Author Topic: How do old time players feel...  (Read 2531 times)

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
Re: How do old time players feel...
« Reply #60 on: April 26, 2010, 07:02:25 AM »
Agreed.  The crowd is younger and less interested in the history.

Still beats any other air combat game I've seen.

- oldman

Agreed.

I would add that the stuff you read people complaining about today on the Forums is the exact same stuff that was complained about 8 years ago.

This thread inspired my new Sig quote.  (top one)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 07:06:47 AM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2010, 07:47:35 AM »
I feel the game is about the same as it was 5 years ago except now we have more toys, better graphics, and an improved damage model.

Although the arena caps are a bit annoying at times, I have no problem with them.  ENY at 20 or 25? Grab a plane that requires some skill to fly.  No problem.

I'm not a fan of the furball, but enjoy all the rest of the options that the game offers.   
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline shreck

• Silver Member
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2010, 09:47:18 AM »
I think most of the complaining is probably a result of more higher quality players! A larger community, more really good sticks and many more avg to good sticks than ever before. This makes survival in the furball ever more difficult to achieve and makes most feel as though they have been gaynged. The reality is a larger # of compitent sticks miss less often :aok

Welcome to Aces High success  :banana:   more peeps means more quality as time goes on!!  good for them :salute

Offline 999000

• Silver Member
« Reply #63 on: April 26, 2010, 11:38:18 AM »
Great game then...
Great game now...

and I never wine until sombody shoots me down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #64 on: April 26, 2010, 12:45:12 PM »
about the direction the game is going?  Am I the only old time player that misses the single arena, the fighter town? How about the massive 50+ player missions, and the amazing maps with no arena cap?  Personally I thought the game was 100x better seven years ago when I first started.

-BigBOBCH

The game has progressed along beautifully.  HTC has really done an outstanding job continuously updating the program.

Gameplay, however, seems to have developed an inverse correlation with the above.

Offline Reaper90

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2010, 12:09:17 PM »
IMHO the only aspect of this game that peevs me off (and I've never heard anything positive concerning it from players, only negative or indifferent) is the arena cap. I understand HiTech's position and why he says it must be there, but IMHO it's the ONE THING that regularly irritates the crap outa me. It's possibly the ONLY thing that could drive me to find another game..... the fact that on a regular basis I'm either stuck in the DA or another less populated arena and I cannot fly with my squaddies, because LWO is capped at something silly like 100 or 150, just because no one wants to fly in LWB for whatever reason.

The rub, I think, is that if numbers really do decline when caps are not in place and customer #'s increase when caps are present....  I think it speaks more to the fact that most of the "loyal" customers hate the caps but wouldn't let that push them to leave, where-as people who do actually "leave the game" when caps are not in place may be leaving for other reasons... I just don't see how it could be 'too many people in one arena' that's causing people to leave when there are already numerous other less populated arenas where they have a place to go to 'get away from the horde.'

But, I'm not an "old time player' - I've only been here for a year and a month, so what do I know?  :)

Otherwise, this is the most awesomely addictive fricking thing I've ever gotten hooked on.  :rock
Floyd
'Murican dude in a Brit Squad flying Russian birds, drinking Canadian whiskey

Offline Simba

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2010, 01:50:15 PM »
"People just always seem to think things were better in the past."

They were - drinks and smokes were cheaper.

Ah, nostalgia isn't what it used to be . . .

:old:
Simba
No.6 Squadron vRFC/RAF

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2010, 06:23:21 PM »
I'm happy with the DA and the WW1 arena. I'll probably keep doing those quite a while.

Never visit the MA anymore, don't miss it a bit. It's gotten beyond silly.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
Is this is a poorly veiled whine for a single no cap arena.

If you remember correctly, about 7 years ago ...

I believe that 200-250 players was the max that the arena saw and even then it was surprising to see 200 people online.

The arena and each country was run by squads that were loyal to that country and would ALWAYS take on the opposing squad(s) head-on ... like MAW vs AKs ... epic battles. Never did these squads try for a base and if encountering opposition ... move to another area on the map with no opposition.

Score was not a big deal ... the 1st tournament that HTC held to determine a "Top Gun" was the day this game changed dramatically is ways that most will never know.

Yes it was fun back then, and for me, it's still fun ... If you know how to adapt.

I think you and Dan summed it up best.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline SpinMan

• Zinc Member
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2010, 01:12:46 PM »
175/100 Orange
75/100 Blue with 25 eny:(

Time to engage in some self abuse perhaps it will change by the time I get back:(

Spin

Anyone can defend themselves only the BEST can defend the bombers!
Otto-Ghecko-Salamander-SpinMan

<<<Anyone Can Defend Themselves!  Only The Best Can Defend The Bombers>>>