Author Topic: been in ava alot lately  (Read 2734 times)

Offline doomed

• Copper Member
Re: been in ava alot lately
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 07:14:50 PM »
omg i give up on explaining to you people what im trying to get at so nvm. Have fun and good luck chile and friends. :salute

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 07:41:18 PM »
omg i give up on explaining to you people what im trying to get at so nvm. Have fun and good luck chile and friends. :salute
Hasn't changed a bit...still throwing temper tantrums.

We know what you're saying, obviously you can't see what being said to you.

I'm not asking for icons a mile away and Ive been in ava solid for well over a month now. Its not seeing the bad guys, believe me i get and land my fair share of kills and usually die as the result of a collision or HO(just ask seadog who is mad at me). Let me see if i can put it another way. Everyone wants realism and no icons but have no problem with a radar ring the size of Texas covering the entire map that can be seen while flying and if i recall most ww2 aircraft did not have operational air to air radar.
You obviously haven't noticed that even if the radar tower is taken out on a base, you can still see the little red dots. The radar settings are there because people don't want to fly 500 miles across a map to find a fight. It's not about in plane radar. Just like the icons in the other arenas, it's a necessary evil.

So now that the we love the realism thing seems less important what I'm trying to say is this is my experience and ALOT of my squads,some of who wont even play here now.  You take off and climb to alt wich isn't much because the bases are on top of each other but maybe 10k or so and you see the con who is almost allways a green colored aircraft. You engage and get the drop on  him. BOOM he hits the deck and since this is a game and not a real 3d world it becomes very very hard to pick up a guy that you was on because of a non real world environment and you spend the next frantic 20 seconds looking for him to no avail as he is back at base. What I'm saying is NO icons till about 600 that way once you have engaged someone and pass each other and he hits the deck you dint have to pray he dint blend in perfect and strain your eyes looking for him. This would not effect a bounce or SA or anything it would just help to encourage a fight to last till the end that is all.
The bases are situated close together for the same reason as the dot dar settings. If you want to get higher alt before you get into the fray, fly away from the fight first, just common sense. Losing sight of a plane that suddenly dove out of a fight to 5000 feet below you and has a paint job that blends in with the terrain, can't get any more real than that. It's very difficult to see a problem there, other than you got frustrated because you were denied a kill.

If we want realism than reduce the dar ring and dint allow you to see the dar while in flight. I'm just saying lol.

I respect all your views and opinions and will still play there from time to time but you guys allways ask in the forums how to improve or bring in a crowd and FSO style icon range could help.
How long are you and the rest of your squad willing to fly in order to find someone to shoot at? No one has asked you that yet. With the maps that are normally used, you could carry drop tanks and run out of fuel before you find someone to shoot at. The reduced radar was tried for a very short time and the mistake was very apparent on the BoB map, where we spent more time chasing friendlies than fighting, and the friendly icon settings were 2k.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 07:48:11 PM »
Well said Gyrene.  On the mark.  :aok  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 08:05:12 PM »
Remember no matter what you prefer everybody is entitled to their opinion.  And opinions were solicited by a staffer (eeww gives me the wileys calling him that) so don't be overly concerned about telling people how they are wrong, don't get it, etc..  If you like the no-icons the best thing to do is fly in the AvA and offer help when help is asked.  The no-icons are only the spark, no matter the setting it will always be the community that is the back-bone of the AvA.  The staffers can only do so much, the majority is up to us.  :salute
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Seadog36

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 05:08:15 AM »
Hats off for a fantastic new map! I really like the no enemy icon scenario and the spawn distances and scale are excellent. Makes for some great fights! Maybe a shorter radar coverage even. I enjoyed the late war rides over the weekend~ looking forward to your winter and pacific arenas~ and hoping they will feature D-11 jugs in the plane set! :salute :salute :salute

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2010, 06:05:28 AM »
Remember no matter what you prefer everybody is entitled to their opinion.  And opinions were solicited by a staffer,  so don't be overly concerned about telling people how they are wrong, don't get it, etc..  If you like the no-icons the best thing to do is fly in the AvA and offer help when help is asked.  The no-icons are only the spark, no matter the setting it will always be the community that is the back-bone of the AvA.  The staffers can only do so much, the majority is up to us.  :salute

small edit by TC

nicely put, Bug  :aok

Heya Gyrene, I am not attempting to argue with you , I just want to quote something you posted to confirm my thoughts..

believe it or not, the FSO would be almost the same settings as the AvA if it weren't for the fact that 400 of the 450 people who participate regularly would quit if happened.

