Author Topic: Naval Aircraft Carriers + B-25 Mitchells  (Read 2997 times)

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Naval Aircraft Carriers + B-25 Mitchells
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2010, 06:40:35 PM »

Bell P-59 Airacomet: U.S first turbo engine AC that only had 50 or 60 into service.  It was going to make its first combat mission hours before Germany surrenders. 

Actually, the P-59 was never accepted for combat service. The performance didn't even match the capabilities of late-war prop birds of the time.

The P-80 was the closest I believe of any American jet design to see combat during the war, and she missed out by several MONTHS.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline 800nate

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2010, 07:05:07 PM »
the b25 had only one gun in the nose in the doolittle raid

Offline 800nate

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2010, 07:16:47 PM »
+1 so when we get at a strat we all up b25s +! :aok

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2010, 07:42:36 PM »
the b25 had only one gun in the nose in the doolittle raid

Nate, your wrong, as usual.

The B25's during the Doolittle raid had the tailguns removed and replaced with broomsticks painted black. The top turret still had 2 .50 caliber guns in it.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2010, 07:55:09 PM »
Actually, the P-59 was never accepted for combat service. The performance didn't even match the capabilities of late-war prop birds of the time.

The P-80 was the closest I believe of any American jet design to see combat during the war, and she missed out by several MONTHS.

You are right on that.  The P-59 never saw service but the P-80 i believe it was the AC that was going to see it first combat mission hours before Germany surrender.
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »
You are right on that.  The P-59 never saw service but the P-80 i believe it was the AC that was going to see it first combat mission hours before Germany surrender.

The YP-80 was still undergoing testing when the Bombs were dropped (Bong was killed testing one of them I think the day after Hiroshima). I don't think they were in service until after the Japanese surrender.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Tupac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2010, 08:11:07 PM »
Bong was killed after the war, not sure about date but I think he was killed flying a corsair.
"It was once believed that an infinite number of monkeys, typing on an infinite number of keyboards, would eventually reproduce the works of Shakespeare. However, with the advent of Internet messageboards we now know this is not the case."

Offline JHerne

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2010, 08:26:00 PM »
P-80s were undergoing operational testing in Italy at the end of the war.

Dick Bong was killed flying a P-80.
Skunkworks AvA Researcher and
Primary Cause of Angst

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2010, 10:07:04 PM »
The YP-80 was still undergoing testing when the Bombs were dropped (Bong was killed testing one of them I think the day after Hiroshima). I don't think they were in service until after the Japanese surrender.

P-80s were undergoing operational testing in Italy at the end of the war.

Dick Bong was killed flying a P-80.

I know I read something about the P-80 was going on its first combat mission hours before Germany surrender.  JHerne thank for refreshing something eals, that mission was to take off in Italy.  I will try to find that reading to re insure about the P-80. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2010, 10:14:43 PM »
A pair of P-80s were attached to the 1st FG in Italy very late, but never got anywhere near combat.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2010, 10:15:31 PM »
Found it, "U.S. rushed four P-80s to Europe- two each to England and Italy- and they were hours from entering combat when World War II ended."  Reading from "Aircraft of World War II"  by Jim Winchester
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2010, 10:27:42 PM »
So, has this JBJB person ever posted a response in any of the threads he starts?
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2010, 11:42:35 PM »
Found it, "U.S. rushed four P-80s to Europe- two each to England and Italy- and they were hours from entering combat when World War II ended."  Reading from "Aircraft of World War II"  by Jim Winchester

Seems to be wishful thinking on the part of the author.  From the 1st Fighter Group History.  These guys had the two P80s in Italy.  "the P-80s were brought over in early April 1945 by a Wright Field contingent 'for testing under combat conditions in a remote location'.  The Remote location was correct but combat conditions?  Surely not.  To be sure they were in an Operational area,but aside from occasional flights in the local area, not a great deal was accomplished."

Sure doesn't sound like they were hours from entering combat based on the guys who had them :)
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2010, 12:17:46 AM »
Seems to be wishful thinking on the part of the author.  From the 1st Fighter Group History.  These guys had the two P80s in Italy.  "the P-80s were brought over in early April 1945 by a Wright Field contingent 'for testing under combat conditions in a remote location'.  The Remote location was correct but combat conditions?  Surely not.  To be sure they were in an Operational area,but aside from occasional flights in the local area, not a great deal was accomplished."

Sure doesn't sound like they were hours from entering combat based on the guys who had them :)

Ok, where are you getting your info?
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2010, 07:00:57 AM »
Ok, where are you getting your info?
From the 1st Fighter Group History.

Sounds like from the guys who actually HAD the two P-80s in Italy.