Author Topic: next scenario, changing from Malta to Battle of Germany  (Read 5568 times)

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
next scenario, changing from Malta to Battle of Germany
« on: October 30, 2010, 07:21:24 PM »
Hello, all.

We had been thinking of running a Malta-based scenario prior to end of year.  However, there is Thanksgiving and Christmas holidays to deal with, which at best would push the schedule a bit forward and then require a 1-week gap in play.  Also, some recent map tweaks should have us do some more testing.  Talking it over with Fencer and ROC, they are not too keen on on the timing aspects and feel that it is too rushed, and so we are thinking it would be better to aim for the next scenario being Battle of Germany and running it very early in January.  Thus, we'd be forgoing another scenario in 2010 to have one (and a more-involved one) right away in January.

Online Kermit de frog

• Gold Member
      • LGM Films
Re: next scenario, changing from Malta to Battle of Germany
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2010, 07:34:32 PM »
Will we be fighting Stalin's, Winnie's and/or FDR's forces?

The black iron cross warriors will ride again!
Time's fun when you're having flies.

Offline Fencer51

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2010, 08:04:24 PM »

Fencer
The names of the irrelevant have been changed to protect their irrelevance.
The names of the innocent and the guilty have not been changed.
As for the innocent, everyone needs to know they are innocent –
As for the guilty… they can suck it.

Offline Husky01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 01:05:29 AM »
Thus, we'd be forgoing another scenario in 2010 to have one (and a more-involved one) right away in January.

Best news from the scenario team I've heard in a year. Its great to see someone start getting the ball rolling in the right direction.
BearKats
9GIAP VVS RKKA

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 12:59:29 PM »
thats fantastic news!

im going wherever Spikes (if he decides to reg) and WMLute are going. :salute
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 05:24:33 PM »
What map?

Offline DEECONX

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 07:07:51 PM »
Plane list?!?!?!  :O

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2010, 07:22:59 PM »
Think I might join up for this one :aok  Boy what would happen if I ended up on the same side as Kermit :O

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 10:14:22 PM »
I need to put more duct tape on my P-38
Strokes

Offline STXAce8

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2010, 03:28:15 PM »
What will the plane set be, or better what version of the 109 will it be?
ZLA- Don't Focke Wulf Us!
Ingame: Batz
Kommando Nowotny
Its over the top as Fack

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 07:49:14 PM »
I'd second the request for a preliminary planeset!

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2010, 09:11:58 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

And you drag me back in.... :mad:  I keep swearing off scenarios, and you keep making ones that have promise.  <sigh> 

Last gasp.  Let's hope some lessons have been written down.  :pray
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline Stampf

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2010, 09:22:35 AM »
This one shall be one not to miss.
- Der Wander Zirkus -
- La Fabrica de Exitos -

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 11:25:07 AM »
This has the opportunity to be a great event on many levels.

The design itself is in a good theater, and you will see a good blend of planes and opportunities for combat, but I'd like to speak to other opportunities that will be built into this event.

The terrain and setup will undergo a great deal of testing for playability and correct settings.  Once it is finalized, that is going to be the battle conditions.  They are not going to change.  The players will win or lose the event on their ability to team build and coordinate their efforts.  No war had the perfect conditions for any side.  Historically, one side always entered the fray in a dominant position, but the CM team has to take that historic battle and balance it for both sides to have an equal opportunity to win.  So of course there will be some fudging of historical accuracy.  We are playing a game here, not watching the military channel and reenacting a fight.

Stability in an event is the most important element we can deliver.  If we expect the COs and players to invest their time drafting plans, mission orders, drive players to the forums to stay involved, show up for the practice times and really invest in the scenario, the CMs should make sure you have an event that stays constant so you aren't changing 2 months of plans the week after the beta test.  

Our goal is to make sure you have the time to do this.  We will make sure the conditions are stable and lock them down.  The primary goal, at least so far as my personal objective, is to make sure you can count on, long term, the conditions of the battle.  The design of the scenario cannot be to change mid stream to overcome some perceived inequity, the design of the scenario is to be stable so you have the time to overcome the obstacles in front of you.  There are going to be obstacles, there are going to be mismatches, there are going to be problems, that's war, overcome them.   Again, we cannot possibly expect you to do this with any solid results if you are not provided the resources to do it.

