Author Topic: Does the Il-2 use AP rounds?  (Read 1645 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
Does the Il-2 use AP rounds?
« on: June 02, 2010, 05:40:40 PM »
I hear that the Il-2 and hurri IID use AP rounds, and that the Yak-9T, P-39, and osti use HE rounds. If all this is true, why is it that hits to the back of a panzer at a range of 400yds all look the same? Shouldn't the Il-2 and Hurri IID produce a hit sprite like you get with the single shot cannons on the tanks, instead of a flash (I guess that this is the explotion) and a small swirl of smoke?
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Does the Il-2 use AP rounds?
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
I hear that the Il-2 and hurri IID use AP rounds, and that the Yak-9T, P-39, and osti use HE rounds. If all this is true, why is it that hits to the back of a panzer at a range of 400yds all look the same?

Because it's just a hit sprite.

If the Il-2 would shoot HE only... how could the 23mm version kill Panzer & M4's (incl Firefly) that easily, while even the 110 with the 4x20 + 2x30mm can not? How could the 37mm version and the 40mm HurriD kill every tank with a few hits, while a P-39 or a Yak-t could spend a hundred of rounds on a tiger at same angle & distance without any effect? ;)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 06:04:36 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 06:09:56 PM »
LMAO
nemisis you are persistent I'll give you that.
See Rule #4

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 06:11:46 PM »
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 06:13:52 PM »
I've been messed with too many times as a newb to blindly believe that anything I see here is the truth. Belial thought that the damage an AP round caused remained the same regardless of range, and he didn't believe me when I told him otherwise (to explain my ignorance of the Il-2, I spend very little of my time in attack aircraft), so why should I take what you say on faith?

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2010, 06:14:51 PM »
OMG he has found a windmill . . .

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,290277.0.html

Could be worst, he could be whining about the collision model. :noid :D
See Rule #4

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:17:40 PM »
I've been messed with too many times as a newb to blindly believe that anything I see here is the truth. Belial thought that the damage an AP round caused remained the same regardless of range, and he didn't believe me when I told him otherwise (to explain my ignorance of the Il-2, I spend very little of my time in attack aircraft), so why should I take what you say on faith?
Well lusche is probably one of the most informative posters here on this bb when it comes to the game (see his many posts). I just like tank plinking and like to help those who also enjoy it. ;)
See Rule #4

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 07:07:17 PM »
If you are hesitant to "blindly believe" or "take on faith" what someone says, then why 1) would you post a question where you would have to decide whicn answers to take on faith 2) would you not simply test it for yourself as suggested by one of the people you are doubting?
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2010, 08:06:15 PM »
Probably because the forums are still a lot more reliable then say 200, that and certain things aren't really that easy to test such as if the IL-2 uses AP rounds.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2010, 08:12:05 PM »
that and certain things aren't really that easy to test such as if the IL-2 uses AP rounds.

Oh, this particular case isn't that difficult. You have two planes with the same cannon, but different ammo. The Il-2 /37mm and the Yak-9t. The offline Tiger is waiting (but dont forget to change ammo multiplier to 10 in arena settings ;).
Blow 5 or so Tigers up with the IL, then do the same with the Yak...

And you can always double check that with the various books and web info on those planes & waepons, and particularly armor penetration data & such.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2010, 08:17:58 PM »
which I have done lusche. Checked the penetration tables, and sure enough, said it could pierce 50-something mm of armor at 500yds.

Offline AirFlyer

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2010, 08:57:12 PM »
Oh, this particular case isn't that difficult. You have two planes with the same cannon, but different ammo. The Il-2 /37mm and the Yak-9t. The offline Tiger is waiting (but dont forget to change ammo multiplier to 10 in arena settings ;).
Blow 5 or so Tigers up with the IL, then do the same with the Yak...

And you can always double check that with the various books and web info on those planes & waepons, and particularly armor penetration data & such.

I can agree with checking various online/book sources but even guns of the same caliber can have large difference in muzzle velocity / armor penetration and I'm not sure if I would trust testing in such a way. Unless of course they are the same gun but I'm not familiar with Russian weaponry.
Tours: Airflyer to 69 - 77 | Dustin57 92 - 100 | Spinnich 100 - ?
"You'll always get exactly what you deserve." Neil

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2010, 09:01:48 PM »
There is an "easy" way to test this.

Offline, roll a yak9t (37mm with HE) taxi up to a ord bunker. Count how many rounds it takes to blow up the bunker.

Roll an iL2 (37mm with AP) taxi up to an ord bunker, count how many rounds it takes to blow up the bunker.

Note, can be point blank range, doesn't matter.

HE will do it in 2 or 3 shots.
AP will take dozen or more. (Because all AP has is kinetic energy, good for penetrating armor, poor for blowing stuff up)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
Offline, roll a yak9t (37mm with HE) taxi up to a ord bunker. Count how many rounds it takes to blow up the bunker.

Roll an iL2 (37mm with AP) taxi up to an ord bunker, count how many rounds it takes to blow up the bunker.

Both guns have the same damagin capability vs objects. I once tested them vs hangar, took me ~160 rounds in both planes.
Does that automatically  mean the have the same properties vs tanks?  ;)

Of course you could expect that, but you only get clarity if you actually test it against tough armored target, as the offline Tiger is.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 09:37:52 PM by Lusche »

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2010, 12:19:17 AM »
So.... the 40mm from the Hurricane IID is HE or AP?  Either way, I have more success with it than the IL-2.  I'm more patient with the Hurri IID, I take longer lanes of flight, only fire 2-3 volleys within 400 yards (convergence is set to 300).

I avoid FLAK like the plague, though.  In an IL-2, I'll at least try to ping the turret from way out in left field.
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.