Author Topic: Underlying arena issue is still there.  (Read 492 times)

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
Underlying arena issue is still there.
« on: November 22, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »
This new change to a off hours arena is fine by me...but to many people it is not.
In my opinion this new arena only sweeps the dust from one end of the room to another.

The system that has been in place was to allow 400 players in both arenas till a set time of day...this would put 215 people in LWO and about 16 in LWB.
What is the advantage to having one LW arena when we did before till that set time of day basically?

When the new single arena closes many feel they are losing their hard work that day because if they don't get on that same time tomorrow its all for not...even though the fields are saved.
I think everyone would be more pleased with just changing the time of the 2 LW caps to those of primetime Euro.

Then everyone is happy you have 300 people in LWO till cap sets in and maybe 50 in blue...those 50 in blue could get into orange if they wanted.

But, and I dont mean this with any disrespect...those 50 PROBABLY don't want to fight 300 people they want to attack less heavily defended bases.

Some would tell these people to play offline if they dont want a challenge but a serious portion of AH would prefer this I believe.

Choice is all I'm suggesting just change the dynamic caps to set in at the same time as the new arena change time.

This way everyone wins  :salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Underlying arena issue is still there.
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2010, 03:43:34 PM »
How would you know "everybody wins"? The people at HTC are pretty smart. I'm thinking they could have come up with the answer of just moving the start times around. This then leads me to believe that they have a pretty good reason for NOT doing that. That reason must cover a place where "somebody looses".

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2010, 03:53:44 PM »
Quite often the room with less folks had better fights.

I think the new setup will work after a few tweaks. Saturday was just another titanic tuesday. Every plane you find, high, co-alt, or low would dive to ack. Even when they had superior numbers there.

Maybe weekends they keep the split arenas. I don't think the europeans are having issues on the weekends. Of course I am not sure about that. Maybe some will chime in and educate us on how the weekends look to them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2010, 03:56:08 PM »
Of course I am not sure about that. Maybe some will chime in and educate us on how the weekends look to them.

My simplest "solution" would have been keeping caps on weekends, while abolishing them during weekdays (while still keeping 2 arena format, so players do have a choice) ;)

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2010, 03:58:46 PM »
My simplest "solution" would have been keeping caps on weekends, while abolishing them during weekdays (while still keeping 2 arena format, so players do have a choice) ;)

I, for one, think your idea that they are implimenting now has alot going for it. Like anything else with so many folks together..... it will need tweaking.

I had not even seen your post till the HT post linking to it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 04:05:03 PM »
Good points but...Having 1 arena DOES condense everyone into a horde which is the reason I've been led to believe is for the caps.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 04:08:10 PM »
Good points but...Having 1 arena DOES condense everyone into a horde which is the reason I've been led to believe is for the caps.

No, it was not.  :)

And by the way, having two arenas often leads to one country hording (or "dominating") one map, another team hording the second one...
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2010, 04:11:21 PM »
But this change was all brought about to appease the European population or try to at least.

Personally this doesn't effect me at all because the caps are same as usual by the time I log on but many players seem TO'ed

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2010, 04:14:04 PM »
But this change was all brought about to appease the European population or try to at least.

Personally this doesn't effect me at all because the caps are same as usual by the time I log on but many players seem TO'ed

Well it should help the Euros but I belive it is not designed to just help them. Folks here in the US work odd hours and such. It will help them too.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2010, 04:17:21 PM »
The only people I saw TOed were the ones that got tied up in the error they had in the program. Once the bugs are worked out, they may even tweak the start times for the weekend as well, but I think it's been a pretty big success from what I've read.

The dar issue, well thats a whole different ....thread  :D

Offline Belial

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2010, 04:29:29 PM »
Ok i guess we will see...I just don't see much difference.

Offline RufusLeaking

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2010, 05:50:30 PM »
When the new single arena closes many feel they are losing their hard work that day because if they don't get on that same time tomorrow its all for not...even though the fields are saved.
There should be no "hard work" in the game.  I did see a base take take interrupted.  I felt bad for the guys at the time, but, this could add some urgency to a fight in the form of a dead line.  Suspense is good. 

One certainly good thing is that the new arena flip flushes the afk guys.
GameID: RufLeak
Claim Jumpers

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2010, 06:28:56 PM »
No plan that any of you have (except zone eny) will fix the hording going on. That is simply players looking for the path of least resistance.

I bet if we had 3 arenas, we would have the rooks in one, bish hording in the second, and the knits hording in the last one.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2010, 06:32:33 PM »
The only people I saw TOed were the ones that got tied up in the error they had in the program. Once the bugs are worked out, they may even tweak the start times for the weekend as well, but I think it's been a pretty big success from what I've read.

The dar issue, well thats a whole different ....thread  :D

+1
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.