Author Topic: Upcoming Mossie skins?  (Read 2832 times)

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
Upcoming Mossie skins?
« on: August 31, 2010, 10:01:01 PM »
Skuzzy,

Since we are getting the new Mosquito in the near future, what are the accepted skin profiles? I noticed that Karnak had asked on another thread if the profiles of the Photo Recon variant would be accepted?

I have been searching around on the internet for quite some time for mossie plane profiles. I am not having too much luck, given that I do not have any books on the mosquito at home. I would like to go to the library sometime and check out a few of those books I can find. From what I have seen, we may have a colorful lineup of skins to pick from. Ive seen some white and yellow skins, but again, that all depends on the criteria HTC establishes.

That said, I would like to see some invasion stripes on our mossies soon!
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Upcoming Mossie skins?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 11:23:35 PM »
Skuzzy,

Since we are getting the new Mosquito in the near future, what are the accepted skin profiles? I noticed that Karnak had asked on another thread if the profiles of the Photo Recon variant would be accepted?

I have been searching around on the internet for quite some time for mossie plane profiles. I am not having too much luck, given that I do not have any books on the mosquito at home. I would like to go to the library sometime and check out a few of those books I can find. From what I have seen, we may have a colorful lineup of skins to pick from. Ive seen some white and yellow skins, but again, that all depends on the criteria HTC establishes.

That said, I would like to see some invasion stripes on our mossies soon!
I have a bunch of books let me know what your after. Check your in box what I sent I think may help you.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 12:18:12 AM »
Not sure you're going to get invasion stripes on these as they were high altitude birds.  What you might get, if the PR and F-8 versions are acceptable, are different colors and stars and bars.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 12:43:12 AM »
There is actually a profile of a P.R. variant with full invasion stripes. Serviced by No. 544 Squadron.

Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 12:47:04 AM »
Not sure you're going to get invasion stripes on these as they were high altitude birds.  What you might get, if the PR and F-8 versions are acceptable, are different colors and stars and bars.
Wow I only just noticed the home page. The answer is yes to invasion stripes just gave Plazus a link with that.

So glad I purchased this book a while back I knew this plane would have to show up sooner or later.

http://www.amazon.com/Achtung-Moskito-Mosquito-Fighter-Bombers-1941-1945/dp/076433347X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1283319950&sr=8-1

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 12:48:29 AM »
Plazus you beat me to it lol.

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 12:49:10 AM »
Lol! Great minds think alike.  :cheers:
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 01:10:38 AM »
Not forgetting our American friends & D-day stirpes.

If your not sure what colour to paint them.

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 02:02:39 AM »
Next question is what other glass nose Mosquito variants will we be permitted to skin?

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 03:07:52 AM »
I knew this would come up so I already discussed it with Pyro. Basically you can skin any bomber or PR Mosquito variant that had two stage engines and saw service in WW2. It doesn't matter whether the original aircraft had the bulged bomb bay doors either. You are not allowed to skin the single stage Mk IV as HTC may introduce that into the game at some future date.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 03:12:51 AM by Greebo »

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 07:06:53 AM »
the faired-in long range tanks are interesting, look alot less draggy than the FB VIs drop tanks. were they releasable? will we get them?
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline jocko-

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 11:04:38 AM »
I knew this would come up so I already discussed it with Pyro. Basically you can skin any bomber or PR Mosquito variant that had two stage engines and saw service in WW2. It doesn't matter whether the original aircraft had the bulged bomb bay doors either. You are not allowed to skin the single stage Mk IV as HTC may introduce that into the game at some future date.

Ok, so based on some reading, with this model we are good for:

B.XVI
PR.XVI
B.IX
PR.IX

There is also the PR.VIII, although only five of them were built. I suppose that would be under the "not in sufficient numbers to allow inclusion" or would it be ok?
417jocko
XO
351st FS, 353rd FG
"Slybirds!"

Offline Plazus

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 11:24:43 AM »

Is this an early war variant of the mossie bomber? Or is it the one with the Molins 6-pounder cannon?
Plazus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Axis vs Allies

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 11:59:48 AM »
That's basically it Jocko, although there may also be some Canadian equivalents to those marks with different numbers. I didn't take the time to research it so I took the lazy way out.  :D

I can't see why the Mk VIII would be a problem.

The Molins Mossie was the mark XVIII. This was basically a Mk VI with the Hispanos removed and the 57mm gun put in their place, plus some extra armour.

The Mk IV was the glass nosed bomber version that entered service in mid 1942. It had single stage Merlins giving it roughly similar performance to the Mk VI. The 1944 Mk XVI we are getting has two stage Merlins like on the later Spits and Mustangs giving it much better altitude performance.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 12:02:57 PM by Greebo »