Author Topic: How do old time players feel...  (Read 2599 times)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: How do old time players feel...
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 12:42:27 AM »
I enjoyed it back then when I got time to fly.  I enjoy it now when I get time to fly.  No problem with the direction things are going as long as the air to air doesn't disappear.  I could care less who wins the 'war'.  

I must be happy with it. I am still here.  :D

Things really haven't changed much at all in terms of game play. People just always seem to think things were better in the past.

The Ruling is in, some need to throw away those ROSE COLORED Glasses, John Connelly went out in the mid eightys.......  :aok
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 01:53:56 AM »
I took a long break, barely playing at all from mid-August when I got banned from the BBs for a month until just recently.  This month I've actually flown quite a bit and I've got to say the fun is mostly gone.  I can't quite pin down why.  Maybe it's a combination of things.

I log on and I can fly with or against a hoard otherwise there's scattered onesies across the map and, of course as soon as you up to fight one they disappear and you have to fly for two days to get to the next one.  I can't find any good GV to GV fights anymore without airplanes continually bombing the GV's and ruining the fight.  Beyond that all the fun hiding spots are gone (remember those tunnels in AHI?).  The strats moved to the north pole so there's no fun in trying to bomb them anymore and if you bomb a CV or a hanger you're public enemy #1.  If you do try to bomb the strats by the time you do and land they're back up.  While it never bothered me in the past, now it seems like every fight ends with some idiot puffing up his chest on 200, win or lose.  I log on to try to have a little fun and that just makes me want to log back off.  We used to have a lot more maps and some (Pizza) even had different terrains.  While the graphics have improved overall there's a lot of things that have come, and then gone for no apparent reason.

Those are just a few examples of the frustrations of the game without taking into consideration split arenas, caps, ENY, etc., etc., etc..  Some of those things I don't mind, some I do but I don't think any of them have helped the game.  Maybe they've helped HT's bottom line but I don't see big growth in numbers.  In fact I'm not sure I see the numbers online that I did before the arena split.  If that blue line thing was still in effect I'd have been gone long ago. 

I know a lot of people still like it but for me anyway, the game just isn't what it used to be and, like I said, I'm not sure exactly why.  I'll keep sticking it out for a while but more and more I feel like my time to quit is drawing near.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2010, 02:03:50 AM »
I took a long break, barely playing at all from mid-August when I got banned from the BBs for a month until just recently.  This month I've actually flown quite a bit and I've got to say the fun is mostly gone.  I can't quite pin down why.  Maybe it's a combination of things.

~snip~

I know a lot of people still like it but for me anyway, the game just isn't what it used to be and, like I said, I'm not sure exactly why.  I'll keep sticking it out for a while but more and more I feel like my time to quit is drawing near.

BaldEagl, I know you have been playing these online flight sims for well over 10+ years....... alot of us are getting old....... things change to each person, personally, as we get older.... that's just the nature of living I guess..... is why things become stale if you let..... your Tri-annual 1vs1 Tourny is something that helps keep you here, is it not... you wanted to find something new, something different..........that you had not done for 12,000 hrs before already.....

my personal view....

( you're not going anywhere, may take a break , we all do, but you not going anywhere  ;) )

:cheers:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2010, 02:23:15 AM »
Personally none of the changes have effected me one bit. As I stick with high eny ride,swap countries and haven't been involved in a squad for years. Though disappointing to still have the same yak cockpit from beta days. But no big deal.

However if I think back to early 2000 - 2003  and the squad days of organised ops between us and one or more squads doing missions etc. If that was how I still played and especially if I was a CO, then I'd find the changes frustrating and most likely to of quit.

Simply because eny,cap and split arenas have had a big impact on squads compared to how they use to be able to operate.

<S>...-Gixer

« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 02:25:01 AM by Gixer »

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2010, 03:11:37 AM »
  My game hours speak for themselves. Not sure if its the way the game is played now, or just me growing sick of it...finally.

~AoM~

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2010, 03:33:43 AM »
Let's see, going back 3 name changes ago (playing as TigerZ), I would have to say that H2H was the bomb  :rock

2 name changes ago (playing as BlueBox), I would have to say that Combat Theater was the bomb  :banana:

and 2Chilli2, couldn't get enough of Fighter Town or Tank Town.

The direction that the game is going may be a bit slanted towards drawing in new individual players who expect to see more eye candy, more than focusing on keeping older addicts like myself, supplied with gameplay enhancements.

Having said that, I haven't a clue what pays the bills for HTC, and think they do a pretty good balancing act. 

