Author Topic: P-47N, 1st FS, 413 FG  (Read 5458 times)

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
P-47N, 1st FS, 413 FG
« on: March 24, 2010, 09:34:31 AM »

I'm still cleaning up the BMF a bit. I spent more time converting my last 47N skin to this, than I did adding the new marking! Heheh, I guess that's how it always goes.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on all the details. "The serial no. is in the wrong place, you got the wrong font" etc.

I'm not sure about the stencilling... I've turned the layers off for now because the photos from the other thread aren't totally clear and I can't tell what level of text/writing is present around the airframe. I don't see any, but can't tell if they were there but the photos just don't capture it. My previous blue-tailed skin may be in error in this regard, because it has them all over.

I  just noticed at the time of posting that the OD antiglare creeps up onto the canopy. I will fix that. The squad emblem may get repositioned/resized, I need to mull it over. And it seems my fuselage star is too small. I will fix that based on profiles and pictures and bring it up to scale.

P.S. My previous skin had weathering geared towards different markings. I need to rework some of the underlying and create some new for the black areas. That's on my to-do list.

Offline WWhiskey

• Gold Member
Re: P-47N, 1st FS, 413 FG
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 09:59:26 AM »
 :aok i'd fly it!!!
Flying since tour 71.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 11:31:02 AM »
It looks really good Krusty. Only minor criticism I can make is maybe the shading under the cowl flaps could be toned down a bit.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 11:40:30 AM »
I think I would loose the text under the squadron logo as the picture of this plane only shows a circle with possibly the picture of the squadron logo. Also on the front cowl the letters AC are also there as well & most likely on both sides. Other wise looking good.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 11:43:07 AM by lyric1 »

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 11:45:27 AM »
It looks really good Krusty. Only minor criticism I can make is maybe the shading under the cowl flaps could be toned down a bit.
It was! lol! I can do it some more  :aok

I was under a mistaken idea of how the cowl and fuselage merged with my previous 47N skins, so they have the shadow going all the way around (as if there was a full ring gap). This is wrong and I cut it where it should, and toned it down.

D'OH! I think maybe full opacity, now that I think about it. I did some tweaking and never thinned the layer out. (*makes note*)

P.S. Thanks lyric, I did not notice the letters up on the nose. They were too washed out for me. I did notice some on another plane, but they were about level with the leading edge of the wing, and did not appear to match the plane code. I refer to the pic in the other thread (link to pic:)
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/barneybolac/1c.jpg

Any idea what that is?

EDIT: Oh, and as an FYI I do recognize the difference in letter font, I'll be making a new fuse code later.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »
P.S. Thanks lyric, I did not notice the letters up on the nose. They were too washed out for me. I did notice some on another plane, but they were about level with the leading edge of the wing, and did not appear to match the plane code. I refer to the pic in the other thread (link to pic:)
http://i1002.photobucket.com/albums/af142/barneybolac/1c.jpg

Any idea what that is?

Always puzzled me with that N5 stencil I was hoping for a jug expert to clue me in.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 02:49:10 PM »
Nice looking. Good metal.  :aok

Whats she look like from the pilots seat veiw?

Question as a side werent the P47's pron to chiping more than some other US Ac?
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 03:01:09 PM »
I would not say "more prone" to chipping... They had a larger presence in the PTO, where the salt water, the sandy islands, and the low-level attack runs would take their toll, for sure.

I imagine those in Europe had less to worry about than those island hopping to Japan.

Offline PJ_Godzilla

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 03:04:51 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

I'm still cleaning up the BMF a bit. I spent more time converting my last 47N skin to this, than I did adding the new marking! Heheh, I guess that's how it always goes.

I guess I'm looking for feedback on all the details. "The serial no. is in the wrong place, you got the wrong font" etc.

I'm not sure about the stencilling... I've turned the layers off for now because the photos from the other thread aren't totally clear and I can't tell what level of text/writing is present around the airframe. I don't see any, but can't tell if they were there but the photos just don't capture it. My previous blue-tailed skin may be in error in this regard, because it has them all over.

I  just noticed at the time of posting that the OD antiglare creeps up onto the canopy. I will fix that. The squad emblem may get repositioned/resized, I need to mull it over. And it seems my fuselage star is too small. I will fix that based on profiles and pictures and bring it up to scale.

P.S. My previous skin had weathering geared towards different markings. I need to rework some of the underlying and create some new for the black areas. That's on my to-do list.

Mr. Krusty, I love your work. Please tell me about the crosshatch going on here. It looks a little too regular to be underlying structure/flush rivet lines or maybe not... No, I haven't read the tutorial -it's another cool thing for which I have little time.

I really want to see some winter ground cover in the arenas and more Luftwaffe winter skins - but I'm a fringe loon.  
Some say revenge is a dish best served cold. I say it's usually best served hot, chunky, and foaming. Eventually, you will all die in my vengeance vomit firestorm.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2010, 04:02:30 PM »
The "cross hatch" is really a few layers I have with rivets and the shading/highlights that go along with them.

Here's the funny thing, it looks TOTALLY different on the bitmap than it does in-game. On the bitmap it's nowhere near that apparent. I'll have to screw around so it looks in-game how I currently see the bitmap. Strange how certain planes do this. I wonder if it's the materials file messing it up.

There are other areas, like I bitmapped a white "hotspot" on top of both wings representing light reflection obscuring details, but in the screenshot it's as if that layer isn't even on!

Strange things are afoot at the Circle K

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2010, 04:11:14 PM »
Very nice. Noticed the wingtip strobes...that'd be neat if we could actually use them.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2010, 04:15:47 PM »
Actually I'm thinking of changing the formation lights... They're supposed to be clear glass with colored bulbs underneath. I thought it was colored glass. You may notice my 47N skins are the only ones like this. Not exactly correct.

Offline Banshee7

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 08:01:19 PM »
Kursty, your newer skins are looking 10x better than your older ones!  Very nice looking skin, dude!
-=Most Wanted=-
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

||||||||

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 08:37:02 PM »
Nice looking. Good metal.  :aok

Whats she look like from the pilots seat veiw?

Question as a side werent the P47's pron to chiping more than some other US Ac?
413TH F/G was a group that was formed right at the end of the war & only did a few weeks of actual combat sorties so I would think their jugs would have looked fairly new even at wars end.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2010, 04:08:25 AM »
Just make sure you only have one aileron trim tab on the correct wing.  Also, I'm not a fan of gun soot around the barrels, as I've yet to see a photo from the war that shows gun soot around the barrels.  Also, I don't like the effect on the cowl flaps.  The only time cowl flaps were opened was during taxi and takeoff.  The other 95% of the time, cowl flaps were closed.  The BMF needs to have a less homogeneous finish.  It looks too "clean" and "uniform".  Most of the shots I've seen, BMF aircraft look more "burnished" than polished.

Anyway, always nice to see N Jug skins...
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech