Author Topic: To those people who fly the AVA:  (Read 2849 times)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
Re: To those people who fly the AVA:
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 08:49:56 AM »
Of course, the moment you start talking about jugs... all I could think of was beer...

Jugs of German beer.  mmmmmmm

"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 08:59:48 AM »
hmmm good thing i'm headed there next summer 2011. family brewery waiting for me!!

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2010, 10:59:09 AM »
Awesome Jaeger1  :aok

:rofl Fork, how much you wanna bet the one on the left is on her second mug?  :cheers: You made me change my sig
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 01:23:45 PM by Chilli »

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2010, 05:31:56 PM »
Hello all,

Most of you know about my longtime preference and support to AvA (Ex-CT). It is my opinion that AvA is heading in the right direction. In practically all areas.

I believe that AvA weak point is in numbers, especially in Euro Time Zone. Right now, this is the only reason that makes me log into EW or MW. I have logged on with one or two players on and had to leave because they seem to be afk. Quite frustrating, really.

More air traffic in AvA between 21:00 and 24:00 hours GMT, please. That's all I wish for.

<S> all
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2010, 06:53:44 PM »
Hi sparow

The 358th Daybreakers are trying like heck to populate the arena in all time zones, Monday thru Wednesday this past week we had some decent attendance starting around 22:00-23:00hrs GMT. Loose Deuce stopped in and a good time was had by all.

Maybe you can help us by bringing some GMT players with you.

Check out the website. Most of the forum is open to visitors and you can see what we are trying to plan. You can even register as a limited member.

http://358daybreakers.webs.com/

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2010, 07:39:34 PM »
Hi Jimson,

I'm honoured by your kind invitation. I will surely visit your " virtual home". I'm very aware of the great efforts that you all are doing in order to bring more people into AvA in weird GMT hours... Unfortunately, I am unable to bring more people in. 249 RAF roster is totally depleted, a shadow of what once was, reduced to a memory, a one man squadron on the fringe of extinction. RL not allowing me no more than a few hours of flight every week, I also regret not beeing able to be present more often.

I'll check your site and will try to check into AvA in different evenings other than Wednesdays and Sundays.

Keep up the good work and <S>
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline gldnbb

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2010, 09:08:03 PM »
You'll find me in there more often, so as the situations remain good through different moderators setting up their terrains and so long people want to work together.  Numbers 

Fun!
To fly or not to fly, that is the question
-The Golden BB-

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #22 on: May 07, 2010, 07:02:51 AM »
Good   :aok

No enemy icons
Friend icons no shorter than 1k or longer that 2k
Shorter maps for now... keep action up
AvA balanced plane sets
well placed AK
Good group of mature pilots

Bad :cry
lack Arena momentum
Inconsistency. Lack of Continuity and consistency with arena set ups...
poorly placed AK. 
Lack of a daily/nightly dedicated regular population.
To much Pacific theater plane set repetition.

Nr Raven pretty much sums up my feelings also.  <S> to Nr Raven

With regards to "Inconsistency. Lack of Continuity and consistency with arena set ups..." that is already starting.  The current setup BofB has had the Radar set to in-destructable. Obviously this was done to dampen the no-icon effect at the request of somone possibly. 

Those of you that "clamor for "more numbers" should be ready and willing to resist the increased change requests that come with your increased numbers.  Where do the changes stop? When it is no different than MA other than the plane set?
+Dr Evil's Death Squadron+

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2010, 08:56:55 AM »
With regards to "Inconsistency. Lack of Continuity and consistency with arena set ups..." that is already starting.  The current setup BofB has had the Radar set to in-destructable. Obviously this was done to dampen the no-icon effect at the request of somone possibly. 

Those of you that "clamor for "more numbers" should be ready and willing to resist the increased change requests that come with your increased numbers.  Where do the changes stop? When it is no different than MA other than the plane set?
The radar thing is my fault...and it's just an experiment to see if it helps or hinders the action, especially when night comes along...I suggested it to prevent the lame unecessary porking of base radars that otherwise were not being attacked and because on large maps especially there have been complaints about not being able to find the action when dar is down.

There is discussion going on as to what standards can or should be used in order to promote more activity and create an environment that is reasonable for not only the experienced but also the occasional players that want to try something different. The end goal is to build a population of dedicated players that enjoy the more historical and immersive experience that can be had in the AvA...while making reasonable efforts to discourage lame activity.

The AvA staff is welcoming recommendations but, as with all suggestions, consider the impact on other players and whether or not a suggestion will help or hinder participation...fact is right now participation is spotty so everyone should expect at least some temporary changes to some settings just to see what works and what doesn't.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2010, 10:26:46 AM »
If the AvA is aiming for realism then the indestructible radar makes perfect sense in the European theater. Getting rid of radar and effective command and control was not possible with a few bombs in Europe.

As someone with lots of experience with no icon arenas, the combination of no radar and no icons kills numbers very fast, especially in a big terrain. If you can't find the fight, you don't fly in the arena.

Instead of thinking of game radar as equivalent to its real world counterpart one should think of it as the total system used to detect track and intercept hostile aircraft by both sides. Electronic means were used alongside visual reports in every theater. Radio was used to give the information to the pilot. Instead of radio calls we get pretty colored dots.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2010, 10:35:24 AM »
If the AvA is aiming for realism then the indestructible radar makes perfect sense in the European theater. Getting rid of radar and effective command and control was not possible with a few bombs in Europe.

As someone with lots of experience with no icon arenas, the combination of no radar and no icons kills numbers very fast, especially in a big terrain. If you can't find the fight, you don't fly in the arena.

Instead of thinking of game radar as equivalent to its real world counterpart one should think of it as the total system used to detect track and intercept hostile aircraft by both sides. Electronic means were used alongside visual reports in every theater. Radio was used to give the information to the pilot. Instead of radio calls we get pretty colored dots.

+1
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2010, 10:47:51 AM »
radar is blow-upable again!......with a twist!

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2010, 12:24:37 PM »

What is the purpose of "Base Flashing" then?

You can't find a fight with a flashing base (no matter the map size)?  You can but you have to put a tiny bit of effort into it. I know what's coming next, the range is too short. My answer, increase it.

Let this be a lesson to you all that this organization will not tolerate .......... F-a-i-l-u-r-e!

Offline DktrEvil

• Copper Member
      • TheFunZone.com
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »
It's more and more obvious to me that the type of settings we are talking about are really geared toward Squad type activities.  Squads bring numbers and participants are usually aware of what they'rer getting into (usually the reason they're in the arena to begin with).

When I see "the numbers" they are usually due to Squad participation.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2010, 12:32:51 PM by DktrEvil »

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2010, 12:54:01 PM »
Posted by gyrene81:
The radar thing is my fault...and it's just an experiment to see if it helps or hinders the action, especially when night comes along...I suggested it to prevent the lame unnecessary porking of base radars that otherwise were not being attacked and because on large maps especially there have been complaints about not being able to find the action when dar is down.

No need to apologize, nothing out of line here. I also suggested to Jaeger that something be done about dar porking. Players enter the arena, selectively pork a few radars then sit back and wait for the opposition to launch and feel like they've gained an edge.

In an arena with lower numbers and very low icon settings radar helps create and sustain the fights. Most players in the AvA don't use radar as a substitute for good SA once the fights on but it does help people find the fight in the first place. The CM is simply trying foster game play and build some momentum in the arena. Seems the decision to make radar porkable again is a bit premature.