Author Topic: Disturbing trend  (Read 3579 times)

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
Disturbing trend
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:54:01 AM »
Has anyone noticed people leaving the game at a fairly good rate?

I have seen members of squads leave the game after many years of play, most of them say the same thing...."The game has become to arcade".

Last night i logged on to the orange arena,giant furball. Blue arena same thing, with the added caveat of a lovely field of overlapping dar on both arenas, the pizza map is ridiculous with the new settings.  I looked for a few squaddies, and only 3 where on. I cant tell you the last time i saw that few in the game!!!!

Post after post seems to be about people quiting the game, or at least quitting for awhile. If the numbers are up for htc it is because of the death of another flight Sim. I dint think that trend will continue. I myself find that i am logging on less and less,cant stand the gameplay anymore.

Do i furball occasionally, yes, but some nights i enjoy just lifting in a heavy jug, sneaking into enemy territory and porking a base deep behind the lines. Why you ask? kinnda peacefull flying low and hitting the base behind their lines, and giving the "what the he!! is going on there experience. :airplane: Oh yeah cant do that anymore!

I do think that the game has gone downhill in a big way,and as i see in the forums so do a growing proportion of others. I miss the game having a purpose, I miss flying with my squad, I miss a feeling of having accomplished something. I don't give a crap about the score i have, or the rank in a cartoon world, I played the game because i enjoyed it, and lately i just don't seem to feel the same, feels like work.

Whatever the reason for taking the fun out of the game I really don't care anymore. I have posted,as others have, my displeasure for the changes, and HTC could give a sh!#

To all that I have fought with and against  :salute A bunch of great people in here and i will miss all (even bish) of you :cry I have enjoyed the camaraderie and have had a great time with all. but it may be time after 3 years to move on.

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
Re: Disturbing trend
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »
posts like this number in the dozens and have been around since the year 2000.  you aren't seeing anything unusual.  you are seeing much needed turnover, like the tilling of a farmers field.  Take the left over waste from the previous year and work it under the soil to feed next years crop.

lol Nice try though?  Fertilizer?
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 10:08:38 AM »
Has anyone noticed people leaving the game at a fairly good rate?

People come and people go... I guarantee you that overall numbers are up in Aces High since Fighter Ace closed its doors.

There has been some changes to effect base taking game-play but overall the game itself hasn't changed.

Then again, I'm a scenario war criminal and I'm not to be trusted.   :devil
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Dr_Death8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 10:15:12 AM »
Actually, our squad has probably doubled almost in the last couple of months so I agree with Yeager that it is normal attrition. What I can't figure out is how a computer game can be considered anything but arcade. Most of the whiners want a real simulator where the adversary is going to react only in the guidelines of what they consider to be appropriate responses. Most complain about the HO's and the vulching, but when you get down to it, most of the aviation history you read was HO's and vulching. If this game was a real simulation, alot of people wouldn't be flying as there are far more controls which need to be done to maintain flight then what this game requires. Guess what, real life is unscripted and it is unknown how anyone is going to react to a given situation. that is what I like about this game, as it is unscripted, and you do not know what the other guy is going to do.  :salute

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
Have fun in WW2OL as it's the only MMO flight sim that is even close to this one in terms of realism (I suppose there is Warbirds  :rofl)  Have fun with the 3 fighter planes per side you get to choose from (oh there are more than 3 with the variants but it's basically 3 per side.)  Have fun with the crappy flight and damage models.  Have fun with with the laughable takeoffs and landings where cartwheeling across an airfield and landing upside down will still get you a successful RTB.  But hey, it is easier to bounce people in there (well unless they have bionic ears, you'll find out about that) and that's all that matters right?  Oh, I should also mention that you can't sneak attack any towns because in order to capture them they have to have an attack order placed on them by the high command so the other side will definitely know you're coming.

All you guys that are :( over the changes to this game need to realize that most people have busy lives and family commitments that limits their flying time.  They don't want to log in and spend 20 out of the 30 minutes they have allotted trying to figure out where to lift from and then the remaining 10 flying into combat because they have just used up their 30 minutes and haven't even fired their guns yet.  I do think there is a point where they can overdo it with making the fights too fast and furious but they haven't reached that point IMO.  It's about right where it's at.  You can find good fights in a reasonable amount of time and they don't always have to be a furball.  

Have fun with whatever you decide to do because that's what it's all about.  If it's not fun for you then it's time to move on.  Don't blame the game though, it's very fun if you allow yourself to enjoy it.

Quote from: DrDeath8
Most complain about the HO's and the vulching, but when you get down to it, most of the aviation history you read was HO's and vulching.

So true.  From The First and the Last by Adolf Galland:

We feared for every ME-262 taxied out for the take-off.  A flight of piston-engined fighter planes that had the job of covering the take-off and the landing of the ME-262s was already involved in heavy dogfights.  A large number of light flak guns posted all around the field were barking away furiously.  Mustangs and Thunderbolts did not manage to prevent the take-ff of the jet fighters, but it was critical and exciting.

