Author Topic: Fighter Score system  (Read 9082 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: Fighter Score system
« Reply #165 on: July 17, 2010, 01:01:22 AM »
Ease up Semp. Levi earned and deserves his rep.
was levi the guy that flew spit5s exclusively and turned his spit into a great black hole that sucked in all nearby fighters?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #166 on: July 17, 2010, 01:46:31 AM »
Vulching is like fishing with dynamite, effective but so easy it is boring. However upping from a vulched field is a known risk to all those who do it and they only have themselves to blame if (when) they become another statistic. Moaning about it is dumb, just up from an adjacent field and come in with alt.

A score system should reward what is difficult and penalize what is easy if it is to mean anything at all. That is why I like the idea of biasing score according to the numbers of friendlies and enemies in range at the time of the kill. You can still swarm a field and get a few vulch kills but it won't mean much score wise. But if a vulchee gets a kill on one of the horde they will get rewarded. In time, the score-obsessed will seek out more even fights to keep their scores high and the furball seekers will be therefore more likely to find a more even fight. Currently the MA tends to degenerate into one or two huge vulchfests, everyone seeks safety in numbers.

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #167 on: July 17, 2010, 02:19:34 AM »
The very first time I played any online game was with Warbirds.  I still remember the very first time I logged into the arena online with about 100 other people.  I was trying to get my engine started but every damned time I spawned on the runway I was immediately killed.  I recall looking out my views and seeing all the planes doing circles over my head.  I was trying to up in the middle of a giant vulchfest. This feat of dying OTR happened at least twenty two times, TWENTY TWO TIMES, before I finally had the thought of going to a place "less busy".  That was my first experience in WBs.  I recall it fondly :)
LOL the first time I played AW I was vulched by some guy in a 51 many times while I was trying to figure out how to take off. The name of that person which I don't remember anymore was etched in my mind at that time. A couple months or few months later I shot down the person that had so much fun vulching me. Felt rewarding at the time.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: July 17, 2010, 04:54:53 AM »
Vulching is like fishing with dynamite, effective but so easy it is boring. However upping from a vulched field is a known risk to all those who do it and they only have themselves to blame if (when) they become another statistic. Moaning about it is dumb, just up from an adjacent field and come in with alt.

A score system should reward what is difficult and penalize what is easy if it is to mean anything at all. That is why I like the idea of biasing score according to the numbers of friendlies and enemies in range at the time of the kill. You can still swarm a field and get a few vulch kills but it won't mean much score wise. But if a vulchee gets a kill on one of the horde they will get rewarded. In time, the score-obsessed will seek out more even fights to keep their scores high and the furball seekers will be therefore more likely to find a more even fight. Currently the MA tends to degenerate into one or two huge vulchfests, everyone seeks safety in numbers.

this is by far the best idea of all that I have read to improve AH :aok

Offline Crash Orange

• Silver Member
« Reply #169 on: July 17, 2010, 05:20:44 AM »
vulching is the lamest activity one can do in AH.

Oh, come on, it is FAR from the lamest activity. Vulching is (a) not dishonest, (b) easily avoidable by the other guy, and (c) sometimes serves a legitimate purpose.

Offhand I'd say killing shades is the lamest, followed by moving CVs to a convenient spot and taking control so no one can turn them while your friends bomb them. I'm sure there must be a good dozen other things lamer than vulching.

Now vulching and then thinking it makes you a good pilot is lame, but I don't think anyone here is saying that. It goes on your score, sure, but so do all those even lamer dishonest things. There's no way for score to be a perfect reflection of skill. There's always going to be some way to game the game if you really want to.

I get vulched a lot trying to defend fields, but I don't complain about it. If you don't want to get vulched, up somewhere else. The up side is that even if you get vulched two or three times before finally staying up, you're getting back in action a lot faster than flying in from 20 miles away, and if the enemies are flying in from that far away too, you'll eventually win the battle of attrition and get the fight back to a more even basis. You just need to be able to judge when you might get up and/or kill an attacker after a few tries and when it's truly hopeless. OTOH, you're padding the vulchers' scores. But then we're back to: who cares about score? You and they both know they didn't really beat you fighting.

And if they're just vulching and not trying to take the base, why even consider upping there? Go somewhere else and they'll get bored and have to go find a real fight.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #170 on: July 17, 2010, 08:55:31 AM »
I don't mind guys vulching any more than I minded Noe attacks on "undefended" bases.

Although IMO vulchers are avoiding fights just as much as the Noe guys were.

And I don't think they should be awarded any type of score in "fighter" category.

They aren't really fighting anything.

Score vulches in attack mode only.

No one is "punished", they simply have to up in attack mode before going off to "attack" things on the ground.

"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #171 on: July 17, 2010, 10:28:57 AM »
Vulching is the equivalent of slapping someone who cant slap back.  Its like a squeakslap where the person being vulched is being forced into the doggie position.  It can be very satisfying to be on top.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
« Reply #172 on: July 17, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »
was levi the guy that flew spit5s exclusively and turned his spit into a great black hole that sucked in all nearby fighters?

I flew Typhoons and Tempests too.  :)

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: July 17, 2010, 02:36:11 PM »
Oh, come on, it is FAR from the lamest activity. Vulching is (a) not dishonest, (b) easily avoidable by the other guy, and (c) sometimes serves a legitimate purpose.

Offhand I'd say killing shades is the lamest, followed by moving CVs to a convenient spot and taking control so no one can turn them while your friends bomb them. I'm sure there must be a good dozen other things lamer than vulching.

Now vulching and then thinking it makes you a good pilot is lame, but I don't think anyone here is saying that. It goes on your score, sure, but so do all those even lamer dishonest things. There's no way for score to be a perfect reflection of skill. There's always going to be some way to game the game if you really want to.

I get vulched a lot trying to defend fields, but I don't complain about it. If you don't want to get vulched, up somewhere else. The up side is that even if you get vulched two or three times before finally staying up, you're getting back in action a lot faster than flying in from 20 miles away, and if the enemies are flying in from that far away too, you'll eventually win the battle of attrition and get the fight back to a more even basis. You just need to be able to judge when you might get up and/or kill an attacker after a few tries and when it's truly hopeless. OTOH, you're padding the vulchers' scores. But then we're back to: who cares about score? You and they both know they didn't really beat you fighting.

And if they're just vulching and not trying to take the base, why even consider upping there? Go somewhere else and they'll get bored and have to go find a real fight.

I do stand corrected, you are right, I did not think about that other "lame" stuff, killing shade accounts and what not...ya that is pretty damn lame and worse then vulching.

I flew Typhoons and Tempests too.  :)

You should put away that WoW, and come back to AH it's been said you are/were one of the greatest, so get back in here so I can slap that spit 5 around :banana: :banana: :banana:

seriously  What would you say you were better at Targeting or ACM?
my guess is your gonna say targeting, this is what I need to work on, hence I need someone worthy to shoot down :D

so get back in here :salute
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 02:41:58 PM by ink »