Author Topic: Miles Sound System  (Read 1805 times)

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
Miles Sound System
« on: August 05, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »
First this is not intended to be a whine, but a serious question. Can anyone explain how the new sound system is an improvement over what we had in the past? I've noticed that since the change my stereo headphones don't seem as sensitive as they once where.  Harder to distinguish left and right unless there is a large difference.
I'm sure it is a better system or the change wouldn't have been made. I was just curious as to what the difference was.
thanks
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Re: Miles Sound System
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 02:42:51 PM »
+1, the doppler effect is hard for me to hear left and right in regards to the engine shounds.
Strokes

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 02:46:34 PM »
I honestly cant tell much of a difference.
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 02:52:27 PM »
I've been using headphones for years and distance seems a lil funky now.  I'm going to hook the surround sound up this evening and see if that's any better.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 03:31:32 PM »
Like anything else, once you get used to something being presented one way, having it presented a different way is going to throw you off a bit.

What you hear with the miles system is going to depend on your system, just like the differences in the graphics. If you're using a USB headset, you may not hear the same sounds as someone using a Soundblaster or Realtek audio chip...and vice versa.

The miles system is going to allow more flexibility with the quality and quantity of sounds within the game.

I use an onboard hi def audio chip, and the only thing that is out of whack for me is external plane engines...they sound like bees when they go by, some are higher pitched than others.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »
I've got a 5.1 set of headphones.  I find directionality is better in my case, though I've seen many reports to the contrary.

Badhorse- I believe HTC stated the advantage to this system is it will allow more sounds to be played at once, a capability they're looking at using in the future.

I also get the 'bees' sound type that Gyrene mentioned, it seems to me to be an attempt at the doppler effect, and I just took that as 'Ok, that's how it is now.'  Not sure if it's intended or not.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 03:57:38 PM »
Research

Miles Sound System

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 04:13:37 PM »
I don't care what they do... I got my volume controls back. :D
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline 715

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 04:39:09 PM »
On my system, Realtek MB sound + headphones, the new sound is slightly worse than before.  Directional imaging is not great; maybe it would be better if I had a surround system.  Also, volume control is too quantized.  Example: instead of fading in from zero, the sound of planes approaching will just suddenly become audible.  Or, if you are in the tower external view and there is a GV approaching the base and you spin around using the position keys the GV will be either definitely audible or suddenly silent depending on whether you swing to a shorter or longer range.  On my system even the volume sliders are very quantized.  It's kinda like it uses a single 8 bit volume setting which is coarse near the low end??  I had to turn the Windows volume and AH master volume up full and turn the mechanical volume control on my headset down to minimum to try to get a little smoother control.

Offline Digr1

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 05:31:31 PM »
It sounded a little off to me too at first, then I noticed the boxes for the setting for HEADSET . Once I clicked all the settings to that it sounded like it always did loud and clear

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2010, 06:32:47 PM »
I am completely dissatisfied with this change. Ive tried both On board and separate sound cards. There is a drop in quality. example: I am flying at 300 knots and a friendly or enemy plane are 1.5k out. I dont hear the engine but I hear their guns firing clearly. This system IS messed up and Im not going to POST every example of the problems with it. WE are paying for a service and THIS service has gone down hill. Sound used to be pleasurable Now its Horrible.

KAM

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2010, 07:00:40 PM »
On mine, the VOX sounds really tinny like when it was first put out for testing, though not as much, but no where near the VOX quality of the original system.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline kamori

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2010, 07:25:00 PM »
On mine, the VOX sounds really tinny like when it was first put out for testing, though not as much, but no where near the VOX quality of the original system.

SAme here Ranger...Plus the tinny engine sounds...especially the p-51 in a dive...I die laughing when it comes in..Kind of a joke sounding ..... It needs fixing and as usual. HTC hasent let us know there is a prob  we just have to endure and HOPE they are doing something about it.

Bummer but Par for the course...

KAM

Offline badhorse

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2010, 07:37:37 PM »

The miles system is going to allow more flexibility with the quality and quantity of sounds within the game.

I guess in time we will find out about the quantity but I think as far as quality goes the old system was better.
Always try and be the person your dog thinks you are.

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2010, 08:04:46 PM »
It needs fixing and as usual. HTC hasent let us know there is a prob  we just have to endure and HOPE they are doing something about it.

Bummer but Par for the course...

KAM

It would seem to me that its up to the players to let HTC know if there is a problem. Not the other way around.
Some of the complaints/glitches I've heard are indeed valid. Planes sounding like buzzing bees for example. Too high pitched. I myself have had that though admittedly its not nearly as bad as it was. Same ting with hearing guns at a longer distance then plane engines. Or engines suddenly cutting in at 600 out instead of fading in as they should.
Again these things are better for me now then they were..
But instead of assuming HTC should let everyone know there isa  problem is off.

Perhaps they dont know unless we tell them. Could be on their machines everything works perfectly. But with the nearly infinite variety of systems and the components that go into them. HTC cant possibly be prepared to know if there is something thats off on every system
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty