Author Topic: What is with the uber zeke  (Read 2369 times)

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
What is with the uber zeke
« on: April 20, 2010, 08:59:50 PM »
when did the zeke start being able to dive turn and pull lead at 500 mph?
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands,
hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats."- H.L. Mencken

Offline Mar

• Gold Member
Re: What is with the uber zeke
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 09:10:29 PM »
Maybe it was the day you forgot to start filming?

No offense, just trying to be funny. :D
𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝓈𝒽𝒶𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓈 𝑜𝒻 𝓌𝒶𝓇'𝓈 𝓅𝒶𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝒹𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓃 𝑜𝒻 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒶𝒾𝓇 𝓇𝒾𝓈𝑒𝓈 𝒻𝓇𝑜𝓂 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝑔𝓇𝒶𝓋𝑒

"Onward to the land of kings—via the sky of aces!"
  Oh, and zack1234 rules. :old:

Offline kingcobradude

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 09:12:21 PM »
you forgot one hit kills with bullets that barely touch your  plane while being pounded by full gun load of p38
CO, Druileáil Teagascóir, and Lámh Cathaoirleach Ginearálta of the Irish Air Force

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 09:25:58 PM »

Going to need to see a film on this.  Having fought a couple of Zekes last night in the MW arena, none of them were able to follow me in a dive nor any turn with me above 350mph IAS.

you forgot one hit kills with bullets that barely touch your  plane while being pounded by full gun load of p38

Again, post the film.  In the engagement I had with the Zekes (A6M5s), each one died with a single burst of .50s from my P-38.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:32:45 PM »
well, you're right I didn't film it but I wasn't expecting it. I mean a zeke diving from 15 k with a hog then at the bottom making a hard right and then a hard left well in excess of 450. I do admit i forgot to shift my stick back from mode 2 gv's to mode 1 airplanes but that zeke was doing stuff I had never seen before. I tried to go back and find him but the field was capped and I didn't make it.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 09:41:10 PM »
They've been quite adept at diving and high speed manuvers for a long time. It's been quite annoying. Only thing to do is force them to bleed off what E you can, and then you have some room to manuver.

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 10:14:50 PM »
I satisfied my own curiosity. I got it up to 518 with combat trim on if he manually trimmed it probably a little faster.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:55:35 PM »
If you were in an A6M5b, then it isn't a bug as the A6M5b would have been able to reach those speeds as shown in the screenshots while in a dive.  The dive speed restriction was 400knots (460.31mph TAS) and just because it had a dive speed restriction doesn't mean there was something mechanical that prevented it from exceeding those speeds in a dive.  It was just a safety restriction warning the pilot that beyond those speeds may cause things to go south for the pilot.

ack-ack

Offline wgmount

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2010, 12:11:10 AM »
I thought it was the control mechanisms were so weak that the airflow over the wings would cause them to be less functional same as the bf109. I thought this would happen at around 400. oh well I've been wrong before.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2010, 01:47:20 AM »
I thought it was the control mechanisms were so weak that the airflow over the wings would cause them to be less functional same as the bf109. I thought this would happen at around 400. oh well I've been wrong before.

At high speeds, around 325mph TAS or so, the controls do stiffen on the Zeke but without a film to see it happening it's hard to make any determination.  There are just some things you can't tell from a screenshot.

But you may be right and there could be a bug.  I found one with the P-38 after patch 4 that allowed it to dive way beyond it's dive limits without suffering any negative affects and be able to easily maneuver at speeds of 575mph+.  Thankfully, it was fixed in Patch 5.

ack-ack

Offline Noah17

• Copper Member
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2010, 06:19:13 AM »
I was in the DA a few days ago flying and F4U-1A. I had a zeke easily turn behind me at a distance of about 800 while at 424 MPH. I was diving and rolled left and pulled hard going in to full blackout for 2 seconds then eased the stick back(I didn't lose control) and the zeke was right there with me.

I've complained about the zeke before. Over 300-350 the controls are supposed to stiffen because of the general design (airflow) and there is no hydraulic assist for the pilot. People are just not strong enough to be able to pull the stick in real life......But in AH the pilot I've been told is modeled as "superhuman strong." The strength of U.S. planes vs. Jap planes throughout a good part of the war was the ability to dive away but, that is not handled well here.

I don't think I still have the film. I've complained about it before only to get the same answer about "pilot modeling" so I didn't bother. I don't know if manual trim would help that much. Was the pilot of this zeke "pounding the K button?" If he did would that keep him behind me in the F4U's high speed turn?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2010, 06:39:45 AM »
Noah the A6m has difficulty rolling right at high speeds. You went left.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2010, 08:57:55 AM »
I was diving and rolled left and pulled hard going in to full blackout for 2 seconds then eased the stick back(I didn't lose control) and the zeke was right there with me.

a 2 second full blackout is really a significant time to be blacked out, especially when you do not know if the opponent was blacked out or not, if he did not black out he could have easily got inside your turn.......

* not taking into account the speeds at which you posted, 424 mph........ he possibly could have eased off on the G's once you initially blacked out and he was in the tunnel.....

« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 08:59:48 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2010, 12:32:11 PM »
Tequila's got it right.  Just because you black out at the bottom of the dive pulling hard, and particularly changing direction after doing it, the enemy might have changed trajectory in several ways to lessen the angles and their need to pull Gs.  The ease we can put trim in might also account for it.

There's just no substitute, this is definitely the kind of thing that needs film to prove it.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2010, 05:51:17 PM »
 I did some testing with Wingmount last night and there is no bug,I climbed to 23k and dove to 520TAS and started into compression.A 2G pullout snapped both elevators off,there was some control stiffening above 350TAS as there should be.

If anything maybe the controls could use abit more stiffening above 400/450 TAS but nothing seemed much different from the Zeke in versions past.

:salute