Author Topic: This Day in WWII (general discussion)  (Read 1049 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
This Day in WWII (general discussion)
« on: October 15, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »
This is a topic for general discussion of the "This Day in WWII" series of events.

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
Re: This Day in WWII (general discussion)
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2010, 07:11:07 PM »
This is a topic for general discussion of the "This Day in WWII" series of events.

I like this event...it hits the sweet spot between chaotic MA and uber structured Scenarios...and avoids the overhead and unit contingent hurdles of FSO...it's 'free style' game play draws in an energetic group of people looking to have 'fun'...and exposes new players to the more structured events and opportunity those experiences offer...

Looking at the rule sets I love bottom line: kill the enemy and destroy objects...

That is a perfect philosophy and recipe for fun...

I am 'all in' on TDIH events going forward

<S>

Oneway
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 07:15:28 PM by oneway »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 12:28:51 AM »
Glad to have you playing, Oneway.

The setups are such that folks need no preparation to play.  There are no player-enforced rules at all (so no worries that anyone can voilate any rules).  And there is a lot of variation in the types of action and the themes.

Overall, I've had a lot of fun playing in them, too.

Offline LLogann

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Candidz.com
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 01:26:03 PM »
Last week was my first TDI and I have to say it was one of the best SEA's I have been involved in.

Big <S> to you three fine Gentlemen!!!
See Rule #4
Now I only pay because of my friends.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2010, 12:56:01 PM »
The first few TDI's were fun but lately no one has been atending. We need to do a better job of advertising and getting the word out on this event. Push Skuzzy for an individual thread. If KOTH gets one, TDI needs one.

perdweeb
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 06:48:38 PM »
Attendance has hovered (for the prime-time US ones) around 40-50 players, but there is variance.  For ones run at non-US-prime time (like Europe prime time or Australia prime time), they have lower attendance.

It's own forum won't do anything to attendance.  Few people read the special forums except for people who are already attending.

I advertise these things in the places where people who don't know about them tend to be more prevalent:  the general forum.

The thing that is most effective in recruiting is people recruiting their friends and squaddies to play and talking it up in the Main Arena when the opportunity arrises.

So, if you like them and want more people to play, spread the word.  That is by far the most-effective route.

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 10:16:18 AM »
I have only played one TDIH event, (black thursday) and it was my first taste of organized AH play. (I spend most of my time in the LW and training arenas)  I had a great time without needing a lot of experience thanks to the players who have been around for a long time and have a good grasp on what needs to happen. IMHO these events are the perfect way to introduce more people to another way of playing AH. Before trying the black thursday event I would mostly ignore the notifications in game about events starting in 30min, but now I keep an eye out for them and try to join when possible.  The TDIH events work great for me because I can't dedicate multiple days to the month long scenarios and I have no squad to join in on the FSO events.  Keep up the good work Brooke, and a +1 vote for a dedicated TDIH board.
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2010, 01:15:23 AM »
Howdy, tmetal, and thanks for playing.  What made you give it a try that first time?  (More first-time players is the key to increasing attendance.)

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 05:08:39 PM »
I think tmetal touches on a comment I made on the General AH forum Black Thursday thread; that TDIH can be an excellent vehicle to introduce or expose new folks to the more complex and involved scenario...

If TDIH can dovetail with the theme in terms of history and time and be concurrent with on or about the beta of a scenario...you have created an excellent event in terms of fun as well as a vehicle to leverage enthusiasm into other events...

A prelude if you will to the upcoming event...and an excellent opportunity to expose future event opportunity to "Quality" participants....and that is the key...quality over quantity...

Congruent scenario context is something I think should be considered when choosing TDIH back drops if the timing can be manipulated....

I know for certain that there were bomber guys flying with me in the last TDIH who were excited enough by the TDIH event, that they could be easily enticed into exploring the more scripted scenario...I am certain of that...

Out

Oneway
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 05:12:52 PM by oneway »

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 06:15:33 PM »
The next one is Operation Torch, November 8 (a Monday).

http://ahevents.org/events/this-day-in-wwii/607.html?task=view

Offline tmetal

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2010, 09:45:50 AM »
Howdy, tmetal, and thanks for playing.  What made you give it a try that first time?  (More first-time players is the key to increasing attendance.)

I read your short event description for black thursday on the forums, and knew that I had to give it a shot because it highlighted my 2 favorite things in the game. i.e. bombing and the B17. Now that I had such a blast with the TDIH event and really enjoyed the overall friendly participants (on both sides of the event as well as during and after the event on the forums) I plan on keeping an eye on future TDIH events and dragging anyone I can along with me.  I just wish they happened more often. 
*edit in additional idea due to my slow thinking process*
Another big thing for me (and probably a big draw for new players) is the unlimited lives; it is something I will have to lean on heavily if I ever get stuck in a fighter for these events. That being said, during the black thursday 10pm est event the bombers lost almost all their fighter cover when players using fighters didn't spawn back up to try and help. I don't know if this is because they logged after getting shot down or if it was something else but maybe an event wide anouncement about the unlimited lives (limit 2 per "x" number of min.) would go a long way towards sustained play throughout the event time frame.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2010, 09:58:30 AM by tmetal »
The real problem is anyone should feel like they can come to this forum and make a wish without being treated in a derogatory manner.  The only discussion should be centered around whether it would work, or how it would work and so on always in a respectful manner.

-Skuzzy 5/18/17

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »
Thanks, tmetal.  I will emphasize unlimited lives and keep advertising in the general forum.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 10:36:30 PM »
There is a forum now for This Day in WWII here:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,520.0.html