I would like to see some players get off their high horse sometime, and contribute to some fresh ideas instead of just saying NO, -1, Why, etc.  If that's all the creativity that you have, maybe you should keep your post to yourself.  (Not intended for any posts in this thread - just a general observation)

Offline tassos

• Nickel Member
      • Free Warbids Arena
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2010, 04:38:35 AM »
....still waiting in Tower for next ROCSTAR3 Mission
Living Aces High from Sep 1999 as ATZE,MrROX,and from Feb 2000 as tassos
Quit: OPEN /Google:48°58'22.40"N 10°8'15.30"E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B69CquvLHgY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMCq22Vpa18
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXsVxFycRZo
Aces High be a part...

Offline IronDog

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2010, 06:23:50 AM »
I don't enjoy the game as much as I used to.My skills are declining,amd I could live w/o a lot of the new rules,envy,can't fly what I want,when I want.Been here off and on since Beta days.Game has gotten worse with the type of people that are flying.Whole lotta ho'ing going on,and the collision model is simply wrong and leads to all of the ho'ery.How much longer am I going to hang around...I'll stick it out as long as my son hangs around.Plain and simple this sim has failed miserably to achieve what it sat out to do.The old days were much better.None of the above statement was meant to be hurtful,but it's the way I feel.Starting a new type of AH was a horrible waste of time.Then just chuck all that time involved right out the door.Give me a plane,that envy will let me fly and a 1 vs 1,and I'm happy.If I got DobeyJr with me,we will take on as many as we think we can handle!This is a flight sim,keep the flippin GV's out.If there was any kind of decent flight sim available I would give it a try.When you are #1 with no competition, a company falls into a false sense of security.If someone had the capital and the legal rights to Air Warrior,you would see a lot of the old timers leaving AH as if they were rats leaving a sinking ship!That numbskull Wild Bill has War Birds at about 30 bucks,and all Hitech had to do was half the monthly dues,and bye bye WB's!The other competition used to be from Mickysoft,and it's even worse than WB"s.Enjoy it people it's the best of the rest!The only other reason I hang on,is the 71 Squadron I belong to.Greatest group of people in this sim.Makes the game as enjoyable as possible.DadDog sez it best"I must like it,I'm still here".
Old Air Warrior
 Dobe

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2010, 07:10:39 AM »
To understand the collision model seems to be a rite of passage or something. And this is a WWII Combat Simulator, not a flight simulator.

Personally, I also feel like things have gone downhill. Not enough to where I don't enjoy playing, but enough to where I no longer spend at least three hours a day online. Then again, as a 13 year old everything was exciting (I spent months just in the TA) and it was much harder to get me agitated about acting stupid. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good griefing. Hell, I fly Il-2s as base defense so I can HO everyone in a 5mi radius and watch the whines unfold. :D But, every time I see something like a hoard who has suddenly realized they've ransacked a base and forgotten they need a goon or an armchair general that spews Channel 2 with woe, misery, and insults because we aren't fighting his war, I sink a bit further.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2010, 08:05:16 AM »
Gameplay hasn't really changed. Ohh we have a few more choices, which is always good.

But people are still going to horde, alt monkey, and cherry pick.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2010, 09:32:10 AM »
about the direction the game is going?  Am I the only old time player that misses the single arena,

The split arenas is a "necessary evil" brought on by the type of players we got. "In the old days..." the game was populated by WWII enthusiast, people who wanted that trill of dogfighting and combat without all that blood and dieing  :D The larger majority play the game as a video game, where wining the war and gaining points are the reason to play. If the arenas kept filling with WWII enthusiasts we would still have a single arena with 600-700 people in it. Unfortunately the "gamey" side of game play turn the arenas into sewers when the numbers get over 500 so we get the split arenas.

........ the fighter town?

While I suck in a furball it was a great place to just jump in and have some fun.Unfortunately it cause tension between the "win the war" type and those that were just here to have fun  :P HTC got tired of the "whining and crying" from both sides and poof! it's gone.

..... How about the massive 50+ player missions,

they are still around, but now most people run away from them instead of fighting them. You see if you fight against numbers like that one you have to have some skills or your score really gets wacked!  :rolleyes:  Too much worry about "score" and "winning the war"... before the other team does and you see three hordes all attacking "the other front" to try and steamroll bases faster than the other team.

....and the amazing maps with no arena cap? 

