Author Topic: "The Pacific" Part 4  (Read 2116 times)

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
"The Pacific" Part 4
« on: April 04, 2010, 09:04:07 PM »
   Well.... next week looks good!

~AoM~

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
Re: "The Pacific" Part 4
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »
   Well.... next week looks good!
:aok
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2010, 08:05:05 AM »
  Im really disappointed with the series so far. Everything from the casting, the battle scenes, everything. I'll keep watching it, but I dont expect much. Hopefully it will turn around.

~AoM~

Offline RichardDarkwood

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »
  , the battle scenes, everything. I'll keep watching it, but I dont expect much.

How can you say that?

That battle on Guadalcanal looks right on from all the original footage and photo's I have seen. The thousand japanese bodies steched across alligator creek looked scary like it was the real thing.

my .02

Todd
A yappy back seater like Jester wasn’t popular or fun to fly with, more of an unnecessary distraction than anything else---Puma44

https://www.twitch.tv/hounds_darkwood
CO--The Bad Guys

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2010, 08:18:23 AM »
"Band of Brothers" set the bar really high. Almost a decade later, the theme song still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck, and sends a chill down my spine. It's going to be next to impossible to reach that level again.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline indy007

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 09:47:58 AM »
  Im really disappointed with the series so far. Everything from the casting, the battle scenes, everything. I'll keep watching it, but I dont expect much. Hopefully it will turn around.

Peleliu is next, and it takes 3 episodes. It's not going to be pretty. Leckie's unit went in with 1500 guys. A week later they've got about 30 combat effective.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 10:29:39 AM »
The Iwo Jima and Okinawa episodes will be brutal as well. Especially if they touch on the civilian impact of Okinawa.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2010, 12:02:55 PM »

Well, if you compare the two books the series was based on, Leckie's and Sledge's, E.B. Sledge's book is the better, and in my opinion, by a large margin.  Considering that almost all of these first 4 episodes have been based on Leckie's memoir, I should think that remainder of the episodes will, at least, be buttressed by a better foundation.  I think some of Leckie's experience, given its more intangible, mental impact, is tough to encapsulate in a 45 minute episode.  Some of what happened with him in this episode I found to be the most compelling yet.  The letters to Vera (which aren't represented in the book) are a clever technique to illustrate his frame of mind.
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech

Offline John Curnutte

• Nickel Member
      • Precisionsquad.org
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2010, 02:40:07 PM »
 Stoney I agree with ya on that . Leckie's story was changed up from the book some . However Sledges story is the better of the two . Lets just see where this goes .
With all things they can't get everything perfect and I don't expect them too . I am enjoying it so far and it is entertaining to me .
                Nutte
Don't be afraid to put it out there , if it gets cut off it'll grow back
On your mark , Get set , go away !

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2010, 02:48:34 PM »
   Todd, my wife even said it lastnight, something about how you dont really get attached to thses guys like you did in BoB. Just my 2 cents as well :)

~AoM~

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2010, 06:49:07 PM »
The Iwo Jima and Okinawa episodes will be brutal as well. Especially if they touch on the civilian impact of Okinawa.

The high civilian deaths will be a touchy subject to cover.   They may thus avoid it.  The US view is that the high death toll was the fault of the Japanese military and their government's propaganda, and not the fault of US military action.  In contrast, the Japanese describe the American troops as bloodthirsty savages, bent on murder and rape.

Hopefully the series will not show disputed acts like US troops mass raping young little girls, as the Japanese have claimed happened.   If it does, I will never watch HBO again.

Offline Tango

• Silver Member
      • http://www.simpilots.org/
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 09:00:40 PM »
It seems to me like its pushing the anti-war message down the viewers throat.
Tango78
78th Razorbacks
Historical Air Combat Group

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 09:18:56 PM »
If your showing the lives of individual soldiers in the battles they were in some what realistically how could you be Pro war? My father was a WWII & Korean war Vet with the Australian army he loved war movies but always would tell me that the movies were always total BS not even close to the horrors he witnessed & the false bravado of a John Wayne movie.

I would say so far it is a fair to good portrayal of how those guys dealt with the situation they had to live with based off what so little my father would discuss.

Offline TwinEng

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 09:21:02 PM »

Executive Producers Spielberg and Hanks are simply trying their best to "educate" the American public.

Offline Stoney

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 09:23:50 PM »

Executive Producers Spielberg and Hanks are simply trying their best to "educate" the American public.

These are the same guys that are responsible for publicizing and raising the money for the WWII memorial in Washington DC.  I don't think there motives are in question.  Also, I take it that you guys (Tango and TwinEng) haven't read either of the books the series is based on?
"Can we be incorrect at times, absolutely, but I do believe 15 years of experience does deserve a little more credence and respect than you have given from your very first post."

HiTech