Author Topic: Anger and the game  (Read 2084 times)

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
Anger and the game
« on: May 26, 2010, 08:14:53 AM »
In replying to Rapiers' post I got to thinking about how I've dealt with anger and frustration during my time in AcesHigh. I'm sure we've all been pissed at someone or something in the game at one point. Then it dawned on me that we all have something in common...at least I think.
How many of you are like me and thrive on those negative energies to try to improve your game so you can whip the ole boy next time. I don't know about you, but I get great enjoyment from that  :lol I generally go after the last guy that shot me down as a way to get satisfaction or revenge if you will. And a lot of times it doesn't work out too well for me. And that's my cue that I have more learning to do.
I believe that we are a highly competitive crowd and losing a fight drives us to become better more then anything else. Having a pretty score and a few perk points isn't why I come back day after day. It's the thought of beating the guy that just owned me the day before that does.....well that and the Pee51. :)

Lighten up Francis

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
Re: Anger and the game
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 08:38:46 AM »
100% agreement!   :aok

But these days, I only get pissed at my own stupidity flying the 262.  Actually, my own stupidity in general.  And thus, have nobody to blame but myself.

And yes, I do enjoy finding a good stick... Knowing that I am up against a killer.  The adrenaline starts up, the SA comes online and I patiently wait for my mistake to be made and having that killer kill me.  DAM THOSE KILLERS!

See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 09:37:16 AM »
I thumped my desk the other week when my own bad SA ended a 100-0 262  kill streak.

something I haven't done for a long time, I thought I had it under control  :t
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline TnDep

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 10:29:54 AM »
it's the epic number that gets ya it's cursed
~XO Top Gun~ Retired
When you think you know it all, someone almost always proves you wrong.  Always strive to be better then who you are as a person, a believer, a husband, a father, and a friend.  May peace be in your life and God Bless - TnDep

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 10:35:12 AM »
I find that when I get very frustrated with the game, I log off for a bit and get some fresh air. Maybe do a little be of yard work to flush the frustration out. I find that when I do something productive, I feel 10 times better. Then I fly better when I get back on!  :)
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 11:00:08 AM »
"It's a cartoon game", that is what i say to my self. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline FiLtH

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 11:08:20 AM »
  I dont think Ive ever been pissed at anyone who has beaten me. Pissed at myself..many times.

~AoM~

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2010, 11:11:16 AM »
"It's a cartoon game", that is what i say to my self.  
A cartoon game it may be, but if not for the emotional high you get from fighting other players we'd all be playing offline for free instead.
  I dont think Ive ever been pissed at anyone who has beaten me. Pissed at myself..many times.
Yes! And I believe it's that anger and competitive spirit that keep us wanting more. Some will say that to get angry is a bad thing. But I think in some cases it can also be good for the game. It keeps things intense, different and challenging. 

« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 11:17:00 AM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2010, 12:39:53 PM »
The secret is controlling that anger uptown.

After all, all of us who fly here have more than enough of our own frustration and anger.
Please keep yours on your side of the monitor.

None of us get enough respect and consideration. So feel free to share all you have to give.
Besides, the respect and consideration comes back to you in good ways, many times multiplied.

The biggest single problem I see in Aces High is players who refuse to take the blame for dieing.
They'd much rather get angry at someone else, rather than accept they made a mistake someplace.

If you just died, you screwed up, period. Even if it was as simple as rolling from the wrong field at the wrong time. Accept it, look at it to see where you could have done better. Put it away, and go try again.

Everyone is going to die, no one is perfect, not even HT, and he's god!

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2010, 12:43:52 PM »
Ain't that the truth!!!  And one of the best examples of this is, the HO.....  Sure it takes two to ho, but only the dead type on 200 afterward.   

The biggest single problem I see in Aces High is players who refuse to take the blame for dieing.
They'd much rather get angry at someone else, rather than accept they made a mistake someplace.

And another good one that we've all seen is the lack of SA.  I'll be the first to admit, I've gotten mad at somebody near me when I got dead...  Yet, I always say nobody checks your six like you, yourself!
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2010, 12:44:03 PM »
In replying to Rapiers' post I got to thinking about how I've dealt with anger and frustration during my time in AcesHigh. I'm sure we've all been pissed at someone or something in the game at one point. Then it dawned on me that we all have something in common...at least I think.
How many of you are like me and thrive on those negative energies to try to improve your game so you can whip the ole boy next time. I don't know about you, but I get great enjoyment from that  :lol I generally go after the last guy that shot me down as a way to get satisfaction or revenge if you will. And a lot of times it doesn't work out too well for me. And that's my cue that I have more learning to do.
I believe that we are a highly competitive crowd and losing a fight drives us to become better more then anything else. Having a pretty score and a few perk points isn't why I come back day after day. It's the thought of beating the guy that just owned me the day before that does.....well that and the Pee51. :)

Hehe.    What about last night when I posted the B5N w/ Torpedo - Candy Mountain Mishun?   Two people bailed on it and "created a better mission", as they stated.    But to hear you, PK1, Sabby and AKAK typing and laughing, made that mishun what it was.....................simpl e Fun.  
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Aspen

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2010, 12:50:33 PM »
I fly around and shoot at red guys.  Getting angry isn't part of the game for me.  I like a good nail biter fight, but the whole game is on the + side for me.  Real life has enough stuff on the minus side to worry about to let any amount of hoing, ramming, picking, ownage, or lost fights in AH work its way in there.

Certainly anger can be harnessed and turned into something productive, but I see a bunch of folks who seem to actually let the game make them unhappy pretty consistently.   :huh
AMAX  in game

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 12:56:26 PM »
Ghosth, I'm not mad at anything at all. I do get that way, but what i'm trying to say is I like to use that energy to make a positive out of it rather then a negative. As in learning from my mistakes, look for the challenge, and improve. I think most of us are that way.
On the other hand there are those that will PM you with rants and such to release their anger. That isn't the way to do it. And those that do, do that are very rare. At least in my experience.

So yes Ghosth, controlling that anger and channeling in into something good is what I want to convey in this thread. The Fighter Aces guys may get angry or frustrated at the players and or game, but the key is to roll with the punches and learn from it. We're all competitive, but it's how you take defeat that makes all the difference.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:08:10 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 01:01:51 PM »
C'mon Aspen, you mean you don't get made at yourself now and again? Or mad at the guy that you think rams you on purpose when you have 4 or 5 kills? I bet you do, but are adult enough to keep it to yourself or your squad mates.
Lighten up Francis

Offline uptown

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2010, 01:11:50 PM »
Hehe.    What about last night when I posted the B5N w/ Torpedo - Candy Mountain Mishun?   Two people bailed on it and "created a better mission", as they stated.    But to hear you, PK1, Sabby and AKAK typing and laughing, made that mishun what it was.....................simpl e Fun.  
:rofl I was going to post the film but it's like 22 minutes long. I'd love to hear what the whirbels thought about a bunch of dorks dropping torpedoes on them. :rofl

I was hoping to see a mess to torpedoes sticking out of the ground like stumps  :lol
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 01:14:23 PM by uptown »
Lighten up Francis