Author Topic: LOL if you switch countries, no wonder you're not in a squad!  (Read 1378 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: LOL if you switch countries, no wonder you're not in a squad!
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2010, 10:32:30 PM »
Your game newz play it how you like it  :salute

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2010, 11:41:13 PM »
True to form I logged on.  TT, big crowd.  First flight, first kill.  Was a squaddie.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Soulyss

• Platinum Member
      • Aces High Events
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2010, 12:32:37 AM »
Also true to form everyone logged on and switched countries to fly with squaddies and ended up on the same opposing sides but reversed now. :)
80th FS "Headhunters"
I blame mir.

Offline cactuskooler

• Skinner Team
  • Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »
I logged on and found myself on Knights. Three squaddies were Bish, and two Rooks. Now that's a dilemma.

So I switched to Bish because one of my Rook squaddies was going to Hawaii without me. After my hour was up, those of us on Bish went to Rooks to accompany a lone squadling. Was on all three sides tonight!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 12:38:14 AM by cactuskooler »
cactus
80th FS "Headhunters"

Noseart

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2010, 02:18:45 AM »
I will never ever fly Knights they are appalling :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline klingan

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2010, 05:44:38 AM »
I will never ever fly Knights they are appalling :old:

:rofl

The Few GFC

Offline 4deck

• Silver Member
      • (+) Precision
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2010, 06:18:31 AM »
Your game newz play it how you like it  :salute

Last I looked you pay for it, Do whatever makes you happy.
Forgot who said this while trying to take a base, but the quote goes like this. "I cant help you with ack, Im not in attack mode" This is with only 2 ack up in the town while troops were there, waiting. The rest of the town was down.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2010, 06:34:55 AM »
First I'd like to say that this is a great game. I'm very glad HTC put this product out and are continuing to support it.

To some of the name calling rooks who wanted to know who the f newz was, when I defended switching countries on country channel.....
i'm a 5 year vet who has done and seen it all in this game.

I'm not currently in a squad and haven't been for some time because of several reasons.........

1. I like to jump from hot spot to hot spot. Even bailing out,(oh my, there goes my fighter score) from a ride when there's not much happening locally.

2. I have no desire to be in a group of green guys circling a field waiting to gang the 1 brave soul who wants to up and fight.

3. I have no fear of dieing in my cartoon ride and will fight against bad odds each and every sortie.(believe it or not this attitude has helped me plenty)
    I may not win in a 3v1 often but I can hold my own very well now.

You know it's funny. I happened to to show up at a field where someone had broadcast on range that "CV6 needs help". Sure enough those who wanted to call
me a moron for switching countries, were there in droves. Seriously there must have been at least
a 7 to 1 advantage for green. How a field, that has a 7 to 1 advantage for attackers, needs help, is beyond me.

I fight hard for what ever country I'm flying for and all you name calling twits can feel free to invite me to the DA anytime you think you want to teach me a lesson.  :devil
For most of you I'm afraid, you'll have to break out of the "I only fight from an advantage" mentality to give me a good fight.

Ignore em and play the game your way.   Some Rooks still PM me and say "Hi", but I don't miss the backstabbing.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2010, 07:23:04 AM »

LOL, log in and ask what's going on?

Squadie answers with need help at base such n such

.move ***, only to be told you can't move to that base   :mad:

Spending the next 10 min trying to figure out if you heard the base number wrong, or if you just can't type, so try try again.   :headscratch:  Then finally realize your the wrong chess piece.   :furious

Happens all the time.  :D
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline Zazen13

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2010, 07:27:49 AM »
The Muppets switch too. But, just knee jerk switching to the low-side isn't necessarily the right move.  Often the two low countries are ganging up on the higher #'d country. Say Knights have 100 people and Rooks and Bish each have 75 people. Often , especially on certain maps, the combined 150 Bish & Rooks are almost exclusively arrayed against the 100 Knights, putting them at a crushing disadvantage, so switching off Knights would actually hurt gameplay. So, before you switch, check the map to see how the forces are arrayed. Also, if there are more than 100 people in an arena anything less than 10% variance between #'s has negligible impact on gameplay. Now, if there's less than 100 people in the arena 10% or even less disparity can make a dramatic difference in gameplay.

I have seen squaddies log-in, check country status with 300+ people in the arena, see Rooks have 8 less people than Knights and switch to Rooks, which is just silly from a statistical perspective. Without factoring in how forces are arrayed and understanding the concept of statistical insignificance this kind of move would at best have zero impact on gameplay and could possibly hurt gameplay if forces are arrayed disproportionately, which they almost always are to some degree.

The above example exemplifies one glaring shortcoming of the side balancing measures in place. It doesn't take into account how the forces of each country are arrayed. Just because a team has more people on paper doesn't mean they are not getting tag teamed by the other two simply because they happen to be sitting in the reset corner of a particular map. The opposite can be true too, a team with low #'s in reset corner can be fighting both the two higher number country's forces so their actual numerical disadvantage is much, much worse than the side-balancing measures calculate.

This is when people get really pissed off about the side balancing and ENY stuff. Just last week this happened and it happens all the time. All day Knights had the most #'s, throughout the day they were even penalized by the ENY limiter. But, all day, with the exception of perhaps a dozen Rooks and Bish combined fighting each other off and on, everyone else was fighting Knights. So, in reality they were numerically disadvantaged all day AND getting penalized by the ENY limiter. But, if you checked the Country Status it would look like they had a healthy numbers lead on paper, in reality they were getting swamped and losing bases left and right...So, anyone who switches without examining the map, purely based on the Country Status readout, is deeply flawed and just as likely to do harm as good to overall gameplay...

As a general rule, even without examining the map, if the difference between a given side is less then the average number of idle players not in-flight, you're not accomplishing anything by switching...So, switching can be a huge boon to gameplay if done for the right reason based upon the right information. But, it can also hurt gameplay if done for the right reason but based upon the wrong information. This is especially true for high impact players..those that kill a lot, therefore have a disproportionately higher impact on gameplay balance than your average player.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2010, 08:35:03 AM by Zazen13 »
Zazen PhD of Cherrypickology
Author of, "The Zen Art of Cherrypicking" and other related works.
Quote, "Cherrypicking is a state of mind & being, not only Art and Scienc

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2010, 07:32:55 AM »
The people who out rank me tell me what to do everyday at work.....I don't need to be told to do anything on my own time.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2010, 11:01:02 AM »
But who really thinks its cool when you get shot down by some dude who 3 minutes earlier was just next to you attacking that base. 

Not that I really care,  but my post count is weak...

bolded text ROTFLMAO

:aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 24, 2010, 11:18:11 AM »
Many players are getting somewhat wary if you one of the "always loyal" guys in a big squad... and then suddenly show up "on the other side" - particularly when you are just sitting in the tower of a cv ;)

But if you are known to be a fencehopper, it's usually all ok. I switch a lot and almost never get any flak for it but always a warm welcome.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline TW9

• Silver Member
      • http://www.tedwilliams.com
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2010, 11:22:56 AM »
I just spy on claim jumper goons  :aok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynrxag5_VFA
Quote from: sax
The community lacks personality , thank #@# for TW9 or
there would'nt even be anyone --------- left .
Quote from: Krusty
Edit2: BAN the ass-hat. That's not skuzzy, that's a tard named TW9