Author Topic: Phil Hendrie  (Read 467 times)

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
Phil Hendrie
« on: July 16, 2010, 05:00:09 PM »
Just wondering if there are any Phil Hendrie fans here...

I've been listening to him since he started his shtick in miami at WIOD...and was hip to what he does when I got a chance to see him do it a few times there.

Over the years he's had a show...quit..and come back a few times..and while many people are hip to his shtick........I've noticed these last few months that he's doing some of his best stuff ever.  his "guests" are indeed...comedy gold.

some of his "guests" lately:

1)  A devout Muslim who is in favor of building the mosque at the 911 site, because muslims cannot possibly accept the statue of liberty as a comforting thing.....because it's a female...and she should wear a face cover...

2)  A yachtsman who hoped the 16 year old girl sailor lost at sea would vanish, so he could get all the publicity during his upcoming round the world sail....rather than her...

3)  A teacher who rewarded his male students with beer and pron movies...

if you guys have not listened to his show in a while....you should try and tune him in.  he's hot lately........and he's live from 1am to 4am est...in almost every am market station across the county.

dood is a certified comedy genius.

rare behind the scenes:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Fe5kC6h50
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 05:09:48 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Re: Phil Hendrie
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 07:20:00 PM »
Sounds like a Howard Stern wannabe or even a paler version of Bubba The Lovesponge... BUBBA ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Rondar

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 07:35:46 PM »
For the life of me, I cannot fathom endorsing this guy.  He sounds like he would be everything I would be against.   :mad:
To understand true love, lock your dog and your wife in the trunk of your car for an hour and then see which one is glad to see you when you come back

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 09:12:10 PM »
Listened to him Years ago..Very talented man....Love listening to him fool callers.

Kam

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 09:16:55 PM »
Sounds like a Howard Stern wannabe or even a paler version of Bubba The Lovesponge... BUBBA ARMY!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guy is way more talented than Howard Stern...Not as popular, but more talented for sure.

Kam

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 09:24:01 PM »
For the life of me, I cannot fathom endorsing this guy.  He sounds like he would be everything I would be against.   :mad:

if that's how you feel........you need to catch one of his shows........and undersand wha't going on.  it radio theater...at an exceptionally high level...even though you may not realize it at first.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:38:58 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2010, 06:18:15 PM »

As someone who did medium and top 25 market radio for 26 years I can help you a bit with this.

Bubba The Love Sponge (met him at the 1999 Morning Show Convention in New Orleans) very much follows in Howards footsteps.  Phil is a totally different animal.  Phil is a syndicated guy who is not a "morning show".  He used to be syndicated in the evening hours US zones but now has his late night nitch who don't follow the UFO Bell style show knock-offs.

Phil makes use of his HUGE range of accents as well as synthesizers to make it appear as if he's interviewing someone when in reality, he's interviewing himself using different accents, dialects, and some electronic wizardry.  He writes his own suff and pre-cans the "interviewee" in most occasions.  Sometimes all the "interview" is pre-canned and only when people call does he slip into the accent side.

Half of his audience realizes it's all a fake and eggs on the other half who are absolutely clueless.

So when it's time for callers--you obviously have the angry callers who don't get the fact they are being conned (and most times never do) with the ones who "get it" and call to agree with the "interviewee" who is egging on all the daft callers.  It's great radio theater.  It's also pretty easy radio to do if you have the talent for multiple voices.

ROX

Offline Boxman

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Yes, RC Collins is my favorite character......here's a great one...(WW2 related)

http://www.newphilhendrieshow.com/flashback/2009/12/the-phil-hendrie-show-flashback-for-december-7-2009/

you'll need to scroll down and hit the play button next to the little speaker.

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2010, 07:13:34 PM »
I used to listen to him on KFI am 640 in southern california.  He is amazing.  Some of his old characters were Chris Norton; Pastor William Renick, Bobby Dooley. Just an amazing talent. 

It is too bad he is not here anymore.  Where could I listen to him from?
* I am the embodiment of Rule #14
* History is only recent.
* Stick and Stones won't break my bones, but names could "hurt" me.

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2010, 07:15:49 PM »
I used to listen to him on KFI am 640 in southern california.  He is amazing.  Some of his old characters were Chris Norton; Pastor William Renick, Bobby Dooley. Just an amazing talent. 

It is too bad he is not here anymore.  Where could I listen to him from?

CO Screaming Eagles

Offline ROX

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 07:25:02 PM »
raider:  You might luck out and be able to catch him on some radio stations that air him web sites that either stram live or with a delay.  He might also have a personal website with streaming audio, but I haven't researched that.

Syndie shows come and go on talkradio--it's part of the biz.

Some radio stations don't stream anymore and you can pretty much blame Clear Channel.  They were too lazy at first to swap out commercial breaks with local/regional/national spots that had ASCAP/BMI music on them and the artists biotched RE: royalty rights and sued.  Thanks a lot Clear Channel.  Now many local stations don't simul-blast on the internet anymore and those that do are so paranoid that it's either heavily edited with time delay or only limited to locally produced shows.  Thanks mega-owner radio!

ROX

Offline ZetaNine

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
Rox is correct.......

Raider...I may have lucked out and found a station out of fresno for ya raider.......and apparently they webcast.

M-F

http://www.fresnostruth.com/

if not......he's on KTLA on terrestrial radio.  enjoy!!

(and Bobby Dooley is on at least once per week.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 10:56:05 PM by ZetaNine »

Offline SEraider

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 02:05:53 PM »
Rox is correct.......

Raider...I may have lucked out and found a station out of fresno for ya raider.......and apparently they webcast.

M-F

http://www.fresnostruth.com/

if not......he's on KTLA on terrestrial radio.  enjoy!!

(and Bobby Dooley is on at least once per week.)

That is terrific news!!  Thank you.  :aok

CO Screaming Eagles