Author Topic: BnZ  (Read 1254 times)

Offline Lovin_Lightning

• Zinc Member
BnZ
« on: October 28, 2010, 09:07:25 PM »
Hey there!
I am trying to learn to fly the P38-L and I heard somewhere that Booming and Zooming is a good tactic for this plane.
My primary competition is the N1K2 and the A6M2. Does BnZ work well against these fast turning planes?
Would someone be kind enough to either direct me to a thread that deals with this (I couldn't find one myself) or inundate me with a wall of text explaining the finer points of BnZing and how to execute them?
Thanks in advance!

Lightning
Wife of prominent politician: Mr. Churchill you are drunk, drunk, drunk! Churchill: Yes madam, and you are ugly! But in the morning I shall be sober.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
Re: BnZ
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:27:56 PM »
OH i can so see this getting really ugly really fast!!!!!!!

IN
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 10:00:15 PM »
 I'm not sure why your posting this Flotsom,this is help and training and the OP is asking a legitimate question.

To answer the question somewhat,yes BnZ or boom and zoom tactics would work well against "turny" type planes.

LL,if you check my signature,there a link to the trainers site,many of your question can be answered there and if not feel free to ask away in this forum.

:salute

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 10:23:34 PM »
I'm not sure why your posting this Flotsom,this is help and training and the OP is asking a legitimate question.

To answer the question somewhat,yes BnZ or boom and zoom tactics would work well against "turny" type planes.

LL,if you check my signature,there a link to the trainers site,many of your question can be answered there and if not feel free to ask away in this forum.

oh Morph without a doubt it is an absolutley legitimate question that deserves solid and informative answers from one such as you who posses the skill and knowledge to teach the OP correctly.

but you know as well as i that when ever anyone asks about the proper way to use the 38 (any model) or how to B&Z properly the thread will quickly turn into a trash talking insult fest.

maybe it wont, but you know the odds are in my favor on this one.

i hope he learns and learns well, i leave that up to you, but the trolls will be pounding this thread and his name into the ground come tomorrow.

Good Luck Lightning, happy hunting!

Morph, ill see you in the air! <S>
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 07:28:39 AM »

One approach to BnZ, in this case using the vertical to "turn with" a better-turning opponent.

Separation distance is the key. You don't want to make a pass and then run out to 3-5k. Keep TIGHT, extending no further than 1500 yards or so, and keep the separation in the vertical. This keeps pressure on the target and allows you to wear down his E, while making your passes harder to evade.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline Muzzy

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 07:52:55 AM »
Get in contact with Soulyss if you can.  He's been teaching me a great deal about 38 tactics, although I am by no means proficient yet.

For reading materials, check this link:

http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_024a.html

It has some really good information on BnZ tactics, although it might be a bit hard to visualize some of the maneuvers.

I'm finding the best place to practice (if you don't mind getting shot down a lot) is the Dueling Arena.  It's easier to find furballs to zoom in on, and the atmosphere is (usually) more relaxed. Expect to die often though.

A couple of tips

1) make sure you can use your views properly. This is critical in all kinds of flying, but it's a lot easier to lose sight of your target during vertical maneuvers.

2) Practice your gunnery.  You'll be making a lot of quick passes and getting both trailing (shots at the target from behind) and deflection (shots at an angle) and you need to develop good aim and reflexes.  Deflection shots are particularly difficult, but there's nothing sweeter than watching an enemy plane cut across your nose in mint condition one second and come out the other end in pieces the next.  :D

« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 08:00:42 AM by Muzzy »

CO 111 Sqdn Black Arrows

Wng Cdr, No. 2 Tactical Bomber Group, RAF, "Today's Target" Scenario. "You maydie, but you will not be bored!"

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2010, 12:18:11 PM »
OH i can so see this getting really ugly really fast!!!!!!!

IN

Why?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2010, 02:28:37 PM »
I would point you to the 479th's film archive but it seems their website is no longer up. The best thing you can do is watch films and study them. Most of the 'top'  p38 sticks fly to an engagement and will BnZ/E-fight as long as they can. The great thing about the p38 is once you loose your E-advantage you can mix it up with it's excellent flaps.
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2010, 03:58:09 PM »
I would also add, on the first pass, see what side the opponent breaks to. then on the second pass, roll into that direction ahead of time, 9 times out of 10, the opponent will turn the same direction in which case you can get a crossing shot.
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline TonyJoey

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2010, 05:07:51 PM »

Offline Lovin_Lightning

• Zinc Member
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 05:42:21 PM »
Thanks guys!
I realized that my primary problem was that I was extending WAY too far out. No wonder I ALWAYS had the plane on my tail when I went to wing-over or immelman.
The comment on the turning is good since my favorite shot to take is a crossing shot. I'll have to get some practice in on that maneuver.
Messiah, after you lose energy and you drop your flaps to turn with someone, how long can you sustain the turn before you turn stall?
Wife of prominent politician: Mr. Churchill you are drunk, drunk, drunk! Churchill: Yes madam, and you are ugly! But in the morning I shall be sober.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
Lovin Lightning,

One of the best things you can do is get with a trainer in the TA, and practice with you in a 38 and them in a plane of your choice.  I'd recommend Soulyss or Delirium since they both prefer the 38's (don't know why :headscratch:). Practice your tactics against them, they can tell you what you are doing wrong and right, and give you pointers for the 38.  Nothing beats stick time for training.

BigRat  
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Messiah

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
      • http://www.theblueknights.com
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2010, 06:00:28 PM »
Thanks guys!
I realized that my primary problem was that I was extending WAY too far out. No wonder I ALWAYS had the plane on my tail when I went to wing-over or immelman.
The comment on the turning is good since my favorite shot to take is a crossing shot. I'll have to get some practice in on that maneuver.
Messiah, after you lose energy and you drop your flaps to turn with someone, how long can you sustain the turn before you turn stall?

You ideally want to be making a lot of vertical turns/maneuvers as the p38 can actually hang until 0 mph and beyond that. You can essentially sustain a flat turn forever with full flaps but should be using the p38's great vertical authority and lack of torque to e-fight.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 06:02:18 PM by Messiah »
Messiah(The O.G.)
The Blue Knights

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2010, 07:00:31 PM »
I would point you to the 479th's film archive but it seems their website is no longer up. The best thing you can do is watch films and study them. Most of the 'top'  p38 sticks fly to an engagement and will BnZ/E-fight as long as they can. The great thing about the p38 is once you loose your E-advantage you can mix it up with it's excellent flaps.

Think it finally came down when Murdr left and I'm too lazy and don't feel like bringing it back up.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Yenny

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 08:03:03 PM »
I can give you a 1 on 1 work session on BnZ and stuff
E .· ` ' / ·. F
Your tears fuel me.
Noobing since tour 96
Ze LuftVhiners Alliance - 'Don't Focke Wulf Us!'