Author Topic: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away  (Read 7204 times)

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
Re: whoa, a Volcanoe started erupting some 15 miles away
« Reply #165 on: May 03, 2010, 09:26:52 AM »
Thanks again.
And your toddler will perhaps add AH hours to yours. I found out that my older daughter, - at the age of some 1.5 years, was quite fond of AH, which she called by the name "Brooomm-broomm". I had her sit beneath me with an old keyboard and a joystick, lol.
Anyway, back to the Volcano. Am expecting a spectacular view and a lot of air traffic soon. The forecast is such that we will have sunshine.
The crater is estimated to deliver some 40 tonnes of lava per second now, as well as 20-30 tonnes of ashes. This is quite a bit. The lava river has now managed to run down the mountain and reach the base. A river is there, assembling the melting water from the lava river cutting through the ice. The water is now at 17 degrees celcius instead of the normal 4 or so.
I'll link some pictures and stuff later.
The eruption does not seem to be petering out BTW. On the contrary.
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #166 on: May 03, 2010, 12:14:22 PM »
Was a special on Nat Geo about your volcano.

They made it sound like the 2 volcano's are linked, once the little one starts blowing its just a question of time till the nasty one wakes up.

Duck and Cover Angus!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #167 on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:08 AM »
They are linked, - or seem to be. The big one has a habit of blowing after this one stops, - but then it is "only" a moderate eruption. This one is about moderate as well, but much closer to me. I am not about to tie a tin had on my pet cow.
This one blew last in 1821, and the eruption lasted for 2 years. The other one ets over with the business in much shorter time. The main problem there is flooding, then....ashes.
Now we have quite a lava-based eruption. Will be a sight to see once the fog lifts.
The discovery channel has covered this, - they were here the other day. 60 minutes were at the mountain 2 days ago, and Top Gear a few weeks ago (they drove ON the lava). Has any of that arrived on TV?
It was very interesting to carry out the flight trials at Rechlin with the Spitfire and the Hurricane. Both types are very simple to fly compared to our aircraft, and childishly easy to take-off and land. (Werner Mölders)

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #168 on: May 04, 2010, 02:22:48 AM »
Well the ash cloud has shut down our airspace again this morning but only in Ireland this time.......for now. No flights in or out. It hasn't gone away!

Offline Denholm

• Plutonium Member
      • No. 603 Squadron
« Reply #169 on: May 04, 2010, 01:23:43 PM »
Angus, ever figure out if that rain was acidic? Usually acid rain is found in a state between vinegar and battery acid. It's been known to kill fish, too.
Get your Daily Dose of Flame!
FlameThink.com
No. 603 Squadron... Visit us on the web, if you dare.

Drug addicts are always disappointed after eating Pot Pies.

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #170 on: May 05, 2010, 08:58:28 AM »
Here is Craig Ferguson's angle on the eruption, as well as his try at pronouncing "Eyjafjallajökull".
Hilarious as usual ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzY1VHUTDHg
The flights that have been cancelled number 100.000, or so I hear.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #171 on: May 05, 2010, 10:37:24 AM »
WOW , I would get the hell out of there asap ..
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: May 05, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »
Naaaa. Even the old ladies here don't.  :devil

Offline 1pLUs44

• Gold Member
« Reply #173 on: May 05, 2010, 11:49:45 AM »
If Yellowstone goes it most possibly puts the whole planet to 'nuclear winter' meaning close extinction for us. So the ones that blow up with it are actually the lucky ones.

Well hey, if it happens, it happens. No sense in worrying about it, and hell, as far as I'm concerned, my life was easier before I knew there was a gigantic super-volcano almost under my feet that's overdue to explode.  :aok
No one knows what the future may bring.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #174 on: May 05, 2010, 12:02:22 PM »
1pLUs44 , I hear ya . I don't like even being close to it . I'm to close now being in Memphis ..

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: May 05, 2010, 12:26:42 PM »
Yellowstone is bad, - a supervolcano. Probably the baddest of the baddest in the world. Then you have Indonesia and the Med. Ours are not that bad, so it is more like a tourist attraction. It is an odd life to basically "live" with a spewing volcanic craters and fissures, lava-falls, melting glacier and so on, only some odd 15 miles away. (this one is actually some 18, but....)
And....life actually goes on in it's routine. There is indeed more work for some, and some aid is needed for some, which others make an effort in order to fulfill.
And blast, - it is a grand sight anyway!

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #176 on: May 05, 2010, 01:17:37 PM »
More photo's please ...

Offline sntslilhlpr6601

• Copper Member
« Reply #177 on: May 05, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »
Well hey, if it happens, it happens. No sense in worrying about it, and hell, as far as I'm concerned, my life was easier before I knew there was a gigantic super-volcano almost under my feet that's overdue to explode.  :aok

Don't expect it to just pop like a cork like in the movie 2012. You'll have some time to get out.  :aok

Offline Angus

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: May 05, 2010, 05:29:19 PM »
Here should be one. Taken from very near, and gives a typical sunny-day's view.
The Glacier is about 5000 feet high by the way, and today, the smoke and ash reached some 31K.

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #179 on: May 05, 2010, 05:42:31 PM »
That's just wild ! Thanks for the pic ..