This is what I was trying to explain in another thread...... The people in the AvA have changed again..
so now Players who like this particular setup with no enemy icons is ruling the roost.
verses those who liked it when it was mission based...
before then it was those who wanted to rule the AvA roost with their squads and roll base radars before their squad night started. so the opposing side could not see them or see where they would be attacking before it was too late

before that..... I hope people are starting to get my 11 +/- yrs experiences now......

the only things that have not really changed is some of the old guard still hangs in there, and the old AvsA Staffers still try to keep the peace and make it a more polite arena.....

but most all of the newer participants were not in the AvsA 6 months to 1 yr ago, 2 yrs ago, 3 or more yrs ago...... and alot of them in there now might even be the newer ones to AH vs people who have been here for yrs on end......

I am just happy that the AvsA Staffers never give up, and have that will to keep going to keep the AvsA populated....

:salute  :cheers:
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline trap78

• AvA Staff Member
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2010, 01:25:44 PM »
originally posted by doomed:
...a radar ring the size of Texas covering the entire map that can be seen while flying...
I would like to see dot dar and dar bar in the tower (what we have now) and only dar bar enabled while a player is in-flight. My understanding is that the lead special event CM talked to Hitech at the last con about this idea and it has since been implemented.

The other thing to remember is that AH has very limited icon settings for the CM’s to work with. I believe we have “normal” (main arena setting) “short” which is what’s used in special events (I think these are about half that of the main) and icons off. In an ideal situation, range, closure/departure, plane type and country color could all be set to turn off and on individually.

For example:
3000yds closure/departure icon on; this would be a neutral color + or – indicating whether you’re closing or departing with the bogey.
2000yds closure icon off and range icon on; this would be neutral color icon showing the range between you and the bogey.
1500yds range icon changes from neutral to country color.
1000yds range icon off and plane type icon on with country color.
500yds all icons off.

IMO the ability to adjust icon settings and the sophistication of the icon system itself is the most under developed aspect of this game.

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2010, 05:27:01 PM »
Something I find almost insulting is when people say AVA regs are 'elitists'.  Most of you have tolerated me on and off for 5 years or so and I'm the most non elitist player I know.  So why would I choose to associate with 'elitists'?  It boggles my mind.

:salute AVA staff and regs and beware... I've almost got my revamped box dialed in.  TD put some sparrows and aamrams on my rides ... :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2010, 06:46:33 PM »
So why do you associate with elitists?  Ya lost me..

Is the ditch weed in bloom in Texas?  :rolleyes:
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Dichotomy

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2010, 07:10:04 PM »
step away from the shot glass Bug... :D
JG11 - Dicho37Only The Proud Only The Strong AH Players who've passed on :salute

Offline Stones

• Zinc Member
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 02:10:31 PM »
The last 2 weeks have been fun in AVA
Personaly I really like the "no enemy icon" aspect of it.  When I'm in other arenas I turn off the icons now.  To me it adds a little more realism to the whole fight.
Why pick a decent camo' if a RED icon going to give you away.  AvA gives you a chance to use the skin with the terrain.  Also <S> to USRangers map.  I think the sky is Top!!

Unfortunately for me tho', my graphics are limited to the extent that I have to play with minimal settings.  The other night(Weds) it got worse, all planes just showed as black squares, even when close in it was just a black square with wings sticking out.

Got myself a new vid card today.  I think the other one is well cooked and will see what happens when I shove it in.

Anyways, <S> to all who've made AvA a fun place to be the last couple of weeks.

