Author Topic: trouble killing the new M4  (Read 2167 times)

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
Re: trouble killing the new M4
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2010, 06:55:14 PM »
I skipped reading about half the thread, but I've had some serious issues fighting the M4A3(76)W. The armor surrounding the gun barrel seems nigh impenetrable. I went against one in a Tiger at 500 yards, me in a hull-down bunker, him hull-down under a ridge. Three shots in varying places on his mantlet bounced. He bounced four rounds, fifth killed my turret, seventh killed my tank. I dunno, but it seems to me the Sherman would lose the entire turret structure if hit point-blank with a Tiger's AP round.
at first i said it was gunnery error but now after fighting the M4 more often in the Tiger this seems correct to say the M4 is kinda wacked armorwise.
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2010, 08:51:04 PM »
I skipped reading about half the thread, but I've had some serious issues fighting the M4A3(76)W. The armor surrounding the gun barrel seems nigh impenetrable.
I don't know about impenetrable, but the mantlet on the Sherman is the thickest armor at 89mm vs., say, the front hull armor at 51mm.  Where I think some people get confused is that on the PzkwIV, the mantlet is only 50mm vs. the front hull at 80mm.  So, if you are accustomed to hitting the turret near the gun and getting a IV to pop, and try the same against a Sherman, you will walk away thinking the Sherman is very tough.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 17, 2010, 08:58:15 PM »
Upon a bit of research, it seems the Tiger could only penetrate the Sherman's mantlet armor at below 200m or 218 yards. That's rather astounding.
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2010, 09:02:36 PM »
For me i can't kill anyone its the other way around lol.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2010, 09:41:07 PM »
Upon a bit of research, it seems the Tiger could only penetrate the Sherman's mantlet armor at below 200m or 218 yards. That's rather astounding.
but this doesnt explain the fact i had 3 "hit" shots on a sherman 76 in my tiger in the side and it didnt die until shot 4
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 09:44:19 PM »
but this doesnt explain the fact i had 3 "hit" shots on a sherman 76 in my tiger in the side and it didnt die until shot 4
Tracks?  Wheels?  Engine hit?  No film, hard to say what you actually hit.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 09:53:42 PM »
Tracks?  Wheels?  Engine hit?  No film, hard to say what you actually hit.
engine block. not even the engine shot out
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 18, 2010, 04:02:51 PM »
That's the standard way for Hurri D's to die.
Just look at the numbers: Last tour the D killed a total of 104 Panzer IV's, but had 109 deaths by Panzer IV's. You can bet the overwhelming majority was not actively shot down by those tanks ;)

I did get shot down by a Panzer today. :lol

Came in at a steep angle and he started to ping me.  The hits threw off my aim and as I was crossing over top of him, the pinging sound turned into that horrible damage "crunching" sound.  I rolled over and went in. 
"Alright you bastage."  :mad:  I went back to exact my revenge and pushed it too far - WHAM! (trees, not George Michael)
On the third try, he hit my oil and when I finally got him,  I towered and went to a base far, far away from that guy.  :noid

"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2010, 01:56:28 AM »
My M4s all die fast,

some tard ups a jugg and drops rocks on it and it go booms  :headscratch:

froger
frogs are people too

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2010, 01:05:40 PM »
I watched someone pump 22 direct panzer hits into one yesterday before it went down.  all direct hits.

Offline Nutzoid

• Nickel Member
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2010, 01:12:50 PM »
Its too unrealistically, not to mention absurdly easy to kill tanks from gunfire alone anyway. (other then from fire from another tank, and mainly because of the ability to zoom the view) Any deviation from that is a major plus in my book.
There is an old military saying that "the best way to kill a tank is with another tank

And THAT is the way it should be. Not by flying around with zoom pulled into near microscopic view which RL pilots didnt have

There is an old military saying that "the best way to kill a tank is with another tank"

Must have been before my time. I spent almost 10 yrs in tanks, (M60's, M60A1, and M60A1 Rise Passive, M60A3)
and I never heard this. I was cheated!! :mad:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 01:17:58 PM by Nutzoid »
C co. 1st Bn 7 CAV 1st Cav Div  " Garry Owen"

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2010, 04:09:16 PM »
I watched someone pump 22 direct panzer hits into one yesterday before it went down.  all direct hits.

That someone was Xcalibur

Not by flying around with zoom pulled into near microscopic view which RL pilots didnt have

Hilariously enough, if you sit in a plane, hit the zoom key, and zoom all the way in, the game is at a 1:1 scale with real life. :)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 04:10:52 PM by OOZ662 »
A Rook who first flew 09/26/03 at the age of 13, has been a GL in 10+ Scenarios, and was two-time Points and First Annual 68KO Cup winner of the AH Extreme Air Racing League.

Offline Clone155

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2010, 04:29:12 PM »

Hilariously enough, if you sit in a plane, hit the zoom key, and zoom all the way in, the game is at a 1:1 scale with real life. :)

... Really?

Offline OOZ662

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »
Yep.

Offline whipster22

• Nickel Member
« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 05:24:03 PM »
cooooooooool
just dewbing up the bbs
baby seal