The Beta Test will not be the place to test the settings and battle conditions.  It has never been the intention of the Beta frame to do this.  It has evolved into that role, but not this time.  The event will be complete and final before the beta.  The COs and Players will have had ample time to test, train and practice on a completed event and terrain long before the Beta.  The Beta Frame must be a fully attended event.  That will be the only frame you have to run as an entire team, to test your communications, your command structure, your interaction and find the missing links before the main battle. It won't be the place to see if we need to swap planes or spawn points. The planes fuel conditions and flight times will have been verified long before hand, and your job will be to deal with the conditions as they are. You will have been expected to drill and practice for a month or more before the Beta so changing after all of this time would be a waste.  It makes no sense to draft plans, graphically depicting waypoints and flightplans if we change the event after the Beta and you have a week to change it all.  That effort alone causes our strongest players to ask "why bother" and show minimal interest until late in the process.  It does no good at all to have an ongoing event "update" as you train and practice, again, because it causes too much confusion and distraction from your job.  The event, when published, will be complete and you will be expected to invest your time learning and dealing with the conditions faced, not negotiating changes.  
From the CM point of view, if the design has taken months to test and build on our end, and a change happens at the last minute, we do ourselves a disservice by not anticipating fully those unintended consequences of that last minute change.  So again, it's all about stability and Our testing fully each condition of the event, not relying on some performance chart to tell us what is going to happen or not.  And when the event is published, it will be complete.  Yes, there are going to be announcements so you can see our goal, but like the grand premier of Star Wars in the 70s, you got a teaser but the movie didn't change after the premier because the masses thought Chewies hair was the wrong color.  It is what it is.  

The CM team, when it shows the final design, will give you an event you can count on.  The COs will be driven to team build and given the opportunity to fully invest in the event.  The winning team will be the one who does this the best.  

We consider the Scenarios the premier event for Aces High.  A major production like this deserves it's full attention and investment from both the CMs and the Players.   We will be looking for COs and Command Staff that desires the stable platform to work from, and who will be willing to take advantage of the time they will be given to fully commit to this event, as we will fully commit to providing that stable battlefield.  

The COs are going to be vital for the event.  No CO ever had the full picture when tasked with a battle.  He or She was told, we are going to move to this front, and I need you to get ready, orders will follow.  They built a team on a cause, not the details.  Whether you fly in the pacific, euro, in a 109 or a P51, your leadership style is what will make or break your team.  The most successful CO will team build with nothing more than a general idea of a possible condition, and bring his/her players together to tackle "whatever" comes their way.  This is going to take team building, not waiting for the registration to open, this is not a draft where you simply have to deal with whoever shows up, this is a Team Building Event where you will have the tools you need to support the long effort you put towards your team.  Build a team that says "We'll do whatever, where ever, but let's get it done".  

We are looking for COs to lead.  Let us know if you are interested.  Make no mistake, there will be alot of work to do.  If you want your team to show up for the frames, then they need to participate early on in the planning, they need to be part of the discussions, they need to be driven to the training sessions, and they need to invest fully into the event.  They will show up on frame day, all frames, winning or losing, because they have invested too much time to walk away.  Again, our part of the bargain is we will provide a stable platform for you to plan on, and count on, and the support you need to make it happen.

Good to be back, looking forward to this event.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 11:28:46 AM by ROC »
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Krusty

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2010, 12:31:30 PM »
The COs are going to be vital for the event.  No CO ever had the full picture when tasked with a battle.  He or She was told, we are going to move to this front, and I need you to get ready, orders will follow.  They built a team on a cause, not the details.  

While I understand your points and I think I get where you're going and where you're coming from, this comment and some of the ones following it give me pause.

While I agree for the most part with all you've typed, I feel this comment strays a little too far into the "You go here and you deal with it" type of orders. These don't work. I can get behind minimalist orders, or free-range type of orders, but you have to have an idea of what you're doing.

You can't just set a unit up, build the team (so to speak) and then say "Yeah, you're all bombing in B-25s" at the last second. If it's a fighter mission they need to be able to know that's what they have to practice. If it's ground attack, they will need to know that. Even if you want to do the overcome-the-obstacles setup, you still need people to know what they're going into. There has to be a battle plan before the battle is launched.

I know this is probably not a concern for the upcoming scenario. You guys are putting a lot of work into it. However, I've seen in this game and in others that if you just throw people into the mess without a solid guide, a solid intent, you're just adding chum to the water. I wanted to add a cautionary note.

Speaking of cautionary notes:

Team building might work sometimes, but when you're trying to get people in planes 15 minutes before liftoff, you take what walkons you can and be GLAD you only at half strength. These people, regardless of their individual skills, may have no clue what the heck is going on and if it takes you 30 minutes to explain it to them, you could all be engaged before they "get it."