Only the spirit of attack, born in a brave heart, will bring success to any fighter aircraft, no matter how highly developed it may be.... Adolf Galland

Ingame ID's~KlunK~Stones~Helmet

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 02:47:48 PM »
originally posted by doomed:I would like to see dot dar and dar bar in the tower (what we have now) and only dar bar enabled while a player is in-flight. My understanding is that the lead special event CM talked to Hitech at the last con about this idea and it has since been implemented.
we could do it in the AVA but it makes finding the fight harder, and no icons is hard enough at this point. we have tried it though.

The other thing to remember is that AH has very limited icon settings for the CM’s to work with. I believe we have “normal” (main arena setting) “short” which is what’s used in special events (I think these are about half that of the main) and icons off. In an ideal situation, range, closure/departure, plane type and country color could all be set to turn off and on individually.

For example:
3000yds closure/departure icon on; this would be a neutral color + or – indicating whether you’re closing or departing with the bogey.
2000yds closure icon off and range icon on; this would be neutral color icon showing the range between you and the bogey.
1500yds range icon changes from neutral to country color.
1000yds range icon off and plane type icon on with country color.
500yds all icons off.

we can only mess with icons as far as distance goes. closure/departure is automatic. icon color is the color set as default or if the player customizes it, whatever color they make it. there is no color code based on distance. we can make icons 6k+ or right down to 0. we can adjust height so that below a certain alt, the icons disappear.

that's the extent of what we can do.

IMO the ability to adjust icon settings and the sophistication of the icon system itself is the most under developed aspect of this game.

Offline sparow

• Nickel Member
      • http://249sqn.wordpress.com/
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2010, 05:16:12 PM »
I'm not asking for icons a mile away...What I'm saying is NO icons till about 600 that way once you have engaged someone and pass each other and he hits the deck you dint have to pray he dint blend in perfect and strain your eyes looking for him.

Hi Doomed,

Since your first post that I am not understanding your point. It may be me, I'm not english, I may be missing something in translation. But you want the icons to kick in at D600. But if the con extends towards the deck he will be at D600 plus... his icon will be gone by then... What you really want is that is icon "lights up" at, lets say, 1k. But that's exactly what we want to avoid with no enemy icons, right?

I know that some planes camo are really hard to spot, I also have a hard time spotting them, I'm running a very low end machine here... But for my experience - I've been here for a while - I like no icons better. Maybe a little bit more leach on the friendly icons but it's a side issue.

I hope you stay around. And that your mates come back and decide to make an extra effort. We need people that enjoys something other than base captures and late war models on both sides.

<S>
Sparow
249 Sqn RAF "Gold Coast"
Consistently beeing shot down since Tour 33 (MA) and Tour 8  (CT/AvA)

Visit us at http://249sqn.wordpress.com/

Offline E25280

• Gold Member
      • http://125thspartanforums.com
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2010, 05:28:50 PM »
Why pick a decent camo' if a RED icon going to give you away.  AvA gives you a chance to use the skin with the terrain.  Also <S> to USRangers map.  I think the sky is Top!!
This is the problem for me.  Camoflage was meant to hide the plane while sitting on the ground, and the light underside to hide a high flying aircraft from ground observers.  It was never designed to, nor ever could, cause a moving plane to simply disappear while a pilot 1000 yards away is staring right at him.  But it happens to me regularly with the icons off.

Just zoom in?  Yes, that is fine because it at least approaches the size of what a RL pilot would see.  But then you have tunnel vision, which is not something a RL pilot would experience.

As for the current high numbers . . . I hope I'm wrong, but I predict the novelty of no icons will eventually wear off, just like the novelty of missions wore off, and the novelty of the EWA wore off, and the novelty of the WWI arenas wore off . . . But best of luck to you.
Brauno in a past life, followed by LTARget
SWtarget in current incarnation
Captain and Communications Officer~125th Spartans

"Proudly drawing fire so that my brothers may pass unharmed."

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2010, 10:58:29 PM »
Had a nice (very quick, in his favor) fight with Doomed this evening.  He had to leave.  Subsequently had several good, long fights with RufLeak, right out of the old AvA days, switching planes, switching sides, never knowing who was going to make the first mistake, enjoying it all even if it was you.  Good times, hope he stays with us.

- oldman