Author Topic: newb question  (Read 1750 times)

Offline billswagger

• Zinc Member
newb question
« on: April 28, 2010, 04:15:54 AM »
Hello all,

I just downloaded the latest version of AH2, and it seems to be running a bit better for me than previous versions.
I'm in the process of mapping controls which i know will take some time to get comfortable with.
I've been able to figure a lot of it out by reading some of the bulletins and other help pages but i keep stumbling over the mouse pan views which is the setting i've preferred to use with other simulators and games. 

Maybe someone here can help me make sense of the views and settings so that i can get them configured how i'd like them.

What i'm trying to do is pan with the mouse, but only when the left mouse button is pressed.  When the left mouse button is released the mouse view returns to the center position.
I was able to tool around with the settings and got this to work, but when i later returned to the game something changed because instead of remaining centered, the mouse moved around regardless of whether i pressed the left button.  I was also getting twitching and shaking as though the mouse view moves to another angle for a split second and then returns to where my mouse is pointing.  There is no hat switch or keys mapped to act as a hat switch.
I'm trying to figure out what changed or how to get it so that the mouse stays centered unless i use the left button.

Here's what i have so far:
The mouse axi are mapped to the pitch and yaw views
The left mouse button is mapped to the "mouse hold" key so that the mouse input is read only while held.
I've also played with "preferences/views" settings and from what i can figure the mouse snap views needs to be unchecked, and starting in mouse view needs to be checked unless i press "shift M" at the beginning of the sortie.
I also pressed the "tracker move" key which got the mouse moving around the very first time i used the game, but i haven't figured out its placement or roll for configuring the mouse pan the way i'm trying to get it.

I figure a veteran player or someone using similar settings can help me out.

thanks and hopefully i can get airborne soon.
:joystick:

Bill

Offline mijoieau

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
Re: newb question
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 04:54:56 AM »
Hi Bill
your answer is called a joystick , $25 bucks and its all better

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 07:09:07 AM »
I think you need more buttons on your mouse with a configuration editor program for it...or buy a joystick. You would be a lot better off with a joystick.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline AKP

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 07:49:33 AM »
Bill,

Welcome to Aces High.  The others are right.  To get the most out of the game, start off with a joystick... and I recommend at least one that has rudder control on it to start (aka: twist stick).  That will give you full control of your aircraft.  Eventually, you will want to go to rudder pedals... but for now, a twist stick will do.  The Saitek AV8R is a good stick, and not very expensive.  There are other good ones out there I am sure, and it is all a matter of preference.

As you progress into the game (get hooked LOL) you will be like the rest of us and get rudder pedals and other stuff too.  But flying with a mouse is just going to frustrate you and get you killed quite a bit without learning anything. 

Good luck, and hope to see you in the air.

:salute

***G3-MF***

Offline billswagger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2010, 09:20:44 AM »
thanks for the replies.

I actually have a joystick, but i will head your advice if i think i need more hardware. Never hurts... :) I'm quite accustomed to flight simming, so maybe i'm not a total newb to the sport, just this particular game.  My question was getting the mouse pan to work properly because that's what i've grown use to with other simulators.  That's just what works for me, and i know most people will do what suits them.
I had to adjust to using it because some sims don't have padlock, and i always thought the hat switch was somewhat limited in a dogfight. It probably just takes some getting use to also.  In the end, i found that the mouse pan was best for my SA, because it also meant that i no longer needed to padlock on opponents.   Padlock is SA killer, imo.  I don't know how much that applies to this game, but i will find out the more i play.

Anyway, I think i was actually able to sort out my problem.  As it turns out, i don't need to activate the mouse movement (shift M) if i have the mouse axis already mapped.  I use the mouse hold function on my left mouse button and make sure that the internal view mode is in Pan view (f8, i think).  This allows the mouse to only move when i press the left button, and it snaps back to center when released.  Perfect for what i need, now its just a matter of fine tuning and smoothing out the settings the more i play.
As you know, control mapping can take several weeks to find a comfortable configuration.  My mouse has five buttons and my controller has 4 thumb buttons and a trigger as well as another axis.  So i need to fiddle around with it more to see what works, though i see the need for some pedals at some point, i'm gonna attempt to see what can be done for the mean time. 

thanks again,

Bill

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2010, 09:42:11 AM »
Hi Bill,

The tracker move refers to the trackir. You don't want that. The mouse pitch and yaw is for mouse control not views.

I figured you had a joystick because you said you didn't map the hat to views.  :lol

Edit: Before I switched to TrackIR I found that using 2 hats in combination, one on the throttle and one on the stick, gave me the fastest and most intuitive views.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:02:18 AM by FLS »

Offline daddog

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.332nd.org
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2010, 09:55:14 AM »
Welcome to Aces High. :)
Spending some $ on a joystick would be well worth it. You will enjoy it so much more.
Noses in the wind since 1997
332nd Flying Mongrels
daddog
Knowing for Sure

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 10:35:11 AM »
What brand/type of joystick do you have?
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline billswagger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 11:31:34 AM »
Hi Bill,

The tracker move refers to the trackir. You don't want that. The mouse pitch and yaw is for mouse control not views.

