Author Topic: Sir, We need to do a body scan..."No Thank You"  (Read 3366 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: Sir, We need to do a body scan..."No Thank You"
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 06:28:47 PM »
The lead skirt is to prevent inadvertent sterilization or over-raidiation to delicate internal organs via X-ray, primarily this would be your liver (sensistive to radiation), digestive tract (the good bacteria you need in it to properly digest), and in your case - your boys (for women, the ovaries).  The most important thing though is the technician/doctor needs to leave the room and/or get behind some heavy-duty radiation shielding, as repeated and long-term exposure to their bodies (working around it all day, every day) would be most hazardous and make them extremely sick from radiation poisoning.  Since most radiology departments have each X-ray room completely and independently shielded to prevent the radiation from interfeering with any other testing going on outside the imediate room (or to expose anyone except the intended individual), the safest place to be to avoid any radiation at all is to simply exit the room and close the door.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 09:14:35 PM »
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

- Benjamin Franklin

Honestly, if they wanna blow up a plane they will find a way to do it. They will get a job as a baggage handler, or just overcharge a laptop battery

Sadly, I agree with you completely.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline MORAY37

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »
Someone sees you with no clothes on?  Big deal.  I saw those planes hit the towers, and I had 3 friends die when they fell.  I'm all for personal liberty but if you're too shy to be body-scanned then plan on driving everywhere.  Safety is a bit more important.

The problem with these scans is that they are all show for the average joe american.  He sees these big wham bang machines, and says, "Well I saw the towers fall, and damn if they don't have this new technology, I feel safe!". He waits in the security line for the requisite hour fifteen, and goes to the terminal.  Meanwhile, the freight that the airlines carry arrives 15 minutes before departure, and is barely looked at.  It's all for show.  

Secondly, they are being seriously misused by the TSA agents themselves.  There are going to be serious lawsuits

As we reported yesterday, claims that the body scanners did not provide details of genitals were DISPROVEN after a London Guardian journalist who was present at a trial for the machines earlier this week reported that the devices produce an image which make “genitals eerily visible.” Indeed, as was admitted when the scanners were first being rolled out over a year ago, they don’t function properly if areas of the body are blurred out. A report from October 2008, when the naked body scanners were first being introduced at Melbourne Airport in Australia, detailed how the X-ray backscatter devices don’t work properly unless the genitals of people going through them are visible.

Rep. Jason Chaffetz said the body scanners give an explicit view of a naked person. "It is a whole-body image, and they can spin it 360 degrees. And they can zoom in and see something as small as a nickel or dime," he said. "But they can't spot something hidden in a body cavity. A good old-fashioned sniffing dog is more effective."

A quick google will show what level of detail is available to the Xray backscatter images...and it's MUCH better than the pictures you see on the news.  There will be some staff somewhere that starts saving these pictures and has their "collection" found out at some point.

Add to that the millimeter wavelengths can really harm your DNA and mess with replication.....

I am seriously at odds with this, and the application of this technology in this way.  
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 11:25:19 PM by MORAY37 »
"Ocean: A body of water occupying 2/3 of a world made for man...who has no gills."
-Ambrose Bierce

Offline oneway

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2010, 11:45:03 PM »
If your not pissed off you are not paying attention...

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2010, 11:51:55 PM »
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline Perrine

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2010, 12:07:18 AM »
How will they handle Transsexual flyers that need to get patted down?
...especially if they havn't had their legal gender changed yet

Offline Jayhawk

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2010, 12:17:04 AM »
How will they handle Transsexual flyers that need to get patted down?
...especially if they havn't had their legal gender changed yet

What does this matter?
LOOK EVERYBODY!  I GOT MY NAME IN LIGHTS!

Folks, play nice.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 16, 2010, 03:11:09 AM »
call me a cynic, but most of the money we spend on homeland security has nothing to do with making us safe, most of it is wasted or given to really good friends on some bs contracts.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #23 on: November 16, 2010, 04:30:04 AM »
call me a cynic, but most of the money we spend on homeland security has nothing to do with making us safe, most of it is wasted or given to really good friends on some bs contracts.

semp

Since when do tax dollars in any country go to the things the country needs?
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2010, 09:31:20 AM »
It's threads like this that make me wish the O'Club was a hidden, opt-in forum that you had to request access to.  I used to learn a lot here.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Raptor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »
Someone sees you with no clothes on?  Big deal.  I saw those planes hit the towers, and I had 3 friends die when they fell.  I'm all for personal liberty but if you're too shy to be body-scanned then plan on driving everywhere.  Safety is a bit more important.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
- Benjamin Franklin, 'Pennsylvania Assembly: November 11, 1755.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2010, 11:59:09 AM »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
- Benjamin Franklin, 'Pennsylvania Assembly: November 11, 1755.

Health issues aside (thanks Nefarious!) I don't see how being body scanned is an infringement of "essential liberty" when the issue is commercial aviation safety.  You can argue about the effectiveness of body-scanning perhaps, but even if it only serves a deterrent to the amateur terrorist then it's done its job. 

The health aspect is another matter, and as proved above quite beyond my scope.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Serenity

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2010, 12:23:17 PM »
I'm not too pleased about this body scan, just because I'm not comfortable with getting a bunch of X-rays fired at my entire body. I've been through some of the most personal physicals you can get without calling it sexual harassment for the military. I'm not shy. I just don't want my junk fried.

Offline FLOTSOM

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2010, 01:30:21 PM »
OK so everyone that has an issue with the potential health aspect of these machines let me ask you a question or two.......

do you smoke? do you reside in proximity to anyone who does?

do you drive a car or are you exposed in any fashion to any petroleum by product?

do any of you ever go outside during the daytime and leave any skin exposed to the sun for more than just a few seconds?

do any of you use ANY man made products of any kind?

do any of you breathe the air without filtering it first?

do any of you................

well you get the idea. just being alive is the slow process of dieing and i seriously doubt these machines are going to accelerate your demise. but if they do them let me be the first to say "I  :salute your sacrifice made on behalf of the safety of the rest of us"

and to those who would quote those that lived hundreds of years ago.......well they didn't have underwear an shoe bombers to live with did they? the times change with technology and what was once a given truth is no longer completely true in today's world. the constitution was written in a vague and abstract manner so that it may be allowed to change in meaning with the change in time and circumstance. don't take every quote and speech given by our predecessors to be completely accurate and applicable in today's world.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2010, 01:33:06 PM by FLOTSOM »
FLOTSOM

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups!
Quote from Skuzzy
"The game is designed to encourage combat, not hide from it."
http://www.myspace.com/prfctstrngr

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2010, 01:30:22 PM »
Be fun to have a browse of some adult magazines and get something 'going' before you got scanned  :devil