Author Topic: Squelch Feature  (Read 1694 times)

Offline maddafinga

• Silver Member
      • The Musketeers Squadron
Re: Squelch Feature
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2010, 07:17:13 PM »
The squelch me if you don't like it comment may well have been me.  I was discussing planes and tactics with one or two other guys and someone piped in saying that we should get a private channel.  I said we're having a legitimate game conversation, discussing planes in the game and their performance vs one another, and tactics to use against them in various planes, not real life or world stuff at all.  So my response was that if you don't it, squelch me.  I'm the first one to complain about people talking politics on 200, because I hate that passionately, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be told I can't discuss game stuff on the public channel in the game.  So I'll say again, if you don't like that, squelch me, but I'm sure not going to stop discussing the game I'm playing with other players.  That's one of the reasons I play, and a great resource for learning. 
madda
The Musketeers Squadron
http://www.musketeers.org/
When the Dude is recognized in the World, Undudeness is seen everywhere... Dude De Ching
http://dudeism.com/tao/

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2010, 08:09:01 PM »
Perma Squelch will never happen.   

Perhaps, but it would be nice in my opinion :-)

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2010, 08:17:24 PM »
The squelch me if you don't like it comment may well have been me.  I was discussing planes and tactics with one or two other guys and someone piped in saying that we should get a private channel.  I said we're having a legitimate game conversation, discussing planes in the game and their performance vs one another, and tactics to use against them in various planes, not real life or world stuff at all.  So my response was that if you don't it, squelch me.  I'm the first one to complain about people talking politics on 200, because I hate that passionately, but I'll be damned if I'm going to be told I can't discuss game stuff on the public channel in the game.  So I'll say again, if you don't like that, squelch me, but I'm sure not going to stop discussing the game I'm playing with other players.  That's one of the reasons I play, and a great resource for learning. 

It wasn't any specific person.  It is a statement made many times every night like a broken record.  I just want an easy button that saves me time when I log in as a preemptive strike. :-)

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2010, 08:42:29 PM »
I myself have the ability to read the text buffer and ignore it if it has nothing to do with me.  I do not feel compelled to answer someone if they feel the need to try to goad me into a verbal fight.  I get a good laugh at much of what's typed, when I bother to read it at all. 

I do, however, feel the need to play by the Rules set forth by those who let me play in their sandbox.  So, while I see much in the buffer that should be best left unwritten, I have no problem just letting it drift out of view unless it is particularly offensive, derrogatory to others or has to do with taboo subjects like politics or religion.

I can see your point about wanting a perma-squelch blacklist; but in reality, if there are that many you wish to squelch perhaps a worldwide multiplayer game isn't for you.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Money

• Copper Member
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2010, 09:05:28 PM »

I can see your point about wanting a perma-squelch blacklist; but in reality, if there are that many you wish to squelch perhaps a worldwide multiplayer game isn't for you.

A simple request for a perma squelch means the game might not be right for me?  Big leap.  The basic feature is there, just suggesting what I feel would make it a few steps easier for all.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2010, 09:18:27 PM »
A simple request for a perma squelch means the game might not be right for me?  Big leap.  The basic feature is there, just suggesting what I feel would make it a few steps easier for all.

:airplane: Wow!! easier? I find the squelch command pretty easy if I want to use it.  :joystick:
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2010, 09:20:10 PM »
The only thing I don't like about squelch is that when I really want it, I've usually got my hands on the controls and can't type.  Can we make it voice activated?  :aok
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline katanaso

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2010, 09:31:32 PM »
The only thing I don't like about squelch is that when I really want it, I've usually got my hands on the controls and can't type.  Can we make it voice activated?  :aok

You realize how many people would try that on their wives after getting used to doing it in the game?   :rofl

mir

mir
80th FS "Headhunters"

The most terrifying words in the English language are: "I'm from the government and I'm here to help."

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2010, 11:49:28 PM »
Wouldn't it be easy enough to write a macro or script for your own controller and just press a button combination every time you logged in?

OK, can someone give me directions on how to do that with an ST-290?
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline froger

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2010, 01:35:07 AM »
NO 200....

never will.

just not healthy,......not at all.

froger
frogs are people too

Offline Ghosth

• AH Training Corps (retired)
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://332nd.org
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2010, 07:00:29 AM »
Tec its called "autohotkey"

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2010, 08:03:33 AM »
Tec its called "autohotkey"

Cool thanks. Don't know that that's gonna totally cure my squelch list blues, but it may help.  Of course I'll probably activate it in flight and end up bailing out. :lol
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2010, 10:31:51 AM »
Skuzzy, for once I disagree with you. I do want the perm-squelch feature, but only for a couple of players (see below) so I've added it to a macro I use as soon as I log in the game. I do not use this macro when I enter the TA, however.

The first player does nothing but spam the text channels with meaningless drivel while parking his butt in a 5 inch gun all day. (minor I know, but he just irritates me)

The second player is so far gone and he has done so many tirades in AH itself and on the forums, in fact he has been banned from the AH forums. I understand his interest in history and German aircraft, but he does not need to spam '88' on open channels (do a search on 88, its skin head code for Heil Hitler).
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2010, 11:28:14 AM »
So you have a squelch list and the guy that was squelched changes his game ID.  Ta-da.  Then the newbie comes along that likes that old game ID (not knowing a thing about the history of it) and grabs it, but no one will talk to him.  Awwwww, poor newbie.  With no one to talk to, he cancels his account thinking everyone in the game is a snobby numpty.

Gee, that sounds like fun.

This sounds like a stretch.  Aside from a polarizing id name like Voss, I can't imagine a situation where a player will have been perma banned by the entire arena and then an unwitting newb takes that id in some futuristic era of AH and is permasquelched by the same playerbase that had squelched the former player years ago?  Sorry Skuzzy, that is as unlikely as hitting the lottery jackpot.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2010, 11:37:24 AM »
You would be surprised how many times a new player enters the arena, using an old ID from someone else, and then calls/emails me complaining about being treated like a scum bag.  It is the leading reason why so many people complain about the community being unfriendly.

I usually change thier ID so they can get a fresh start and all is happy with the world.

Of course there are those who just quit and go to another game and really complain about how this community is full of players who revel in hatred.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:39:05 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com