Again, another "necessary evil". Most of the maps are still there. One or two are out due to technical problems, and a couple due to them causing troubl in the arenas by either having a FT or just not being an even playfield. Good news is the hills are coming back so tanking may pick up a bit, mean while the sky is still blue and my planes still fly well  :D  Arena caps, well thats been gone over a million times. I see the need for bringing the population up evenly ( I know I'd be real pizzed if I logged on each night to see orange full at 500 and blue at 75)and personally I can't think of a better way to do it myself.

Personally I thought the game was 100x better seven years ago when I first started.

-BigBOBCH

I don't think the game it self has changed all that much. All the tools and playthings are still there, with a few more added in. What has changed is the player base. It WAS much better in the old days.

I know, "rose colored glasses... old fart with a beer soaked memory... yada-yada-yada", but hear me out. Aces High was fighter based when it first came out. AWIII got closed out and a good portion of that population moved here. While AW had more "capture" style game play it was still centered around combat. We didn't NOE bases, we went head to head against rival squads night after night. So as we moved into AH gone were the "macros" (considered "childishness" in the much more sophisticated AH world  :P ) but the game was the same COMBAT! GV battles lasted all day trading a single base back and forth, the same with airfields. I was MDJOE back then and part of the Mafia we had massive missions attacking multible bases at a time. Mugz would get the country in missions sometimes, but again he didn't throw a "horde" at one base, he would hit a number of them at the same time. Again, the players were all about fighting, in the air, on the ground, and at sea.

Then we got the influx of people to the gaming world on line. Playstation, WWii, and Xbox connect to the internet. People start looking for "other games" on the internet. WoW and such bring in millions of players, ALL with a gamers attitude.

In the old days we played the game as "real life" For most players it was the get away from real life, to some it was there only life  :eek: to all it was stepping into our "alter ego" for a few hours to be the hero on the front, each battle to be our last... until the next one  :t for "god and country". Today its all about score and wining the war....any way you can! I can't count the number of times heard of people asking about cheat codes, mods, hidden add-ons  :rolleyes: Like this is WoW or something. Today they don't play the game like we use to. They look for short cuts to get ahead in stead of learning how to maneuver your plane for a shot, or spawn camp instead of learning how to ambush a column... like anyone puts together a GV mission any more... The combat and strategy is slowly disappearing from the game being replaced be "the quickest easiest way we can" attitude.

Last night I was in Blue, orange capped out. Small map with the rooks getting hit from both sides. Bish had lower numbers so they weren't a huge factor, but they all were fighting at one base....ie; horde. Knights were rolling bases on the other front, ie; mega horde. So I was stuck fight horde A, fight horde B, or switch and fight WITH horde A or B  :rolleyes: I flew a pony most of the night so when the horde got too close I could ru... disengage  :D I had a few good fights, and all around it wasn't a wasted night, but I kept thinking to myself why are these guys flying in a horde like this? Why don't 10 of them get together and hit the Bish front? How much fun can it be to be one of 30-40 guys hitting the same base? I guess "being part of something" is the thrill they are running on. I don't think they realize what kind of thrill they are missing out on.

The game hasn't changed much, but the players..... well its a whole new world !

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2010, 09:43:59 AM »
In the 5 years I've been here, I didn't see general gameplay  changing much. Hordes, Ho's and guys vulching & camping for score weren't invented only recently ;)

I do, however, miss the old "Tank Towns" tremendously... I'm almost weeping each time a TT map is up and the actual TT area is used for a few base sneaks only whereas it was filled with literally a hundred players slugging it out...

But while I still love the game, I'm on the verge of quitting just because of the caps. It has a massive impact on my ability just to log on and have fun when I have the time to do so.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2010, 09:46:31 AM »
I miss resets and having to plan.  Now it's point a shoot. 

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2010, 09:47:33 AM »
I've seen a great increase in the amount of 1v10s or 10v1s in the game lately which is disappointing.

I am very happy the fuel tank destruction changes occurred a long time ago, having a single La7 shut down a field was the biggest detriment to game-play that AH has ever had.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 09:49:21 AM »
But while I still love the game, I'm on the verge of quitting just because of the caps. It has a massive impact on my ability just to log on and have fun when I have the time to do so.

I would like HTC to move the time they put the cap on arena to 10pm GMT,  5pm EST 3pm West coast.  I think the caps are necessary but it does suck for European players not being able to get into the action arena / squaddies.  

I appreciate that HTC want to do it at the 'critical mass'  of players logging in too fill up both arenas but would it not be much quicker to do it slightly later in the day.   say  300/400    then snaps to   200/200 ,  100/200  and go from there....
The Few ***
F.P.H