Author Topic: Ground Effect with Flaps  (Read 1708 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Ground Effect with Flaps
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2010, 05:45:40 PM »
     And you know you've landed gear up when you need full power to taxi to the ramp  :D

funny thing......an instructor(pretty much a kid) pulled the throttle, and gave me a simulated engine failure. i was directly over the approach of a private runway. i was too low to circle, i never go away from a known good landing area for these. so i did what i honestly am very very uncomfortable doing in real life.......i slipped the airplane in. the dude took the controls at about 150 feet, and started screaming at me for slipping it.
 i really didn't understand why, as i had the runway made. i asked my regular instructor when he came back from vacation, and he said it was the right thing to do.
 the dude that yelled at me landed one of the twins gear up about a month after that incident. it had 2 brand new engines on it too.  :bolt:
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2010, 05:47:10 PM »
The AR-234 seems to float like crazy in ground effect.  I made an approach (to a vbase) at 100 IAS, side-slipping, and still had to use a building to stop me.  Unfortunately, it was fatal.
AAJagerX - XO - AArchAAngelz

trainers.hitechcreations.com

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2010, 05:49:16 PM »
funny thing......an instructor(pretty much a kid) pulled the throttle, and gave me a simulated engine failure. i was directly over the approach of a private runway. i was too low to circle, i never go away from a known good landing area for these. so i did what i honestly am very very uncomfortable doing in real life.......i slipped the airplane in. the dude took the controls at about 150 feet, and started screaming at me for slipping it.
 i really didn't understand why, as i had the runway made. i asked my regular instructor when he came back from vacation, and he said it was the right thing to do.
 the dude that yelled at me landed one of the twins gear up about a month after that incident. it had 2 brand new engines on it too.  :bolt:

What???  Why would he yell at you for slipping it?  I always liked slipping it on final (when the situation called for it), and my instructor didn't have any issues with it.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 05:59:17 PM »
What???  Why would he yell at you for slipping it?  I always liked slipping it on final (when the situation called for it), and my instructor didn't have any issues with it.

that was why i never flew with him again....that, and the no gear landing.

when i need to fly with an instructor now, i fly with a guy from the club i joined.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline grumpy37

• Silver Member
      • What I do
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 06:25:07 PM »
LOL, i remember the first time my instructor cut the power and said simulated engine failure....  I looked at her and put the throttle back on and told her simulated mid air engine repair...  She almost died laughing.
CO VF-10 "Grim Reapers"   Member JG54 in AVA

Offline AAJagerX

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 06:48:13 PM »
LOL, i remember the first time my instructor cut the power and said simulated engine failure....  I looked at her and put the throttle back on and told her simulated mid air engine repair...  She almost died laughing.

Classic!  :rofl

Offline BulletVI

• Silver Member
      • http://virtuallyinfamous.webs.com
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 06:53:53 PM »
:lol i know that ground effect affects the spit upon landing as when you lower the flaps ( all the bloody thing want's to do is go nose up  :eek: :lol ) as i believe that with being only 1 stage flaps i.e they are either up or doon. And when down they act more like air-brake's than flap's :lol but on take-off i believe the spit has little or no ground effect as you dont use the flaps on take-off :)

But hey someone will come along AND CORRECT ME :lol
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 07:07:25 PM by BulletVI »
You Don't See Me But You Hear Me Coming Then Darkness

HUH Computer's GIVE ME A SPANNER AND A WRENCH ANY DAY OF THE WEEK.  ( Mr Fix It ) :)

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 06:54:17 PM »

lol.. you should have said "OK, its not my plane"

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2010, 07:06:11 PM »
     And you know you've landed gear up when you need full power to taxi to the ramp  :D

So that's what that grinding and scraping noise was?
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline jamdive

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2010, 07:12:13 PM »
A flight instructor at the airport where I used to go fired up a cirrus sr22 and taxied it into a parked tug totally destroying the prop

Offline 68Wooley

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2010, 08:32:32 PM »

Possibly because the POH for the aircraft stated no slips with flaps deployed. Many do.

Probably though, he was just not a very good CFI. I know many sailing instructors who were really not very good sailors. I assume the same is true of CFIs.

Offline rvflyer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2010, 10:17:07 PM »
that was why i never flew with him again....that, and the no gear landing.

when i need to fly with an instructor now, i fly with a guy from the club i joined.

:airplane: Got my PP in 1965 and instructors in 1976 and been flying my RV-6 for almost 22 years. A while back I needed a flight review and my regular instructor I usually use was not available so I went to the local
pilot factory and got a instructor that was still wet behind the ears. First thing he yelled about was I did not have my nose right in the painted center line as i was taxiing out and I might hit a airplane along the side line if I didn't
keep the airplane right on the painted  center line. I asked him what should I do if I was to land on a runway that did not have a painted center line, he didn't have an answer. Second thing he wanted a stall did not  specify if it was full or eminent stall so I pulled the nose fairly steep and did a really nice full stall. I really thought the kid was going to wet his pants, he yelled and screamed that I didn't know how to do stalls and you should never ever do a full stall.
He said they were not even taught at the school he learned at.

Then they wonder why general aviation accident rates are so high instructors now days barely know how to fly themselves.
Tour 70 2005 to present

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2010, 10:41:25 PM »

I did that the other day when i had a simulated engine failure, He cut the power and i went through my emergency procedures

Checked fuel selector, Checked Mixture, and checked throttle "Oh theres the problem!" And I started climbing out. He had a quick laugh, then made me do it again :(
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2010, 11:14:56 PM »
:aok :rofl :aok
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2010, 11:19:22 PM »
Possibly because the POH for the aircraft stated no slips with flaps deployed. Many do.

Probably though, he was just not a very good CFI. I know many sailing instructors who were really not very good sailors. I assume the same is true of CFIs.

i think slips on cessnas are prohibited with more than 20 degrees of flaps.....i don't have the poh handy, and can't recall off the top of my head.......

and, yes, you are right about some cfi's being good, and others not. my primary cfi was a great guy. i liked him a lot. the problem was he only taught what was necessary to get me passed my checkride. nothing more, nothing less.

the guy i fly with now, teaches as if he was teaching his own son. i like that teaching style better. even when i've flown with him not as a student, it ends up being a lesson anyway. great guy, and at this point, i almost don't want to fly with anyone else.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"