The real war was not fair.  To paraphrase another aviation quote, 'If it's a fair fight, you didn't plan it properly.'
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 10:39:27 AM by HatTrick »

Offline Blooz

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »
Same thing every year. The kids go back to school and suddenly the sky is falling. Don't worry. They'll be back again at Christmas, Easter and when school lets out next June. Yee ha, squeaker season is over.
White 9
JG11 Sonderstaffel

"You can't vote your way out of communism."

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 10:43:56 AM »
to me the game has become exactly that...scripted... HTC has taken away a HUGE chunk of what the game used to be. I can tell on any given night almost to a note exactly what you will see in the game. Hordes, furballs abound, I used to love busting up an noe raid and doing an occasional noe myself. if 4 going on 5 years,i just checked, is not a year to year thing.

The numbers as i have said may be up due to the failure of warbirds but how long do you think that will last?

What ever the case IMO the game has lost something....and no WWII is not close to the flight model of AH....tried it once.

I do love AH and used to look forward to play, just not so much anymore. I can,t stand the 40 on 40 furballs it is boring.

The game has become uber arcade, and if you don't think so look around, a bunch if us do.

As far as this kind of post, you usually see it pop up after a big update, and then dwindle off. I don't see that happening here.

Offline groundfeeder

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 10:46:05 AM »
Same thing every year. The kids go back to school and suddenly the sky is falling. Don't worry. They'll be back again at Christmas, Easter and when school lets out next June. Yee ha, squeaker season is over.

Far from squeaker....and havent seen much of those on either....nothing compare to years past.

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 11:12:17 AM »
I thought the only constant was change.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
I'm reading these threads and I'm drawing the same conclusion either man up and learn to fly and fight properly with good ACM and teamwork or go elsewhere.

The problem was/still is people who do nothing else but troll the map looking for easy captures and the least amount of resistance so they can have a nice big group hug and pats on backs for a horde job well done.  

Until we break the chess piece spirit and the horde mentality then these threads will keep popping up.   The game isn't about just furball or capture it is a fine blend of both and If you can't appreciate both gameplay aspects then you will find yourself struggling to enjoy it.

If you suck in a fighter go and ask someone for help.

Oh and I saw sirnuke flying this morning!  I will be expecting some nasty downright dirty Spit 9 fights!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:23:43 AM by Bruv119 »
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline waystin2

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:23:55 AM »
I thought the only constant was change.

You got it! :aok
CO for the Pigs On The Wing
& The nicest guy in Aces High!

Offline SEseph

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:28:18 AM »
I'm reading these threads and I'm drawing the same conclusion either man up and learn to fly and fight properly with good ACM and teamwork or go elsewhere.

The problem was/still is people who do nothing else but troll the map looking for easy captures and the least amount of resistance so they can have a nice big group hug and pats on backs for a horde job well done.  

Until we break the chess piece spirit and the horde mentality then these threads will keep popping up.   The game isn't about just furball or capture it is a fine blend of both and If you can't appreciate both gameplay aspects then you will find yourself struggling to enjoy it.

If you suck in a fighter go and ask someone for help.

Oh and I saw sirnuke flying this morning!  I will be expecting some nasty downright dirty Spit 9 fights!   :cheers:

How dare you say these things! These poor souls want an Easy Button because effort is hard.  :cry

Not much else to really say on that.
BOWL Axis CO 2014 BoB13 JG52 XO DSG2 Axis S. Cmdr 2012 WSDG Allied CO 2012 Multiple GL/XO Side/Section CO/XO since early '00s
If at first you don't succeed, try, try again. Then quit. There's no point in being a damn fool about it. W.C.Fields

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:29:30 AM »

The problem?  :rofl

Some people LIKE doing that, whats the problem??

Some guys like flying around looking for easy kills with the least amount of resistance,whats the problem?

I think the "problem" is people who say that the way other people play is a problem.
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2010, 11:31:33 AM »
since we are spilling our guts out here please allow me to do some spilling: The biggest change I have seen in this game over the last few years is the number of people playing because AH is a "massively multi-player Online game" versus the number of people playing because they already loved the subject, war aviation.

It used to be a sizable number of people played AH because they loved the subject as a part of their lives before they even knew this game existed.  Today I sense way more people are here simply because of the MMO aspect of the game.  Its just another opportunity to "spank" online and talk smack to other players like themselves.  It has really cheapened the overall experience......

This is what I believe has impacted AH (negatively from my perspective) more than any arena setting.

Do not get me wrong, I still enjoy and love "the game" I just miss the quality of the interplay between opponents brought on by people who understood the game from a love of war aviation  in general and WW2 aviation in particular.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 11:33:19 AM by Yeager »
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline HatTrick

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2010, 11:35:35 AM »
The problem?  :rofl

Some people LIKE doing that, whats the problem??

Some guys like flying around looking for easy kills with the least amount of resistance,whats the problem?

I think the "problem" is people who say that the way other people play is a problem.

I don't think he was trying to say that it was a problem with the game but rather that is those people's problem/s.  Apparently fighting with little to no resistance and bouncing unaware enemy cons used to be easier than it is now and some people are butthurt that it isn't easy anymore.  That's my take on it being rather new and all.