for this one.
Here is a link to a very good photo-archive of the eruption. And this is mostly what I see out the window. I even know most of the people in the pictures. Highly recommended:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html

It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline trax1

• Gold Member
« Reply #131 on: April 21, 2010, 10:16:33 AM »
Volcanos have a very quick and effective cooling effect on the atmosphere, and the carbon emission is actually only a fraction of what we tiny humans add to the air. The emissions are also ash (dust particles etc) and sulphur, which causes cooling for a while. And a lot comes out, - I have heard the number 750 tonnes per second for this one.
Here is a link to a very good photo-archive of the eruption. And this is mostly what I see out the window. I even know most of the people in the pictures. Highly recommended:
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2010/04/more_from_eyjafjallajokull.html

Wow, that first pic with the red lightning is just amazing. :aok

Are you getting any ash on the ground where you live?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 10:19:27 AM by trax1 »
"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline redman555

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #132 on: April 21, 2010, 10:21:59 AM »
Living in California right now you wound think there was a volcano cooling us lol.  Raining in end of April very odd for us.

-BigBOBCH
~364th C-HAWKS FG~

Ingame: BigBOBCH

Offline Lepape2

• Nickel Member
      • YouTube musician/video channel
« Reply #133 on: April 21, 2010, 10:30:44 AM »
Here is an animation showing the ash plume dispersion in the atmosphere in a 6days period. I'm surprised we had some ash here in eastern Canada  :confused:. Some flights have been cancelled to Gaspe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8rCsr9b0u0&feature=player_embedded

Jug Movie 1 - Hunt or Prey
Jug Movie 2 - The Jug's Tail

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #134 on: April 21, 2010, 11:01:06 AM »

lol
Oaktree

56th Fighter group