Author Topic: I SAY....PERK THE BIG BOMBERS!  (Read 4811 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: I SAY....PERK THE BIG BOMBERS!
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2010, 06:26:48 PM »
I have said this for YEARS!!!!

In all honesty the best strat system I have seen in place in a game like this was the one used in FA2-FA3 where you had factories in the rear supplying train loads of material to the different bases. Sure when hammered a base it automatically sent a request to the rear for resupply and then you had a whole other host of targets to go after. Like trains bringing supplies to the fields. We have convoys but you can't see them on the moving on the map and you can't see the roads that they use on the maps either so you don't have a way to hunt them down. With a train in FA they shot back at you and made it VERY interesting.

Sounds like FA pretty much ripped off AW's strat system.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2010, 06:45:14 PM »
I learned to bomb with the old method. Still wish (after six years of easy-mode) we had it back.

:aok
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2010, 10:31:03 PM »
all i know is i grow tired of having an epic CV vs Base Battle ruined by some dweeb who sinks the boat with a formation of sub 10k heavy bombers/AR234's.

Offline Tarstar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
all i know is i grow tired of having an epic CV vs Base Battle ruined by some dweeb who sinks the boat with a formation of sub 10k heavy bombers/AR234's.

Wahh.. Practice your 5 inch..  :bolt: 234's are perked..

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2010, 11:39:54 PM »
I learned to bomb with the old method. Still wish (after six years of easy-mode) we had it back.

I enjoyed bombing with the old method way back in 1999. It made you actually do something instead of just launch, bomb, bail repeat!
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 11:40:54 PM »

Then don't park the CV 2 miles off shore and expect it to survive!
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"

Offline THRASH99

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 01:57:40 AM »
-10,000.......Lets just perk everything, bombs, bullets, troops, gas, tires, tracks, radar time........ :x
LOL  :rofl, 100 perks for 5 minutes of gas!!!!!  1 million for troops!!!  :lol

Jokers Jokers
"CAN'T TALK NOW.....GOTTA SHOOT!" - Dan Zoernig
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - 56th FG

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 03:31:20 PM »
Then don't park the CV 2 miles off shore and expect it to survive!
geographic location has nothing to do with the cheese that is low level heavy bombers being so effective vs. a carrier strike force in this game.

Offline SmokinLoon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2010, 06:34:29 PM »
with the amount of destruction those bombers can take to the enemy, I am surprised the ENY isnt lower and/or there isnt a minor perk price put on the heavy bombers.  The Lancs, B24's, and B17's all offer awesome amounts of ordnance, especially while in flights.  Yes, the Ju88's can carry more ord than the B17, but it is hardly worth mentioning and the only real useful ordnance is the 4/500kg bombs or dual torpedoes.  The 20/50kg bombs are best used to carpet bomb and tickle a few ground targets.  Also, the Ju88 is slower, climbs like grandma on a ladder, and has defensive armament hardly worth mentioning.  I'll keep the "big 3" as they are.

I'll offer a 4 perk point cost per Lanc, 3 per B24, and 2 per B17.  If the weak (but very fast) Ar234 can garner a cost of 60, then these three big boys deserve something for their massive amounts of ords.   
Proud grandson of the late Lt. Col. Darrell M. "Bud" Gray, USAF (ret.), B24D pilot, 5th BG/72nd BS. 28 combat missions within the "slot", PTO.

Offline BrownBaron

• Silver Member
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2010, 07:11:00 PM »
I have said this for YEARS!!!!

In all honesty the best strat system I have seen in place in a game like this was the one used in FA2-FA3 where you had factories in the rear supplying train loads of material to the different bases. Sure when hammered a base it automatically sent a request to the rear for resupply and then you had a whole other host of targets to go after. Like trains bringing supplies to the fields. We have convoys but you can't see them on the moving on the map and you can't see the roads that they use on the maps either so you don't have a way to hunt them down. With a train in FA they shot back at you and made it VERY interesting.

Oh and RTHolmes hit the nail on the head with his comparison. Doing some sort of bomber perk for the big boys allows the newbie to cut his teeth on the medium bombers which are great WHEN they get used.

Honestly, If I didn't know better, I'd think you were talking about the AH strat system.
O Jagdgeschwader 77

Ingame ID: Johannes

Offline 321BAR

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: June 25, 2010, 07:28:44 PM »
geographic location has nothing to do with the cheese that is low level heavy bombers being so effective vs. a carrier strike force in this game.
yeah. get below 10k and see how long that bomber group lasts :aok

and reschke is right. these CVs arent meant for base dueling. They are utilized best out to sea at 15 to 20 miles. Use a mission sortie to hit the field and do not supply the enemy with a radar stream TO the CV where they can see where you upped from. there you go. you got the best CV tactic of the game in the length of 3 sentences. you need more info on how to CV?
I am in need of a new epic quote
Happy Jack's Go Buggy

Offline KingRat

• Zinc Member
« Reply #56 on: June 25, 2010, 07:45:09 PM »
Perking planes because you feel they're misused is not a good solution in my opinion.  Lots of planes and vehicles are used in ways that would never have happened in the war, not just 4-engine bombers.  They are strategic bombers that are in a game with very few strategic reasons to fly them so they're used in a tactical way most of the time.  Not the bomber guy's fault-- he's got to bomb something, so hangars, towns and gv's are it.  

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: June 25, 2010, 07:59:50 PM »
with the amount of destruction those bombers can take to the enemy, I am surprised the ENY isnt lower and/or there isnt a minor perk price put on the heavy bombers.  The Lancs, B24's, and B17's all offer awesome amounts of ordnance, especially while in flights.  Yes, the Ju88's can carry more ord than the B17, but it is hardly worth mentioning and the only real useful ordnance is the 4/500kg bombs or dual torpedoes.  The 20/50kg bombs are best used to carpet bomb and tickle a few ground targets.  Also, the Ju88 is slower, climbs like grandma on a ladder, and has defensive armament hardly worth mentioning.  I'll keep the "big 3" as they are.

I'll offer a 4 perk point cost per Lanc, 3 per B24, and 2 per B17.  If the weak (but very fast) Ar234 can garner a cost of 60, then these three big boys deserve something for their massive amounts of ords.   

yup thats my take on it. of course it would make more sense if we had more medium bombers to fill the non-perked gap - He111, Do17, Wellington, errr ... some italian, russian and japanese stuff (I'm clueless on these).
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 25, 2010, 08:12:12 PM »
yup thats my take on it. of course it would make more sense if we had more medium bombers to fill the non-perked gap - He111, Do17, Wellington,

so the only free bombers are very slow and underarmed early war machines... that's akin to perking every fighter beyond a P-40B  or 109E4 in the LW arena.  :lol

Well fine for me if you keep fair and perk the fighters too. :)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: June 25, 2010, 09:42:06 PM »
well the tiger is perked and thats a MW tank, and as we know perk has more to do with gameplay balance than performance, dates, production numbers etc etc. besides the Ki-67 and Bostons are hardly sluggish performers, although they dont carry 14,000lb of ords.

I wonder what % of damage/sorties etc is done by the 3 heavies (esp the lanc) vs the medium bombers? ;)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli