Author Topic: Force feedback plea  (Read 801 times)

Offline -luny-

• Zinc Member
Force feedback plea
« on: November 04, 1999, 04:40:00 AM »
Hiyas all...I've been flying AH (offline only) and there doesn't seem to be any force feedback yet. At least I haven't found any such tab in the setup.

If it hasn't been implemented yet, I'd like to take this opportunity to plead for us CH Force FX owners. CH Products and Immersion have ceased to support the CH Force FX because it's an I-force 1 device, whereas the current FF sticks use the I-force 2 API.

I-force 1->2 "translating" drivers for DirectX use were released and supported until mid-1998, but now there will not be any more DirectX driver updates. The latest drivers are from July 1998 and were written for DirectX 5. (Quitting all support like this is infuriating because the stick has only been around for 3-4 years or so, and is so bomb-proof that it will last a lifetime - and it's an excellent stick too, allowing external pedals and throttle without any problems, making it the stick of choice for many hardcore flight-sim enthusiasts).

This is causing serious problems - for instance, in Warbirds the CH Force FX DirectX drivers cause system freezes in online play. The force feedback you get in DirectX is crude compared to the old non-DirectX CH Force FX driver.

So, here's my plea: AH folks, when you implement force feedback, please make the I-force 1 non-DirectX force feedback support an option. This used to be the standard in the last Warbirds 1.x versions before DirectX became the only supported FF API in WB 2.0. There are plenty of I-force 1 sticks around (they all happen to be called CH Force FX) with very dedicated pilots behind them.

I'm currently trying to persuade WB folks to re-install the old FF support as an option in WB/DoA too...I sure hope they'll be so kind.

Luny

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Force feedback plea
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 1999, 08:32:00 AM »

[This message has been edited by -lynx- (edited 11-04-1999).]

Offline -lynx-

• Copper Member
Force feedback plea
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 1999, 08:33:00 AM »
cc that luny - let's have FF support. It sucks to fly without it  

------------------
-lynx-
13 Sqn RAF

Offline -luny-

• Zinc Member
Force feedback plea
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 1999, 05:36:00 AM »
And foithermore...

Once the FF code gets looked at, would it be possible to have separate trim force sliders for aileron and elevator? Well, FF pedals are probably just a matter of time, so better make it 3 sliders...

Are there any plans to support a zillion analog axes through a USB port, btw? I
understand this would require coding support for, say, 10 control axes and letting the user assign them to trim, toe brakes, prop pitch, whatever. Oooh, I would love to have toe brakes and analog trim and prop pitch...

Getting carried away here...avoiding the CH Force FX DirectX freeze bug is still my AH concern no. 1.

Luny

Offline snag

• Zinc Member
Force feedback plea
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 1999, 10:28:00 AM »
Yes, the lack of force-feedback is a deterrent. I was flying .39 offline today in 1280*1024 mode, 32 bits graphics, looking at this admirable Macchi 205 and saying to myself that those were among, if not the best graphics I'd seen in a sim so far.

So the visuals are outstanding now, but the two other aspects of simulation are really lacking : sounds -however I can understand that those need research, sampling and that they'll come later- and force-feedback, which I'm now really used to.

So, people at HTC, I know the list of priorities must be a mile long, but a good number of us I think would very much appreciate FF support.

snag
Virtual 13 Squadron RAF

fuze

Force feedback plea
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 1999, 11:39:00 PM »
As far as the CH FX causing online lockups, I have had many many of them. The Ch driver was conflicting , and always choosing on install, the same com port as my modem. To get around it, in the control panel when installing the joystick and after installing the CH DX5 FX driver, i DID NOT choose the DX5 joystick with rudder like I was. I used the custom option and it set it up to match my setup and it worked alot better. I was also able to select a different com port for the forces that didnt conflict with modem. Most of this was done in Air Warrior 3D and eliminated my online freezes. The CH FX is similar to the combat stick and you could also use that stick setup  and add the forces as necessary, but I encountered problems going that route. I agree on feedback support. Once you've flown with it, it sure is a whole lot different when you DONT use it, and if your want realism feedback cant be beat. Theres my two cents.

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Force feedback plea
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 1999, 04:45:00 PM »
I'm also patiently awaiting force feedback. I'm ready for my stick to stiffen when in a high speed dive on an unwary bandit. hmmmm, That didn't sound quite like I meant it   . But anyways my MS FF is ready for it.