No worries mate, i figured it out.  

To end any sort of confusion,

When i go to map controls, and dial in the mouse, there are choices for ANALOG YAW VIEW and ANALOG PITCH VIEW which i set to the corresponding axis.
I inverted the Y axis so that when i move the mouse up, i look up. Default has this flipped around.

When i enter the game, the mouse doesn't respond.
So i have my left mouse button mapped to, GLOBAL MOUSE CONTROL HOLD DOWN
The mouse still doesn't respond while the left mouse button is held down.
If i press VIEW TRACKER MODE MOVE, the mouse begins to respond, and will move as a PAN, SNAP, or INSTANT depending on the DM setting, when the left mouse button is held down.  When i release the left mouse button, it goes back to center.
Perfect.  :aok

I also don't need any of the boxes checked in the PREFERENCES/View options screen as they interfere with this mode.

I have a Logitech Joystick that has lasted me over a year and half.  I may need a new one soon, but to be honest there are other priorities in front of that one or any hardware for flight simming.  I'm actually considering a computer upgrade before anything else so i need to make work with what i have.

Bill

« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 11:40:42 AM by billswagger »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »
Thanks Bill, if anyone else has any mouse view problems I'll refer them to you.  :cheers:

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:23:22 PM »
Have you tried mapping left mouse button to shift M, that engages mouse view. Then you can use the mouse to pan around for views. I've never used mouse for views but the re-centering aspect might be a problem although I suppose you could map right mouse button for F1, to return to center view.
Welcome to Aces High and good luck.
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline billswagger

• Zinc Member
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 10:53:50 AM »
Have you tried mapping left mouse button to shift M, that engages mouse view. Then you can use the mouse to pan around for views. I've never used mouse for views but the re-centering aspect might be a problem although I suppose you could map right mouse button for F1, to return to center view.
Welcome to Aces High and good luck.

I actually had it that way to start.  The confusing part was figuring out that shift M activates the mouse pan view regardless if you have the YAW/PITCH VIEWs mapped to the mouse.  I started to get twitches and stutters in the pan views because the game was reading both inputs. ie both the YAW/PITCH VIEW and the Shift M view. They are really similar, actually, but actually mapping the YAW / PITCH VIEWS and deactivating shift M, lets me activate and center using only one button.  Pluss i get the option of adjusting how sensitive or responsive the pans are. In effect, i can get a nice steady bead on targets even while i loop around or barrel roll.  I think its the next best viewing option to TIR once you get used to it.

I've hit another stumbling block and i think it might actually be a bug so i will take it up over at that forum.

thanks for all of your input.

Bill

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 02:23:53 PM »
I think you need more buttons on your mouse with a configuration editor program for it...or buy a joystick. You would be a lot better off with a joystick.
sad to say but i don't quite understand why everyone on here says you have to have a joystick  :confused:, I've gone up against people with sticks and done just as good. i went to try a joystick because even though i was doing good with a mouse, that i could do even better with a stick, seconds later i was back to a mouse again  :rofl. i started out with a keyboard and mouse, and still using it.

Offline Yossarian

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 02:47:34 PM »
sad to say but i don't quite understand why everyone on here says you have to have a joystick  :confused:, I've gone up against people with sticks and done just as good. i went to try a joystick because even though i was doing good with a mouse, that i could do even better with a stick, seconds later i was back to a mouse again  :rofl. i started out with a keyboard and mouse, and still using it.

Sorry, but IMO this is very poor advice.

The simple answer for me is: a mouse doesn't automatically centre itself.  A joystick does.  Additionally, a mouse also has to be used to control the game menus, so you can't use the map and control your plane at the same time.  With a joystick, you can.  Also, your mouse (unless it's a gaming mouse) will probably only have maybe 5 buttons on it.  A decent joystick can have 2-3 times that number.  Also, a joystick has a hatswitch (views), and generally a rudder - both of which a mouse will not have.

I'm almost 100% certain that if you'd stuck with the joystick, you'd find it improved your flying.
Afk for a year or so.  The name of a gun turret in game.  Falanx, huh? :banana:
Apparently I'm in the 20th FG 'Loco Busters', or so the legend goes.
O o
/Ż________________________
| IMMA FIRIN' MAH 75MM!!!
\_ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Offline Buck

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 04:39:02 PM »
Sorry, but IMO this is very poor advice.

The simple answer for me is: a mouse doesn't automatically centre itself.  A joystick does.  Additionally, a mouse also has to be used to control the game menus, so you can't use the map and control your plane at the same time.  With a joystick, you can.  Also, your mouse (unless it's a gaming mouse) will probably only have maybe 5 buttons on it.  A decent joystick can have 2-3 times that number.  Also, a joystick has a hatswitch (views), and generally a rudder - both of which a mouse will not have.

I'm almost 100% certain that if you'd stuck with the joystick, you'd find it improved your flying.

No my mouse only has 2 buttons on it, not a gaming mouse. all i said was that i don't understand why people say a joystick is better, i fly well with a mouse, and if you say a joystick could make me do better, i would be shocked. Because i've done very well with it, thats all I'm saying.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 04:51:29 PM by Buck »