Author Topic: pedals  (Read 2495 times)

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
pedals
« on: June 22, 2010, 01:10:21 PM »
I've been playing with a logitec joystick, a keyboard, and a headset since I started. I've heard a lot of people talk about rudder pedals, and I was wondering if they help all that much (I haven't noticed a real difference when using rudder in combat, and when omiting it).

And if they are worth the buy, whats a good brand?
All man needs to be happy is a home, his wife, and a place in the world

Col. 49Nem, Armor commander of the 49th

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
Re: pedals
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 01:13:11 PM »
There are only a handful of options.

Yes, they help. A lot. But first they hurt. A lot. You have to relearn how to fly and fight with them but after that point you won't go back.

Offline allaire

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 01:51:30 PM »
It also depends on what your build is like.  Some pedals can give you pedalnuts rather quickly.
"I drank what?" -Socrates

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 02:39:52 PM »
about average.

And Krusty, how do you mean that it will hurt at first?

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 02:55:21 PM »
about average.

And Krusty, how do you mean that it will hurt at first?

if ya used a twisty stick, it is very different switching over to peddles, you will routinely hit the wrong peddle, input too much or not enough

I used the twisty stick for about 3 years  and when I went to rudder peddles it took about a solid month to be able to fly with out using them wrong.

seriously though I will never go back to twisty, due to the fact with a twisty you always input a small amount when you don't want to, with the peddles that is gone.

and the CH fighter stick is so awesome, it dont have a "twisty" so I need the peddles.

Offline Nemisis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Fightin 49'ers
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
I've always used my keyboard for everything but roll, pitch, firing, dive breaks, and combat trim.

Its served me well, but it would be nice not to have to take my hand off the stick or fly with my right one so often.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2010, 03:06:56 PM »
I've always used my keyboard for everything but roll, pitch, firing, dive breaks, and combat trim.

Its served me well, but it would be nice not to have to take my hand off the stick or fly with my right one so often.

peddles will do ya good :aok

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2010, 04:31:39 PM »

No wonder you spend all that time in the GVs. I would too if I couldn't use rudders while flying.

I have CH pedals and they are great. Saitek has a set as well as a couple of over sea brands. Most have the foot rest spread apart about 18 inches from center of your heel to center of heel. The CH on the other hand is closer to 8 inches apart. Im 6'1 and over 260....don't tell my wife!... and have no troubles using the CH pedals.

Learning to use rudders will give you a big leap in the fun of flying fighters.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2010, 04:35:19 PM »
Every plane I dove on to attack for about 3 months straight, I rammed, when I started learning to fly with rudder pedals.

That's why I said it will hurt. You have to learn. In that time, you'll feel frustration.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2010, 04:42:01 PM »
No wonder you spend all that time in the GVs. I would too if I couldn't use rudders while flying.

Rudder pedals are great in Gvs too. I can eat my lunch and still drive a M3, using the pedals to steer from the gunner's position :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2010, 05:04:29 PM »
I've never understood why people have a hard time transitioning from a twisty stick to foot pedals.  I remember when I made the switch to from a MS Sidewinder twisty to a CH HOTAS with Pro Pedals and there wasn't any "re-learing to fly or dogfight" involved.  It wasn't a night and day type of thing, what was night and day for me was getting used to all the new buttons and a seperate throttle but not the pedals.  Maybe it was because I was already used to the pedals because of where I worked at the time.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2010, 05:21:17 PM »
For some reason I had it in my mind that peddles would work the other way around from what they do i.e. to yaw left you would push the right peddle. Took a lot on gnashing of teeth 'unlearning' that  :mad:

For me, peddles are a much more important 'upgrade' than TrackIR.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:26 PM »
Akak not all of us were born as awesome as you are.  And most of us never will be, so I guess that's why you will never understand us dweebs.

Semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2010, 06:28:34 PM »
I've never understood why people have a hard time transitioning from a twisty stick to foot pedals.  I remember when I made the switch to from a MS Sidewinder twisty to a CH HOTAS with Pro Pedals and there wasn't any "re-learing to fly or dogfight" involved.  It wasn't a night and day type of thing, what was night and day for me was getting used to all the new buttons and a seperate throttle but not the pedals.  Maybe it was because I was already used to the pedals because of where I worked at the time.

ack-ack

seems to me you answered your own question :uhoh

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2010, 08:38:38 PM »
Akak not all of us were born as awesome as you are. 

Semp

Yeah, it's a shame. 

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song