Author Topic: First B-29 Skins post.  (Read 16617 times)

Offline dirt911

• Nickel Member
Re: First B-29 Skins post.
« Reply #75 on: February 17, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
I read up on "Male Call".  :cry

Offline VonKost

• Copper Member
« Reply #76 on: February 17, 2011, 05:32:33 PM »
I'll skin your great uncle's B-29 VonKost, nice work on researching it. It will probably be a few weeks until I have time to do it though. Would you prefer it in CBI or Tinian tail markings?

Thanks Greebo, that is a very kind offer. I'm in no hurry so please take your time.

42-24472 should be in CBI markings. The diamond on the tail should be blue and the number 64 should be yellow. The 677th squadron color was red for the fuselage strip.

Here are some pics I just found today.

http://www.444thbg.org/deanwillisc.htm

This is a different crew, but the same B-29. I was confused by this, but this airframe must have changed crews at some point, probably more than once. The mission marks are different and it shows a list of crew members on the landing gear door that is not present on the photo's above. I'm not sure.

I just got off the phone with a gentleman Named Neal S. Crist that flew as a flight engineer on Sky Chief after my uncle evidently made the switch, so perhaps this was one of those old planes that everyone flew until they got a new one.

If you wanted to do 44-70002 it would be Tinian Triangle N with a 51 on the side of the fuselage. It would have the red stripe as well as a red stripe on the cowling with the number 51 on it. It was the new aircraft that crashed and I'm not even sure it had any nose art added yet.

In this book http://www.amazon.com/B-29-Superfortress-Comprehensive-Registry-Missions/dp/0786444584/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1297984234&sr=1-3 Both 42-24472 and 44-70002 are listed with the name of Sky Chief so maybe it was a direct replacement.

(44-70002) 677th BS Tinian Triangle N #51 - Combat Loss 05/17/1945

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #77 on: May 05, 2011, 04:39:39 PM »
If your a fan of the Mad magazine your going to like this B-29.

Sadly not enough info to do a skin at this point.

Offline TOMCAT21

• Silver Member
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2011, 12:23:39 AM »
I like the olive drab and the shiny metal finish.
RETIRED US Army/ Flying and dying since Tour 80/"We're paratroopers, Lieutenant, we're supposed to be surrounded." - Capt. Richard Winters.  FSO 412th FNVG/MA- REGULATORS

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2011, 02:07:45 AM »
unfortionatly you are wrong my russian friend. the Soviets couldnt of made it better, the only really good thing in my opinion to come out of russia is vodka and the AK 47s. but tanks airplanes and cars! HAA! they kill more of their own crews then of the enemy. so i highly disagree that they would have made the TU-4(B-29) better then the great original design of the B-29 that the US built.

BTW I like the B-29(spearhead) alot :salute Semper Fi to those marines who fought bravely and valiantly on Iwo Jima.
You could not be more wrong . For instance the Soviet equivalent of our MOPP <the evergreen chemical protective suit I believe> gear was vastly superior to ours . Not only in how well it protected but in the all important fatigue factor . The RPG is another example of not just good but but superior equipment . Soviet simple equipment has almost always proven to be both robust and reliable . Where it began to break down was as it became more complex . Good example of this is night vision . A lot of it is on the civilian market today . Every piece I have seen is just terrible .

Offline hlbly

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2011, 02:11:31 AM »
its not that. i was just saying everything that the russian make vehicle and plane wise falls apart or kills the operator. i like the russians, and i have many russian friends. but when it comes to vehicles. i would much rather have a lancia over a russian car. im sorry if people misread that. i ment that they couldnt of made it better even if they had the right tools, and measurments.
You should look over the Tu-95 the T-34 the Mig17 just to name a few things you are wrong about . The Mig17 beat the crap out of us in Vietnam until we quit thinking our pilots did not need to know how to dogfight .